Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

looks like it might be pretty good.

COPPER is a gripping crime series set in 1860s New York City, and centers on Kevin Corcoran, an intense, rugged Irish-immigrant cop working the city's notorious Five Points neighborhood. Corcoran is struggling to maintain his moral compass in a turbulent world while on an emotional and relentless quest to learn the truth about the disappearance of his wife and the death of his daughter.

His friendship with two Civil War compatriots -- the wayward son of a wealthy industrialist and an African American physician who secretly assists Corcoran with his work -- takes him to the contrasting worlds of elegant Fifth Avenue and an emerging African-American community in rural northern Manhattan. The three men share a secret from their experience on the battlefield that inextricably links their lives forever.

COPPER stars Tom Weston-Jones (MI-5) and Franka Potente (The Bourne Supremacy, Run Lola Run), plus Kyle Schmid (Blood Ties, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants), Anastasia Griffith (Royal Pains, Damages), Ato Essandoh (Damages) and Kevin Ryan (Tripping Tommy).

COPPER is created by Fontana and Academy Award®-nominee Will Rokos (Monster's Ball, Southland)

I have just started watching carl sagans cosmos online, Very good stuff indeed, can see where brian cox gets his inspiration.
I have the Cosmose (his pronunciation) box set, and I'm struggling with it. The guy just seems such a dork.

Didn't help that I tried watching it after a BBC classic docu-fest of "Life on Earth", "Civilisation", "The Ascent of Man" and "Alastair Cook's America"; followed by Ken Burns' "The Civil War" and "The West" - all of which are brilliant.

Carl Sagan a dork?

carlsagan.jpg

:? :?:

I'll see your :? And raise you a :angry:

Oh, I love what he says (read: what he writes). But I'm afraid his TV persona and delivery sets my teeth on edge. There was just something horribly cheesy about the way Cosmos was presented on TV.

Still re-watching X-Files; we're not even past season 3 and the number of before-they-were-famous cameos is ludicrous, the most utterly bizarre of which has to be, erm...

tumblr_kwruppg5c71qzhcg4o1_r2_500.png

...Michael Bublé. What the absolute ****?! :suspect:

looks like it might be pretty good.

COPPER is a gripping crime series set in 1860s New York City, and centers on Kevin Corcoran, an intense, rugged Irish-immigrant cop working the city's notorious Five Points neighborhood. Corcoran is struggling to maintain his moral compass in a turbulent world while on an emotional and relentless quest to learn the truth about the disappearance of his wife and the death of his daughter.

His friendship with two Civil War compatriots -- the wayward son of a wealthy industrialist and an African American physician who secretly assists Corcoran with his work -- takes him to the contrasting worlds of elegant Fifth Avenue and an emerging African-American community in rural northern Manhattan. The three men share a secret from their experience on the battlefield that inextricably links their lives forever.

COPPER stars Tom Weston-Jones (MI-5) and Franka Potente (The Bourne Supremacy, Run Lola Run), plus Kyle Schmid (Blood Ties, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants), Anastasia Griffith (Royal Pains, Damages), Ato Essandoh (Damages) and Kevin Ryan (Tripping Tommy).

COPPER is created by Fontana and Academy Award®-nominee Will Rokos (Monster's Ball, Southland)

Will definitely watch this... another entry in the Fontanaverse!

I have just started watching carl sagans cosmos online, Very good stuff indeed, can see where brian cox gets his inspiration.
I have the Cosmose (his pronunciation) box set, and I'm struggling with it. The guy just seems such a dork.

Didn't help that I tried watching it after a BBC classic docu-fest of "Life on Earth", "Civilisation", "The Ascent of Man" and "Alastair Cook's America"; followed by Ken Burns' "The Civil War" and "The West" - all of which are brilliant.

Carl Sagan a dork?

carlsagan.jpg

:? :?:

What is that behind him? Looks a little like Birmingham library's brutalist style.

ugliest-building-birmingham-central-library.jpg

Yeah, I got the brutalist thing. I didn't see that in my time in Boston although I spent most of my holiday trying to get an underage drink, 21 law FFS. I think Brum's much maligned library is a listed building.

Its a **** shithole. Prince Charles was right, it should be nuked from orbit. The staff at the library have tried, and failed to get it listed twice and last year they got a letter from the council telling them they couldnt apply again to have it listed for five years. And of course in that time they plan to tear the bloody eyesore down. There are some buildings in Birmingham which got demolished that never should have been (Snow Hill station being the most obvious example) but the library is not one of them. It cant go quickly enough in my opinion.

