The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

I think in situations like this a ref should just award a free kick unless the player is diving to win a penalty.

What?!

Not sure what other form of English to put this in.

If a player is gaining no advantage from the dive, i.e. they are not trying to win a penalty, they are not getting a free kick in a key area, they are not defending a breakaway leading to a goal, or trying to get a player sent off, then the ref should use common sense and award the free kick against them, unless he is 100% sure it was a deliberate dive which I just don't think is possible.

Grealish was breaking forward when he allegedly dived, if he won a free kick it would have barely been in the opposition half, plus the breakaway would have been lost, so why would he dive at that point?

Lol.

"Not getting a free kick in a key area". What if there's someone on the team who can kick the ball really far?

Plenty of players dive when there isn't a clear goalscoring opportunity fo a any number of reasons, whether it's to break up a spell of limited possession, or because they'er under pressure, or maybe to get a key opponent carded to minimise his threat.

Conning the ref is cheating, which by it's very definition is against the rules. You seem to be advocating adding a whole new layer of totally subjective regulations to a set of rules that is already wide open to abuse, simply because one of our players got sent off for diving.

Edited by B94villa
  • Like 2

I don't see it either way, it was just a barely coming together of two players, they both ended up on the floor with the ball rolling towards the keeper. Sensible refereeing would have just played on.

Cool, thanks...I was at a wedding and I've had quite a few none villa fans txt/msg me that it was "never a red". Still didnt manage to see in all its glory yet (the match)

I think in situations like this a ref should just award a free kick unless the player is diving to win a penalty.

What?!

If a player is gaining no advantage from the dive, i.e. they are not trying to win a penalty, they are not getting a free kick in a key area, they are not defending a breakaway leading to a goal, or trying to get a player sent off, then the ref should use common sense and award the free kick against them, unless he is 100% sure it was a deliberate dive which I just don't think is possible.

Grealish was breaking forward when he allegedly dived, if he won a free kick it would have barely been in the opposition half, plus the breakaway would have been lost, so why would he dive at that point?

I understood, I just couldn't believe you were saying it.

You do realise that would just mean everyone would fall on the ground as soon as it looked like they were going to get tackled and they'd get a free kick.

The game would be an endless sequence of one player running 10 yards, falling over, winning a free kick. Run 10 yards, fall over, win a free kick. Repeat until penalty area is reached.

You haven't thought this one through at all.

• Like 2

The consensus seems to be that it wasn't a dive (even though I think it was).

But no, you can't appeal two yellows.

But at least a harsh sending off? Guess he has no other option, 2nd bookable offence if the ref believes it to be simulation.

Just a little frustrating as so much worse is let off, you'd have thought with how much time left to go just waiving it on might be an option?

I think he was unlucky to be sent off. And I think if the ref hadn't just sent of Yacob he'd have stayed on the pitch.

But I think there's enough in it that even if we could appeal, it wouldn't get overturned.

What?!

You do realise that would just mean everyone would fall on the ground as soon as it looked like they were going to get tackled and they'd get a free kick.

The game would be an endless sequence of one player running 10 yards, falling over, winning a free kick. Run 10 yards, fall over, win a free kick. Repeat until penalty area is reached.

They already have that.

It's called rugby league.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

Diving insinuates no contact... There was contact between Grealish and Lescott on the way to Jack hitting the deck...

Whether that is because Lescott tackled poorly, missed the ball and hit him accidently OR Lescott tackled poorly, missed the ball and Jack clipped him on purpose to play for the foul... The fact remains, Jack was impeded from running onwards because of a poorly timed tackle from an opposition player...

We should have had a free kick and Jack should never have been sent off...

On what planet is that not cheating?
On Earth IF Joleon Lescott cleanly tackles the ball and knocks it away instead of missing the ball altogether.

However, on Saturday, on Earth, Lescott didn't get the ball... He committed to a tackle, hit the floor, missed the ball and got the player... He didn't mean to get the player, but he got him nonetheless... He will have to work on his tackling...

That's just nonsense. May aswell outlaw any attempt at tackling if that's case.
Explain your logic. We already have rules for this.

Just because someone misses a tackle doesnt mean the opposing player has a right to ensure contact and the free kick.

Its a bit hard to avoid contact when the person missing the tackle is built like a fridge freezer and has thrown himself in front of you... In my opinion, it wasnt meant as a tackle for the ball anyway; he was trying to get in Jacks way...

When Jack was drawing fouls against Hull earlier this season, A lot of people thought it best thing since sliced bread... Now an opponent makes a mistake and he does the same and people are criticising the lad...

I have no problem with a good clean tackle... Even if its a strong one... but the bottom line with a tackle is that you get the ball... If you tackle someone, don't get the ball and impede their play, its a foul...

Edited by DJ_Villain
  • Like 3

What?!

They already have that.

It's called rugby union.

*league

Looks like a dive to me.

This whole new evasive action argument is bollocks IMO. If he was going to get hit then do it and get the free kick. Its only running in to another man ffs its hardly going to kill him.

If you jumped over a 2 footed lunge the other player would probably get sent off for intent anyway.

If hes not going to get hit, go past him and be in 1 on 1.

Its a bit hard to avoid contact when the person missing the tackle is built like a fridge freezer and has thrown himself in front of you... In my opinion, it wasnt meant as a tackle for the ball anyway; he was trying to get in Jacks way...

When Jack was drawing fouls against Hull earlier this season, A lot of people thought it best thing since sliced bread... Now an opponent makes a mistake and he does the same and people are criticising the lad...

I have no problem with a good clean tackle... Even if its a strong one... but the bottom line with a tackle is that you get the ball... If you tackle someone, don't get the ball and impede their play, its a foul...

This. The only debate with that incident was whether or not he deliberately got himself fouled, and afaik there isn't a rule against doing that anyway.

This. The only debate with that incident was whether or not he deliberately got himself fouled, and afaik there isn't a rule against doing that anyway.

There's a big difference between drawing a foul and diving.

Vs WBA it was the latter.

There's a big difference between drawing a foul and diving.

Vs WBA it was the latter.

Or you could say that there's a big difference between diving and going down after a foul, and by the argument above, it was a foul.

What?!

No i did and then I made fun of myself as i was talking dobbins. 

But if you need to feel right through exaggeration and repetition, go ahead, the fun never ends.

Edited by VillanousOne

Â