Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

2 hours ago, sne said:

Paraphrasing from a post I read in another forum but it kinda looks like if they don't intend to tell Tolkiens story but rather bought the rights to tell their own story set in the Tolkien universe.

Obviously it's impossible to tell from such a short clip but I agree that it seems off some how.

Edit: Apparently there is some sort of organized protest happening where tons people are posting versions of a Tolkien quote going something like “Evil cannot create anything new, it can only spoil and destroy what good forces have invented or created" in the comment section for the trailer :D 

The problem is, as I understand it, they have the rights to the appendices of LoTR as they relate to the Second Age, and they cannot alter the significant events of history prior . That means that they have really thin stuff to work with, and it's not really enough to make a series out of on it's own.

Whilst the events of Second Age are massively important for what happens later (the creation of the Rings, the ascendancy of Sauron, Numenor, culminating in the battle we see at the beginning of Jackson's films, the Last Alliance, Isildur etc) we only have it in pretty broad terms, not enough to make an extended series without fleshing it out and adding characters. We have something akin to a historical record. It would be like taking the entirety of GoT and boiling it down to a couple of paragraphs.

It's disappointing then that so far the main complaints about it seem to point firmly at it being 'woke' because they've cast some black people, as if that has any bearing on anything. It's absurd. I couldn't give less of a **** if there's black elves, black dwarves, whatever - it doesn't matter, it doesn't change anything, and it addressees a problem with the material that all the non-white people are evil savages or simpleton pygmies. But apparently it makes it 'woke' and therefore immediately bad. I suspect an undercurrent of the hatred is because LoTR has a surprisingly strong following in the white nationalist community.

I have my own issues with what we've seen so far, not least of which is them taking Galadriel and making her into a character that she simply isn't. I can see why they've done it, she's one of the few big, powerful female characters they have in the Second Age, and Tolkein notoriously has very few female characters that do much, which is another valid criticism of his work. The problem is by using Galadriel as someone who is involved in action, adventure etc, they're changing who that character is. She's a ruler. She's exceptionally powerful, but she's someone who leads and influences, she's not wearing armour, going to battle etc. They would be better served parking her character and going with Elrond, or putting an original character in as a general or have a background figure pushed as a main character that changes nothing.

• Like 1

The rights for the hobbit and LOTR goes up for sale this year, expected to reach around $2.5bn and amazon are the favourites to buy that too

If they were to get it then future seasons could see more of a tie in but at the moment I'm not sure what they've bought let's them jump in with both feet 

23 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The problem is, as I understand it, they have the rights to the appendices of LoTR as they relate to the Second Age, and they cannot alter the significant events of history prior . That means that they have really thin stuff to work with, and it's not really enough to make a series out of on it's own.

Whilst the events of Second Age are massively important for what happens later (the creation of the Rings, the ascendancy of Sauron, Numenor, culminating in the battle we see at the beginning of Jackson's films, the Last Alliance, Isildur etc) we only have it in pretty broad terms, not enough to make an extended series without fleshing it out and adding characters. We have something akin to a historical record. It would be like taking the entirety of GoT and boiling it down to a couple of paragraphs.

It's disappointing then that so far the main complaints about it seem to point firmly at it being 'woke' because they've cast some black people, as if that has any bearing on anything. It's absurd. I couldn't give less of a **** if there's black elves, black dwarves, whatever - it doesn't matter, it doesn't change anything, and it addressees a problem with the material that all the non-white people are evil savages or simpleton pygmies. But apparently it makes it 'woke' and therefore immediately bad. I suspect an undercurrent of the hatred is because LoTR has a surprisingly strong following in the white nationalist community.