I thought Charles's problem was with the ICC. As shit as the library looks it's surprisingly worse on the inside. There is very little natural light within which is unforgivable. If they do knock it down I reckon they'll regret it in future years.

Strangely enough, Boston City Hall is the most controversial piece of architecture in Boston (prior to the Bruins (and to a lesser extent Celtics) winning titles in the new Garden, the FleetCenter/TD Garden might have rivalled it).

Public response to Boston City Hall remains sharply controversial. Arguments for and against the structure's continued existence continue to provoke strong counter-arguments, from politicians, local press, design professionals, and the general public.

Positive

While assessment of the building's architecture has followed the vagaries of architectural style, design professionals in general have admired the design, and, at the time of its completion, the building was featured in popular publications throughout the world, and awarded three stars by the Michelin guide, among others.

Representative of its acclaim was the opinion of New York Times critic Ada Louise Huxtable, who wrote, "What has been gained is a notable achievement in the creation and control of urban space, and in the uses of monumentality and humanity in the best pattern of great city building. Old and New Boston are joined through an act of urban design that relates directly to the quality of the city and its life."

Architect, educator and writer Donlyn Lyndon wrote in the Boston Globe that "Boston City Hall carries an authority that results from the clarity, articulation, and intensity of imagination with which it has been formed." Architectural historian Douglass Shand-Tucci, author of Built in Boston: City and Suburb, 1800—2000, called City Hall "one of America's foremost landmarks" and "arguably the great building of twentieth century Boston."

Stylistically, City Hall is considered one of the leading examples of what has been called Brutalist architecture. It is listed among the "Greatest Buildings" by Great Buildings Online, an affiliate of Architecture Week. Additionally, in a 1976 Bicentennial poll of historians and architects regarding America's greatest buildings, sponsored by the American Institute of Architects, Boston City Hall received the sixth most mentions.

Negative

In the 1960s, then-Mayor John Collins reportedly gasped as the design was first unveiled, and someone in the room blurted out, "What the hell is that?" City Hall is sharply unpopular with Bostonians, as it is with employees of the building, who see it as a dark and unfriendly eyesore.

According to some, the building's popularity declined as the tide turned away from modernism to more traditional and post-modern styles in the 1970s and 1980s, as the newness wore off, as architectural monumentality fell out of vogue, and as the idea of a "new" era and a "new" Boston became old-fashioned. In addition, the experience of the building is also colored by the lack of maintenance and finish that has characterized the structure following the Kevin White administration. Compared to the brightness, cleanliness, and warmth of a building such as the Boston Public Library, for instance, City Hall suffers from a lack of lighting, often-poor maintenance, and inadequate decoration with art, plantings, and furniture. In this context, some users and occupants have found City Hall unpleasant, dysfunctional and dispiriting. It is the butt of jokes in some local magazines. The structure's complex interior spaces and sometimes confusing floor plan are not mitigated through quality way-finding, signage, graphics or lighting.

Additionally, its large open spaces, central courtyard and concrete structure make the building expensive to heat (while numerous public, institutional and religious buildings throughout greater Boston have similarly large or larger open spaces and are comfortably maintained).

In 2008, the building was voted "World's Ugliest Building" in a online poll which was picked up by a number of news outlets and embraced as a boon to tourism by Mayor [Mumbles] Menino.

On December 12, 2006, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino proposed selling the current city hall and adjacent plaza to private developers and moving the city government to a site in South Boston.

On April 24, 2007, the Boston Landmarks Commission reviewed a petition backed by a group of architects and preservationists to grant the building special landmark status (much to the dismay of Mayor Menino). The petition will be studied further before a final vote is taken.

On July 10, 2008, Landmarks Commission official said the petition to grant the building special landmark status had been recommended for study, but probably would not be considered by the panel unless a plan to demolish the structure was imminent. Members of the group Citizens for City Hall also opposed Mayor Menino's plan to build a new City Hall on the South Boston waterfront because it would be a major inconvenience for tens of thousands of city residents.

In December 2008, Menino suspended his plan to move city hall in 2011. In a worsening recession, he stated, "I can't consciously move ahead on a major project like this at this time".

An advocacy group, Friends of Boston City Hall, was established to help develop support for preserving and enhancing City Hall, and improving the Plaza.

As of March 2011, plans are underway to re-think the building and its surrounding plaza.

Charles famously said the library looks like a place where you would incinerate books, not read them. As for regretting tearing it down, I cant possibly see how. Brutalism is awful and it is the main reason why Brum had a reputation as a concrete jungle for so many years. Thankfully that seems to be disappearing, but the ugly grey concrete cubes that once dominated the city have to go.

Â