The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Its not even that harsh a report.

However, have you got the minerals to keep working hard and succeed Jack? This man did.

Watford fan site loan report of Gabriel Agbonlahor

http://www.bsad.org/bsad.html

Right, first of all, let me get one thing straight: The transfer regulations are rubbish. My interpretation of an ‘emergency’ is that your main goalkeeper has a broken finger, your reserve has a dislocated shoulder and your only option, days before an FA Cup Semi-Final, is a wine bar owner. Otherwise, when injuries bite, you live with it. You get on with it. You give young players premature debuts. You recall Paolo Vernazza and tell him it’s his last chance, adding: “And this time, I mean it!”

Of course, usually I would back the FA in any attempt to make things easier for less wealthy clubs; the scenario I’ve described can only help Chelsea make the most of their absurd squad: “Bugger – Joe Cole’s injured. Shall we bring in Damien Duff or Arjen Robben? Or shall we give David O’Leary a call, and see if he’s got any handy reserve players?”

Choices, choices. But, much as I want to see the balance redressed, there is something patently ridiculous about a transfer deadline that is followed by a flurry of transfer activity; our loan signings were just three of many that took place in the weeks following the August 31 deadline.

Much of the pre-season pessimism surrounding the Hornets was not so much that we couldn’t put a half-decent team together (although some gnashing of teeth in that regard would have been avoided had Henderson, Carlisle, Mackay and Spring been captured sooner), but rather concern over what would happen when injuries and suspensions took their toll. It was not apparent at that time that the transfer deadline was, in fact, nothing of the sort.

So, having reached paragraph five, I suppose I ought to mention Gabriel Agbonlahor. See, he represented the transfer system at its worst. We lost King and Henderson for a month or so, so we were left with a hopelessly out of form Hameur Bouazza and players such as Francino Francis and Joel Grant, who probably ought to be introduced gently to the arena, surrounded by more experienced colleagues, rather than be relied upon to be our main source of goals for a month. And, in a parallel universe somewhere, where football is played and administrated the Right Way, that is what happened, and Adrian Boothroyd learned a valuable lesson about strength in depth.

In this universe, though, Boothroyd brought in three loan players, one of whom was known to be quite good, and didn’t disappoint, one of whom was known to be quite rubbish, and didn’t disappoint, and our Gabby, who was unknown. Even to Villa fans, judging by reaction from the numerous Villains I spoke to about him.

And he’s not an awful lot better known now. Quick? Check. Control? Reasonable, I suppose, but we didn’t get much chance to see it. Good in the air? Ummm… Strong? Yes, as long as no-one challenges him and it’s not windy. Good finisher? Yeah, right.

Harsh perhaps. Perhaps we didn’t see the best of him; I very much doubt he’ll get a second chance at Vicarage Road. No, he will be unused substitute for Villa in a couple of Carling Cup ties, followed by a few loan spells before joining Walsall, then Kidderminster Harriers, then Nuneaton Borough. And then he’ll probably become a roofer.

Go on then, Gabby, prove me wrong.

Edited by Tomaszk

Its not even that harsh a report.

However, have you got the minerals to keep working hard and succeed Jack? This man did.

Watford fan site loan report of Gabriel Agbonlahor

http://www.bsad.org/bsad.html

Right, first of all, let me get one thing straight: The transfer regulations are rubbish. My interpretation of an ‘emergency’ is that your main goalkeeper has a broken finger, your reserve has a dislocated shoulder and your only option, days before an FA Cup Semi-Final, is a wine bar owner. Otherwise, when injuries bite, you live with it. You get on with it. You give young players premature debuts. You recall Paolo Vernazza and tell him it’s his last chance, adding: “And this time, I mean it!”

Of course, usually I would back the FA in any attempt to make things easier for less wealthy clubs; the scenario I’ve described can only help Chelsea make the most of their absurd squad: “Bugger – Joe Cole’s injured. Shall we bring in Damien Duff or Arjen Robben? Or shall we give David O’Leary a call, and see if he’s got any handy reserve players?”

Choices, choices. But, much as I want to see the balance redressed, there is something patently ridiculous about a transfer deadline that is followed by a flurry of transfer activity; our loan signings were just three of many that took place in the weeks following the August 31 deadline.

Much of the pre-season pessimism surrounding the Hornets was not so much that we couldn’t put a half-decent team together (although some gnashing of teeth in that regard would have been avoided had Henderson, Carlisle, Mackay and Spring been captured sooner), but rather concern over what would happen when injuries and suspensions took their toll. It was not apparent at that time that the transfer deadline was, in fact, nothing of the sort.

So, having reached paragraph five, I suppose I ought to mention Gabriel Agbonlahor. See, he represented the transfer system at its worst. We lost King and Henderson for a month or so, so we were left with a hopelessly out of form Hameur Bouazza and players such as Francino Francis and Joel Grant, who probably ought to be introduced gently to the arena, surrounded by more experienced colleagues, rather than be relied upon to be our main source of goals for a month. And, in a parallel universe somewhere, where football is played and administrated the Right Way, that is what happened, and Adrian Boothroyd learned a valuable lesson about strength in depth.

