The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

He was about to come on and then he wasn't needed. I'm a big fan of Jack, but Southgate made a good call. If we were under pressure from the left side or we were 0-0 he'd have made a terrible mistake to not bring him on. But you can't change the LW there after the goal. Good call, fair play to him. I'm surprised. I hope he doesn't stay that stubborn the whole tourney but he made a good call

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

After Sterling scored, I don't feel Grealish was needed. England just had to close things out.

Yep it was the right decision but he was just about to come on.  That’s why I can’t help but be annoyed at the timing of the goal, (more so the scorer).  I don’t want to feel that way, I’m delighted we won but I’d usually be buzzing in this situation and today I’m not.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Rice did nothing? Yet Croatia couldn't do nothing because of Rice Phillips Mings and Stones. England won get over it.

No thanks to rice. 1 tackle, zero interceptions did his best to stand on the cbs when they had the ball. Phillips was very good as were stones and Mings.

But rice was nonexistent. And I felt croatia never really tried. I think they are aiming for 2nd in the group stage so they can avoid Portugal/Germany if England shithouse them 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Sancho one of the top wingers in Europe and not even on the bench.

The competition is unreal in this generation. Some perspective boys.

Agree! But I don't see it as a positive that he was left out. Sancho should have been in the squad and possibly in the team. I'm of the opinion that these selection mistakes will end up costing us when we play the good teams in this tournament.

• Like 1

Just now, ThunderPower_14 said:

Agree! But I don't see it as a positive that he was left out. Sancho should have been in the squad and possibly in the team. I'm of the opinion that these selection mistakes will end up costing us when we play the good teams in this tournament.

I'm of the opinion that whatever front 3 is playing is gonna be a ridiciously good one.

I would play Grealish but ain't gonna lie. Sterling and Foden are top, top quality wingers.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think Jack may not be fully fit and that he was rested today.

Don't forget he played in both friendlies.

It's about squad management this. Games coming up thick and fast.

“He may not be fully fit”

“He played in both friendlies”

”it’s about squad management” 

🤫

I thought we played competently particularly as it was the first game. I though Jack was lined up to come on but England scored and so things changed. 

I don’t think Jack not coming on was anything more than Southgate not feeling he was needed and saving him as he is still not 100%. Some of the subs were a bit strange and I personally think that Jack would have kept the ball well in the last 15 minute and won free kicks to take the pressure off.

At the end of the day the result is everything in tournaments.  I think Jack will get a chance and we’ll need him particularly against the better sides.

Mings was great so that was fantastic to see. He brings great leadership to the England team in the same way that he does to us. Always talking and organising. 

Now let’s beat the Jocks or my life won’t be worth living!!

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'm of the opinion that whatever front 3 is playing is gonna be a ridiciously good one.

I would play Grealish but ain't gonna lie. Sterling and Foden are top, top quality wingers.

They certainly can be, yes. Why weren't we more of an attacking threat in this game? It looked pretty disjointed to me. Kane couldn't get involved at all. Our plan seemed to be to dink it over the top to Sterling and hope.

Let's not pretend this was a Southgate tactical masterclass, all of England's other major players got a run out, I don't think it's a good sign for Grealish and his prospects of featuring much in this tournament that he didn't get any game time at all today. It wasn't even as if there wasn't an opportunity to bring him on, he would have been an improvement on any of Foden, Mount, and Sterling, or even for Kane with Sterling then moving to the centre forward position.

I find it staggering that he didn't take any part in today's game at all, only Kane comes close to him in terms of being England's best player.

• Like 2

It was a dull, uninspiring and drab performance against an ageing Croatia.

The performance epitomised the manager. Football won’t be coming home if Southgate plays with the handbrake on.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I thought we played competently particularly as it was the first game. I though Jack was lined up to come on but England scored and so things changed. 

I don’t think Jack not coming on was anything more than Southgate not feeling he was needed and saving him as he is still not 100%. Some of the subs were a bit strange and I personally think that Jack would have kept the ball well in the last 15 minute and won free kicks to take the pressure off.

At the end of the day the result is everything in tournaments.  I think Jack will get a chance and we’ll need him particularly against the better sides.

Mings was great so that was fantastic to see. He brings great leadership to the England team in the same way that he does to us. Always talking and organising. 

Now let’s beat the Jocks or my life won’t be worth living!!

P.S. That’s me trying to be calm and balanced. I’m far from convinced Southgate is a decent manager. As others have said I think we’ll struggle against the better teams. 

Â