Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

Having watched Berg at last summers u21 Championships he was a class above, and I was really, really impressed with him, he seemed so lethal. Admittedly I haven't seen anything of him in the last 12 months, but what I saw last summer would be enough to want to see us take a punt on him. His physique and size seemed as though he could adapt to the Premier League given time, but would be a risk.

It would be a complete waste of a squad place. Tournaments are rarely the best place to judge a player. At best it can give you a hint that you maybe should keep an eye on him, but most often players play above their normal capacity, or the opposite. They just disappear. He might have looked lethal in the U21's but those performances only means he had a decent tournament. I sincerely doubt he has the mental attributes, technical skill or physical presence to make any sort of impression on the PL. It is a risk not worth taking.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Berg for whatever reason seems to revel in international football. It's as if he can't get himself properly motivated for the drudgery of domestic competition.

Having watched Berg at last summers u21 Championships he was a class above, and I was really, really impressed with him, he seemed so lethal. Admittedly I haven't seen anything of him in the last 12 months, but what I saw last summer would be enough to want to see us take a punt on him. His physique and size seemed as though he could adapt to the Premier League given time, but would be a risk.

It would be a complete waste of a squad place. Tournaments are rarely the best place to judge a player. At best it can give you a hint that you maybe should keep an eye on him, but most often players play above their normal capacity, or the opposite. They just disappear. He might have looked lethal in the U21's but those performances only means he had a decent tournament. I sincerely doubt he has the mental attributes, technical skill or physical presence to make any sort of impression on the PL. It is a risk not worth taking.

That's fair enough, like I said I haven't seen anything of him since last summer, so I'm willing to take your word for it. Agreed that tournaments aren't the best place to judge players, it's a completely different environment to club football and a completely different kettle of fish.

Berg for whatever reason seems to revel in international football. It's as if he can't get himself properly motivated for the drudgery of domestic competition.

Similar to lukas podolski prolific at international level couldnt hit a barn door domestically.

Yeah, I have my doubts about Berg. I'd like to see him getting some time in Holland where I think swedish players develops the most. Then maybe he can go on to bigger things if he gets better. For now I want us to stay away. Sweden don't have that many talented players that can go all the way to the top, I think. Some, but not many. We're mostly a good team, not good individuals these days.

Yeah, I have my doubts about Berg. I'd like to see him getting some time in Holland where I think swedish players develops the most. Then maybe he can go on to bigger things if he gets better. For now I want us to stay away. Sweden don't have that many talented players that can go all the way to the top, I think. Some, but not many. We're mostly a good team, not good individuals these days.

Also, when was the last time Sweden had a decent striker in the PL? Can't think of anyone on the top of my head.

Also, when was the last time Sweden had a decent striker in the PL? Can't think of anyone on the top of my head.

Henrik Larsson

If there are going to be any biggish transfers, it'll be late on again, as there's normally a transfer or two that kick starts the whole circus. Could well be Milner joining City that does it this season.

Would Berg just not be another player who we don't take a chance on and then wish we did? If he goes tot he Baggies I think we'd be wishing we took a chance on him. Physically he seems to have all the attributes, I don't know about his mental temperament but sometimes moves just don't work out

Henrik Larsson

He did well at United, but he weren't there long enough to be very prolific, but decent he certainly was! He is one of few Swedish strikers that I would say have the right mentality for the PL.

Would Berg just not be another player who we don't take a chance on and then wish we did? If he goes tot he Baggies I think we'd be wishing we took a chance on him. Physically he seems to have all the attributes, I don't know about his mental temperament but sometimes moves just don't work out

Even in the most unlikely event that he would succeed, I still don't think it is worth the risk. I'm obviously speculating here, but I think that in a good team with lots of talented support and protection, you might squeeze 10 goals out of him. I just don't think he has it in him. Look at Elmander. I'd say that he is even more suited to the PL with his slightly bigger frame, but his mental attributes have let him down. I think Berg in in the same mould, and as Pelle hinted at, we are mostly a decent team with few individuals. This metality serves us well in the national team, but we come up lacking in cut-throat leagues such as the PL. The lads aren't quite aggressive or arrogant enough. The only current Swedish striker I think could make it here is Zlatan.

Even in the most unlikely event that he would succeed, I still don't think it is worth the risk. I'm obviously speculating here, but I think that in a good team with lots of talented support and protection, you might squeeze 10 goals out of him. I just don't think he has it in him. Look at Elmander. I'd say that he is even more suited to the PL with his slightly bigger frame, but his mental attributes have let him down. I think Berg in in the same mould, and as Pelle hinted at, we are mostly a decent team with few individuals. This metality serves us well in the national team, but we come up lacking in cut-throat leagues such as the PL. The lads aren't quite aggressive or arrogant enough. The only current Swedish striker I think could make it here is Zlatan.

I agree about Berg, he just seemed to have a good month, when I've watched Hamburg and he's played, he's been so non existent.

What do you make of Ola Toivonen, he impressed me more in that U21 tournament but I've never been able to see him for PSV.

I agree about Berg, he just seemed to have a good month, when I've watched Hamburg and he's played, he's been so non existent.

What do you make of Ola Toivonen, he impressed me more in that U21 tournament but I've never been able to see him for PSV.

Haven't seen too much of him, but from what I have seen I would say that he is tall but too lightweight. I don't think he would suit the PL very well either for much of the same reasons I disqualify Berg. I think he has found his place in PSV to be honest.