In this universe, though, Boothroyd brought in three loan players, one of whom was known to be quite good, and didn’t disappoint, one of whom was known to be quite rubbish, and didn’t disappoint, and our Gabby, who was unknown. Even to Villa fans, judging by reaction from the numerous Villains I spoke to about him.

And he’s not an awful lot better known now. Quick? Check. Control? Reasonable, I suppose, but we didn’t get much chance to see it. Good in the air? Ummm… Strong? Yes, as long as no-one challenges him and it’s not windy. Good finisher? Yeah, right.

Harsh perhaps. Perhaps we didn’t see the best of him; I very much doubt he’ll get a second chance at Vicarage Road. No, he will be unused substitute for Villa in a couple of Carling Cup ties, followed by a few loan spells before joining Walsall, then Kidderminster Harriers, then Nuneaton Borough. And then he’ll probably become a roofer.

Go on then, Gabby, prove me wrong.

Gabby didn't get any better. Perhaps the Premier League changed, which made his primary attributes more valuable?

Quick? Check. Control? Reasonable, I suppose, but we didn’t get much chance to see it. Good in the air? Ummm… Strong? Yes, as long as no-one challenges him and it’s not windy. Good finisher? Yeah, right.

You'd give the same summary now. Except Gabby is bit stronger today because he is older. Also, he has a decent cross, which is not mentioned in the above paragraph.

Being quick and strong enough in possession to hold the ball up, and having a decent cross makes you one of the best counter-attacking players in the world game.

What does Grealish offer to the future of football?

Edited by Con

he will be unused substitute for Villa in a couple of Carling Cup ties, followed by a few loan spells before joining Walsall, then Kidderminster Harriers, then Nuneaton Borough. And then he’ll probably become a roofer

mixing him up with Stefan Moore :P

I think its fair to say ive already mentioned jack hasn't pulled up any trees while being at notts. Did well in a few games but not shone. I think its a decent article for ones opinion.

But I think its quite harsh in some aspects like for example jacks recently came back from injury and tbf hasnt played well. No mention of that.

Also the fact that a side who plays possession football is quite ridiculous IMO as they have played with haber, showunmi, arquin when not playing haynes. And it becomes a Hleb at the blues situation.

Also jack managed to get MOTM saturday. No mention of that...

Theres no defending the fact jack hasnt been the greatest player he could have been at notts but I do think that its a small minority of fans that do have the same opinion as that article.

Ive been watching jack a lot since hes been in notts but ive also noticed a small majority of fans have given him a lot of indirect grief through twitter so it was only a matter of time before an article like this was released. I have even read some fans say they wouldnt be fussed if mcgregor (who is the sides top goalscorer) doesnt renew his loan after january which sums it up for me tbh.

At the end of the day I think its obvious he hasnt been great. But then again it is a team game. And with a lot of hype surrounding jack its easy to criticise when things are looking bad.

• Like 1

We hear so much about these talented youngsters like Grealish. Why aren't they given opportunities to feature in the 1st team? Look at Southampton playing Shaw/Chambers/Ward-Prowse! They only improve and become good if they play. Irritating. Hope when Grealish comes back he plays!

We hear so much about these talented youngsters like Grealish. Why aren't they given opportunities to feature in the 1st team? Look at Southampton playing Shaw/Chambers/Ward-Prowse! They only improve and become good if they play. Irritating. Hope when Grealish comes back he plays!

That's more because Southampton have had a mentality of introducing talented 16/17/18 y/o's to the first team for years now, so the team and fans are more comfortable and relaxed with those players coming into the squad. When's the last time a teenager got brought into the first team here and played fairly consistently, Gabby maybe? Therefore seeing a teenager in the Villa first team would be a very rare sight and would undoubtedly give the fans some very high expectations, "He must be good if he's playing at 17/18". At teams like Southampton this expectation isn't there as it's pretty common for youngsters to break through. Plus Southampton have been blessed with some fantastic prospects that have/will play at the highest levels, Walcott, Bale, Chamberlain, Lallana, Shaw, Ward-Prowse etc. I would be surprised (pleasantly) if Grealish really lived up to the hype and ended up playing at a level similar to those players mentioned.

I agree that it would be great to see more young players in the first team, but the problem with doing it at a club that isn't quite used to it, you have to do it with the right player. Waste it on a player like Luke Moore who doesn't live up to the hype, fans become more skeptical about youth players coming though. Get it right with a player who goes on to play very well for 2/3 years and then gets sold for £15m +, or serve the club for a long time a la Gabby and Barry, fans will be more receptive to the idea of introducing youth players to the first team.

Loaning your youth players out for a couple years before easing them into the first team allows them to get valuable first team experience and gets fans used to the idea that this player could break into the first team, which eases expectations on them to perform and prove themselves. They come in as a relatively known quantity, instead out of left field at age 17 which makes fans think he must be something special.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

We hear so much about these talented youngsters like Grealish. Why aren't they given opportunities to feature in the 1st team? 

Probably because our fans would have them regretting turning professional within a few weeks if they had the cheek not to be world beaters

There is also a very thin line between making it and not. There is a bunch of players at that age that are extremely talented, but they can`t handle that stage consistently at that age. Either way, good on him for scoring, that never hurts.

Â