Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Evidently... John Cooper Clarke

Excellent documentary on the legend that is JCC, well worth a watch especially if you know nothing about the Mancunian Punk Poet

Was just about to post the same. Cracking documentary and, despite all the stars appearing as talking heads, John still managed to steal the show.

If you've never heard of him, you might have come across him here

i watched it, was good overall, missed out some stuff though, surprised they missed out the "i hate pink floyd" tshirt which i thought was a very famous SP story, also didnt mention the ramones did they? i know they talked about the NYD but i always thought of the ramones to sex pistols being like the stokes to the libertines

also doesnt help that i really dont like the sex pistols, all style IMO and seeing as i wasnt there all im left with now is the complete lack of substance

This weeks episode of Mad Men was brilliant. Season 5 is turning out to be pretty awesome

There's been an amazingly high hit rate this season, even though they've taken to just clubbing you over the head with the theme of each episode.

I wasn't :D

But I was wondering why you asked the question.

Didn't know my fair city (:P) held so much interest for people like you - have always thought of us as a very inconsequential country in the grand scheme of things. Certainly does seem that way if you ask the Americans (most of whom I suspect either have not heard of us before, or think we are part of China.)

Anthony Bourdain's got a fetish for Singapore (so far, he's done a Singapore episode on every show he's done... I expect that his new CNN show will have a Singapore episode)

A Cook's Tour

No Reservations

There's also The Layover.

This weeks episode of Mad Men was brilliant. Season 5 is turning out to be pretty awesome

There's been an amazingly high hit rate this season, even though they've taken to just clubbing you over the head with the theme of each episode.

Can't remember when I wrote that post, but this week's was excellent as well.

I actually think this has been the best season so far. Which is rare for a 5th season of a show.

I'd tend to agree with you there.

"A Little Kiss (parts 1 & 2)" - I was effusive in my praise earlier in the thread ("Zou Bisou Bisou!") but in relation to what's followed, it's subpar, but there's no dishonor in that.

"Tea Leaves" - Betty is practically superfluous at this point (and January Jones' relative lack of acting talent doesn't help, neither does the fatsuit). Worst episode of the season as a consequence

"Mystery Date" - beats you over the head with the theme, but really well-constructed

"Signal 30" -

PETE-CAMPBELL-KTFO.gif

A contender for best episode of the series...

"Far Away Places" - ...and it was topped by three trips, a handjob, LSD, and orange sherbet

"At the Codfish Ball" - so much great dialogue and the final shot

"Lady Lazarus" - a bit of a letdown, but it serves as a great segue from the side trips of previous episode back to the main journey of the season

"Dark Shadows" - a very good episode despite giving Betty a major role

"Christmas Waltz" - another strong entry as we move towards the season's denouement?

"The Other Woman" - a tour de force... a new contender for best of the series

At worst there's been only one misstep this season.

At the other end of the scale he saw an older guy, late teens, who seemed largely able to get along but clearly still autistic. He had difficulties socially - he as prone to anger and seemingly unable to deal with frustration. Another student annoyed him and he apparently grew angry enough to casually threaten to stab him

Doesn't everybody do that, though?

Seems normal enough to me.

A lot of TV series these days outdo, or stake a place to sit alongside as an equal, films. There are things you just couldn't do as a film, even a series of films. Game of Thrones for example, has such a scale and depth to it that attempting to make a film of it would be an exercise in futility.

If you're approaching TV from a literary standpoint, TV (at its best) pisses over films. Film, by and large is for directors and the writers are used as a (well-compensated) means to that end, but it's the reverse in TV: show-runners are almost always writers and the directors are generally interchangeable. The ability to tell both novel-sized epics over the course of a series and short stories over the course of an episode enhances this (for film, you're pretty much limited to novella-sized stories).

Mike, I'm not sure that Lost or Breaking Bad (or even The Wire) are up your alley.

I think Mad Men is.

I've just been going through the first season of 'Community' for the fifth time and I still really like it. There are so many original ideas that go into the show and I just find it pretty funny (most of the time).

The episode with the

part is still one of my favourites. The Batman impression is spot on.

I've really enjoyed the three seasons that have been on thus far and am glad that it won't be cancelled now.

Anyone else watch this?

I wasn't :D

But I was wondering why you asked the question.

Didn't know my fair city (:P) held so much interest for people like you - have always thought of us as a very inconsequential country in the grand scheme of things. Certainly does seem that way if you ask the Americans (most of whom I suspect either have not heard of us before, or think we are part of China.)

Anthony Bourdain's got a fetish for Singapore (so far, he's done a Singapore episode on every show he's done... I expect that his new CNN show will have a Singapore episode)

A Cook's Tour

No Reservations

There's also The Layover.

Bet he loves the heat and humidity though.

****, the heat.

Mike, I'm not sure that Lost or Breaking Bad (or even The Wire) are up your alley.

I think Mad Men is.

I think it very probably is, yes.

However, I shall wait until it's all finished, and acquire the DVD set.

started watching Jericho (US version, not UK) its pretty good, maybe sometimes a little too much focus on the familiar and trivial stuff. but just the setting of it i think its very excating. well worth a watch.

Was searching for a comedy series to watch and stumbled upon 'Louie', watched two episodes so far and its really good, I'd never even heard of the guy as a stand up never mind that he had his own tv show. Would recommend it, better than a lot of the OTT all American feel good canned laughter stuff.

Game of Throne's finale is... well... pretty good.

Has the distinction of being the first episode this series where Danerys was actually vaguely interesting.

Without giving anything away, I thought what happened at Winterfelt was poorly written, I don't really know what happened. Maybe it will be explained in the next series?

Game of Throne's finale is... well... pretty good.

Has the distinction of being the first episode this series where Danerys was actually vaguely interesting.

Without giving anything away, I thought what happened at Winterfelt was poorly written, I don't really know what happened. Maybe it will be explained in the next series?

That's simply because you're not meant to know yet. You're meant to have an idea, but not know the truth.

It's not poor writing, it's just a delayed reveal.

Thought it was a great final episode setting up next season extremely well. I love the foreshadowing that gets done, "three blasts to signal white walkers" Sam told us earlier in the season, and sure enough...

Â