Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

3 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Each to their own. I think it's amazing. S1e1 is weird and never grabbed me. 2 was pretty good, as was 3. S2 really kicks in though, some proper dystopian stuff there.

Then when Netflix gets involved in series 3 and 4 it's all universally brilliant. 

Maybe I'll have a look at the more recent stuff.

I get the premise, that it's a dark reflection of modern life, but I dunno it just felt a bit confused in terms of what it's trying to be.  E1 was part Brasseye and part drama - which I guess is understandable.  I felt it made it lack the sharps to be funny, and too flippant to be believable.

I'm pretty impatient when it comes to TV series.  They need to grab me early doors or I'm out.  I had a go at The End of The **** World last week too and wasn't impressed with it.  Best thing I've watched recently was Big Little Lies, which I thought was well written and well acted.

19 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Each to their own. I think it's amazing. S1e1 is weird and never grabbed me. 2 was pretty good, as was 3. S2 really kicks in though, some proper dystopian stuff there.

Then when Netflix gets involved in series 3 and 4 it's all universally brilliant. 

Series 3 was great.

Series 4 was by far the worst season of the show. There's only one really good episode in there (Hang the DJ). A couple of the others are entertaining enough, but not as original as the first 3 seasons in their ideas.

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

We've just watched now, and are halfway through the second episode.

So far I think it's crap.

I want to like it because everyone has hyped it so much, but I'm just not having it at all.

Series 2, episode 2. White Bear.

Don’t necessarily think it’s the best episode, but it was the one that had me thinking about it for days afterwards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I'm miles behind on Black Mirror, which I'm watching in order, and have just finished watching the one called 'Shut Up and Dance' which was certainly pretty brutal. They're all entertaining, but they are a bit variable in terms of quality, which I suppose is true of all anthologies. I think the overall standard is extremely high really. 

The 'White Bear' episode @Shropshire Lad mentions is one the best so far IMO. 

18 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I'm obviously a softy as I like the happy ending ones the best. I'm sure most people know the 2 I mean.

I’ve only watched the first two series and the Christmas special. Would either of the happy endings be amongst that?

6 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I’ve only watched the first two series and the Christmas special. Would either of the happy endings be amongst that?

No. S3 and S4.

Contrary to @Stevo985 's opinion, I think S4 is the best one.

• Thanks 1

I find it interesting that seasons 1 & 2 are fairly low budget and there is a change in production values for 3 & 4 once Netflix became involved. I wonder how or if that effected Broker's writing.

It's definitely up and down and quality wise a little inconsistent, but most TV that comes from the mind of one writer tends to be like that. It's very different from a team of writers who develop a sort of group mind around the themes and tropes of a show and can debate and spin ideas off each other. 

I must add I'm not saying either is better or worse it just produces different results.

Edited by TheAuthority
spellin'

8 hours ago, darrenm said:

No. S3 and S4.

Contrary to @Stevo985 's opinion, I think S4 is the best one.

I find that amazing.

I think season 4 loses almost all originality. 

Episode 1 is a rip off of Ready Player One (and I'd say this is the weakest ever episode of Black Mirror, it's probably the only episode of the show I would call crap)
Episode 2 and 3 are decent but both manage to be a bit of a rehash of a previous episode (The entire history of you)
Episode 4 is brilliant
Episode 5 is entertaining but again nothing really original about it. Robots chasing humans
Episode 6 is average and has already been done by a man with a head like a **** orange.

It's entertaining, don't get me wrong. A poor season of Black Mirror is still better than 90% of everything else on television.
But previous seasons stayed with you for days. It was so original and thought provoking.

Season 4 is none of that.

Edited by Stevo985

8 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Christmas special?? Happy ending?? :D

Spoiler

What do you class as happy? Probably the bleakest ending there was.

• Haha 1

Tried two Netflix Originals over the weekend. Watched the first episode of each.

Glitch - seemed ok, decent premise, but  it came over as incredibly low budget which put me off. I might persist with this one.

Between - **** rubbish.

31 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Christmas special?? Happy ending?? :D

Reveal hidden contents

What do you class as happy? Probably the bleakest ending there was.

Ha! No, I was just listing the ones i’ve seen. The two episodes I thought that someone may have considered “happy endings”* were -

Spoiler

Series 1, episode 2 (he’s admittedly lost the girl, but he’s got a better life than he had before....I guess)

Series 2, episode 1 (the robot doesn’t die)

*using this term in it’s bleakest sense of course

4 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Ha! No, I was just listing the ones i’ve seen. The two episodes I thought that someone may have considered “happy endings”* were -

Hide contents

Series 1, episode 2 (he’s admittedly lost the girl, but he’s got a better life than he had before....I guess)

Series 2, episode 1 (the robot doesn’t die)

*using this term in it’s bleakest sense of course

Spoiler

Nope neither of them :)

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I find that amazing.

I think season 4 loses almost all originality. 

Episode 1 is a rip off of Ready Player One (and I'd say this is the weakest ever episode of Black Mirror, it's probably the only episode of the show I would call crap)
Episode 2 and 3 are decent but both manage to be a bit of a rehash of a previous episode (The entire history of you)
Episode 4 is brilliant
Episode 5 is entertaining but again nothing really original about it. Robots chasing humans
Episode 6 is average and has already been done by a man with a head like a **** orange.

It's entertaining, don't get me wrong. A poor season of Black Mirror is still better than 90% of everything else on television.
But previous seasons stayed with you for days. It was so original and thought provoking.

Season 4 is none of that.

I think:

Episode 1 is great. I just really enjoyed it. Haven't read or seen RPO though.
Episodes 2 and 3 both really strong. Some really thought-provoking stuff in 2 and 3 was a decent murder thriller
Episode 4 is San Junipero+ so it gets a thumbs up from me
Episode 5 I haven't actually seen. Saw the reviews weren't great and wanted to get on to..
Episode 6 is utterly brilliant. Loads of easter eggs teased in the trailers. Brings it all together as a universe and is pretty creepy.

Just my opinion. I enjoyed S4 the most, you apparently the least.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I did like the Easter Eggs in Episode 6. But that's as good as it got. Unoriginal ministories and an entirely predictable finale, which was a shame.

I didn't have a clue :blush:

Â