The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Just now, El Zen said:

Hardly been involved first 30 at Brentford, playing as a false nine.

It’s been like watching a different Jack Grealish this season. You have to put it down to settling in, playing various unfamiliar positions and being restricted to quick passing football than running at people with the ball but he is a shadow of himself, not involved and when he is he’s been poor.

• Like 2

Just now, nick76 said:

It’s been like watching a different Jack Grealish this season. You have to put it down to settling in, playing various unfamiliar positions and being restricted to quick passing football than running at people with the ball but he is a shadow of himself, not involved and when he is he’s been poor.

To be fair, I’ve actively avoided waching them for the most part, so I shouldn’t comment either way. But from this game, you couldn’t tell he was the same player we loved and adored. He’s also playing out of position. A striker he is not.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Jack's doing what he's told by Pep. He's obviously not in the clique up there, the pressure to do well but not being able to do what comes natural will drain the life out of him.

Not when the trophies and pay cheques come in 

And he must have known this when he signed... Not going to be the star, not going to be the maverick, not going to get a lot of the ball but going to win the league, a few cups and maybe a CL

And I think a lot of footballers would make the same decision 

He's 25 with a playoff win to his name, even if he does only do the 3 years and fail there he'll probably walk away with 5 trophies to his name 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

All this talk about how it takes a season to settle into one of peps teams is frankly a load of crap, it’s football for Christ sake. And at £100 million, you should be expected to play to a high standard regardless.

The problem is he has been enjoying the Manchester party/influencer scene, it’s not been as easy as he thought to just show up  in a team full of talented players and double his goals and assists, so now he is feeling the pressure of underperforming at a new club where standards are high. 

You know what, he might never settle at City.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Jack's doing what he's told by Pep. He's obviously not in the clique up there, the pressure to do well but not being able to do what comes natural will drain the life out of him.

Pep is a genius but something seems lost in translation at the moment between them. 40 minutes gone and he’s done nothing, you can see him being subbed second half if this continues.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

All this talk about how it takes a season to settle into one of peps teams is frankly a load of crap, it’s football for Christ sake. And at £100 million, you should be expected to play to a high standard regardless.

The problem is he has been enjoying the Manchester party/influencer scene, it’s not been as easy as he thought to just show up  in a team full of talented players and double his goals and assists, so now he is feeling the pressure of underperforming at a new club where standards are high. 

You know what, he might never settle at City.

Better players than grealish have apparently had the same issue, bernardo silva who must be in contention for best player in the PL right now (along with salah maybe) is one for example 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Not when the trophies and pay cheques come in 

And he must have known this when he signed... Not going to be the star, not going to be the maverick, not going to get a lot of the ball but going to win the league, a few cups and maybe a CL

And I think a lot of footballers would make the same decision 

Sadly all true V4E.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Pep is a genius but something seems lost in translation at the moment between them. 40 minutes gone and he’s done nothing, you can see him being subbed second half if this continues.

Mad signing, just just doesn't fit in to the way they operate at all....... Yet.

20 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Hardly been involved first 30 at Brentford, playing as a false nine.

Been almost completely anonymous. 

Then again he's a left winger.  Nothing else, he's never looked half the player playing in another position. 

It really bugs me when a player covets a position they are just not as good in. 

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Been almost completely anonymous. 

Then again he's a left winger.  Nothing else, he's never looked half the player playing in another position. 

It really bugs me when a player covets a position they are just not as good in. 

His unique talent was always ball progession, with the ball and passing the ball after creating the space.

Playing on the shoulder of the defence and not being passed to when he does offer short is not his game. Passenger.

• Like 1

this is the first time I’ve watched him since he left us and I have to say he looks a pale shadow of the player that left us.

He may well come good again after any settling in period or system of play change etc but at the moment he’s anything but a 100mil player. 

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

Mad signing, just just doesn't fit in to the way they operate at all....... Yet.

I agree, like when Benteke went to Liverpool, you could just see he didn’t fit their style at the time.  

Pep is obviously far more qualified than me to judge but I really thought Pep was buying him to add another dimension to their play in that having somebody run at the opposition rather than quick one-twos but Pep trying to make him play one-twos and almost eliminated (so far) his driving runs.  Jack is good at one twos but it’s not his best strength and certainly not at Man City level, his world class attribute was running at players with the ball.  It seems a very strange buy to do that and there are more appropriate players for that but maybe in 18 months it’ll be different and Jack will be lauded there.  I don’t see him being a false 9 ever though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spoony said:

He looks so incredibly meh. But can’t deny that he is starting most games, and they are winning most games, so whatever his role is in this system it’s impossible to say it isn’t working

To be fair they are winning despite him in some of the games.  Even this game, if he wasn’t on the pitch and City were playing with 10 men, they’d still be winning, he’s been anonymous.

Â