I have my own issues with what we've seen so far, not least of which is them taking Galadriel and making her into a character that she simply isn't. I can see why they've done it, she's one of the few big, powerful female characters they have in the Second Age, and Tolkein notoriously has very few female characters that do much, which is another valid criticism of his work. The problem is by using Galadriel as someone who is involved in action, adventure etc, they're changing who that character is. She's a ruler. She's exceptionally powerful, but she's someone who leads and influences, she's not wearing armour, going to battle etc. They would be better served parking her character and going with Elrond, or putting an original character in as a general or have a background figure pushed as a main character that changes nothing.

Good post, fully agree.

The Galadriel Warrior princess is terrible, I think she's also supposed to be around 4000 years old when the show happens so she should probably look at least a bit like Cate Blanchett did but I get that this is not possible. Not the new actress fault.

Dwarf women with no beard, sure not a deal breaker. Don't even remember if that is a Tolkien thing. Inventing a new race that is not a hobbit but is absolutely a hobbit. People like hobbits and this way we can have a young adult side story happening.

Edited by sne

What they need to buy is the Silmarillion and all related works.

The Second Age has 2 big stories - Sauron and the rings, the fall of Numenor.

The First Age has loads of stories, and is the point of the Silmarillion really. The creation of the world, the discord of evil within it, the creation of various races, conflict amongst the gods, the Silmarils, the Two Trees, Morgoth and Ungoliant, various wars against Morgoth, the creation of the dragons, balrogs, orcs, various fueds curses and heroic sacrifices, Morgoth's torturing and cursing of an entire family that dared stand against him, Tolkein's best love story in Beren and Luthien, and absolutely enormous battle after enormous battle spanning thousands of years.

That's the quality stuff in the pre-Hobbit stories. It's important enough that the first 2 episodes of this show are a prologue covering the First Age.

24 minutes ago, Meath_Villan said:

Bel 👑 air  ..... Two episodes in ......megh 

Just watched the first episode, thought it was alright - better than the less than lukewarm reviews I’ve seen anyway.

6 hours ago, Xela said:

Finished Reacher

Overall very enjoyable, I just felt it tailed off a bit towards the end.

Still a solid 7.5/10 WB

Couldn't agree more.  It got rocket polisher as it went on. Started really well.  In stuck with it, but just became less gripping 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chindie said:

What they need to buy is the Silmarillion and all related works.

The Second Age has 2 big stories - Sauron and the rings, the fall of Numenor.

The First Age has loads of stories, and is the point of the Silmarillion really. The creation of the world, the discord of evil within it, the creation of various races, conflict amongst the gods, the Silmarils, the Two Trees, Morgoth and Ungoliant, various wars against Morgoth, the creation of the dragons, balrogs, orcs, various fueds curses and heroic sacrifices, Morgoth's torturing and cursing of an entire family that dared stand against him, Tolkein's best love story in Beren and Luthien, and absolutely enormous battle after enormous battle spanning thousands of years.

That's the quality stuff in the pre-Hobbit stories. It's important enough that the first 2 episodes of this show are a prologue covering the First Age.

I love the First Age stories, possibly more than the Third Age ones. However, I'm not sure that they'd work for a mainstream audience at this time. They're too big, too religious, too far away from what people already know and there's not enough human protagonist's for the mainstream audience to relate to. 

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

From what I've heard from a couple of friends who have watched Bel Air... it's awful

Just watched first episode. Its not great.

Spoiler

The charchters are completely different from the show. I get they trying to do a modern take on it but jeffrey looks more like a gangster than a butler. Uncle phil is skinny and looks like a politician that only cares about his image. Carlton isnt nerdy and Hillary is more like a influencer. 

I put the above in case you wanna watch it as descriptions of the charchters as although its not really telling any spoilers on the show just their characters.

I personally think this is gonna be a complete flop

15 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

We loved it - thought each season was decent. 

Does the pacing slow down at all? 

Spoiler

First episode had Uthred's brother and father die, Ragner adopt him, Kjartan's betrayal, Uthred and Brida growing up, Ragnar's death and the fall of all kingdom's but Wessex. That was about half of the first book. 

Â