The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

47 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

When did the term pivot for a midfield become a popular thing and why?

Possibly at about the same time that the perfectly fine (and more euphonious word) 'poisonous' started getting dropped in favour of the dull buzzword 'toxic'.  Why? hard to say.  Maybe using punchy words containing letters like 'v' and 'x' makes the user feel as though he or she is living in a world of swish, sharp-angled megalopolises?

2 minutes ago, Thug said:

I assumed the pivot to mean that the two holding midfielders had an imaginary ‘pivot’ point between them.  A bit like a seesaw.  The further forward one of them is, the further back the other is.  Supposedly allowing both of them ‘creative freedom’ so long as the other is covering defensive duty.

I've also heard "double-pivot" - two 6's and "single-pivot" - one 6 so I think it refers to the change in direction of the play in general and whether one or two players are used. But to be honest I'm just surmising.

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

I heard him make reference to the centre 2 , but missed that bit......but, shows how crucial that centre is.....They were dogged and dilligent, but it's not eye candy JV, so it gets overlooked in some quarters.

He eventually corrected himself, but I could tell he was about to mess it up with how much he was hesitating and looking bemused after he said Declan.

Still a funny moment.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Southgate maybe thought, why nullify his talent, by playing for 90 minutes.....let the others do the mundane work.....Jack provides the silk to the game and his measured passing is sublime...maybe Gareth is playing him right, why dilute his talent, in a sea of mundane play.

The impact role is starting to make sense, isn't it: Grealish gets a stage entrance and a cheer all to himself, and England draws on it as an energy and confidence boost.  Bit of an airy strategy nevertheless, playing a largely conservative, containing game for sixty-odd minutes and then unleashing Grealish to lift the atmosphere and add an X-factor to the pattern of play.  I'm wondering if there isn't a bit of fitness management being snuck in under cover of that.  Maybe there's a concern about how well and for how long his shins can 100% hold up.

Edited by deck

18 minutes ago, Thug said:

I assumed the pivot to mean that the two holding midfielders had an imaginary ‘pivot’ point between them.  A bit like a seesaw.  The further forward one of them is, the further back the other is.  Supposedly allowing both of them ‘creative freedom’ so long as the other is covering defensive duty.

Thats my understanding.

6 hours ago, birdman said:

Has happened numerous times. I just hope that with more confidence and stature within the group Jack will be more vocal and damand the ball. Mainly though the instruction should be coming from Southgate. Lets hope they analyse such things and ask why they're not passing to the man who can do the damage. 

As good as Sterling was last night his decision making for passes was pretty poor I think. 

I thought the same..

I don't think Harry would have got that cross, if not for Jack.......many would have shot for goal.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, deck said:

The impact role is starting to make sense, isn't it: Grealish gets a stage entrance and a cheer all to himself, and England draws on it as an energy and confidence boost.  Bit of an airy strategy nevertheless, playing a largely conservative, containing game for sixty-odd minutes and then unleashing Grealish to lift the atmosphere and add an X-factor to the pattern of play.  I'm wondering if there isn't a bit of fitness management being snuck in under cover of that.  Maybe there's a concern about how well and for how long his shins can 100% hold up.

I have to be honest, I don't really get the idea of him being a super sub. 

He came on against Scotland and did nothing. And whilst he played his part, he wasn't heavily involved when he came on last night. 

Against the Czech we played our best attacking football of the tournament with him starting, where he also got an assist and we won the game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

and the disappearenace of "Sweeper".....where has sweeper gone to?.....presumably someone still does it.

DCM seems to have entered the language recently. I would say that's probably a sweeper? 

37 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

As you say, it's a word used to communicate the action of "receiving the ball facing their goal and then pivot to release the ball". It's reducing the number of words from 13 to 1 which is actually the opposite of stupid. It's actually pretty clever.

It's just language in general and it doesn't matter whether you're discussing football, engineering, medicine, gardening or some other topic. The words used will always develop and change constantly.

We'll have to disagree here...I don't think there is anything clever about it. I think people use it to appear clever. A DM's role isn't just about pivoting therefore the term being used to describe a position is as TRO said, it's just trying to make something appear modern/new. In any role on a pitch you never just pivot and let's be fair most players other than the keeper will pivot during a game as it just means to simply 'turn'. 

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He came on against Scotland and did nothing. And whilst he played his part, he wasn't heavily involved when he came on last night. 

Against the Czech we played our best attacking football of the tournament with him starting, where he also got an assist and we won the game. 

Equally, I don't see Jack being able to play the same as he does for Villa.....This tournamant has shown a cautious approach from many teams and so far GS has got it right.

I too, being a Villa fan, have been miffed at his ommisions, but I am warming to it gradually....Maybe GS is not as daft as we maybe thought.

Jack is also, wallowing in the adulation of the late entry, where fans are busting a gut to see a bit of Flamboyance.....It is playing in to the hands of Jacks profile, it is making him more important, not less.....The fans are all calling his name, its a wave of support and assurance....He couldn't expect more from a 90 minutes.

So far ,Jack has been the common denominator, towards our golden moments, i.e goals, he has been instrumental in most of them.....I think GS is saving him for those special moments, in the game.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

DCM seems to have entered the language recently. I would say that's probably a sweeper? 

A Sweeper is/was positioned behind the back line between keeper and defence. Historically the senior defender in a team and generally the slowest. God I'm getting old. 

• Like 1

Loads of people playing down Jack's role in the first goal just because it was a 'five yard ball'. Let me tell you, many of our other players would have messed that move up.

First of all he spots the pass, and he's the master of weighting a pass. Puts it perfectly for Shaw to not have to break stride to play it first time. Seems simple but I'd love to see the outcome should Sterling for example have been in that position. And that's not having a pop at Sterling, he played well yesterday.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

my understanding of a sweeper, was a deep lying Center Back i.e Franz Beckenbauer.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Pressure was off a bit for the Czech game; England had already qualified for the next stage by then, and the team could play more expansively. From what I've seen, Shaw and Kane notably tend to look for Grealish and bring him into play, but he's not going to be the orchestrator for England like he is for Villa.  

Â