Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really want McGeady, he comes across as a total sulky knob to me, he's been sent home for half time tantrums before and hes given it back to Celtic fans when they've got on his back which...if we're all honest with ourselves, our fans are no stranger to doing ourselves if someones playing awful.

Some supposed footy itk on twitter seems to think we've enquired about Barnetta, know v.little about him.

We seem to be linked to lots of wingers, am I the only one who thinks thats bottom of the priority list?

Anybody think Steven N'Zonzi would be a good buy. He looks like a good defensive CM. He's very tall so would be good at set pieces, and very athletic, the exact opposite of Petrov and what we need IMO. His goal against Everton was very very good aswell.

N'Zonzi was my shout earlier in the summer and it was quickly dismissed :( I agree though, he would be a shrewd buy.

As for Albrighton, of course I'd like to be proved wrong but honestly, I haven't seen anything to make me stand up and think he'll make it. He has a decent cross, but you need a lot more than that to make it at a top 6 club. He hasn't got blistering pace/skillzzz like Young, or the technical qualities and intelligence of Downing (when he's at his best) or the hard working, defensive qualities of pre-midfield Milner. He could well develop and turn out a cracking winger but IMO he seems too lack too much to make it with us.

The Fonz, Clark and possibly Baker (I haven't seen too much of Baker but have heard good things) are the only players I think will make it out of that bunch, which with all things considering is a very good intake from our academy.

Hmmm, I wouldn't mind N'Zonzi.

Oh and Albrighton, I think he has decent pace, seems to me abit like Milner pace wise, not quick but not slow. He's good at creating half a yard for himself to whip a good ball in. I do think he works very hard from what I've seen and could be a goal threat.

Hmmmm, I really hope he's given a chance in pre-season and if he does have a pre-season like last, that he does get more chances and then we can see whether he's good enough or not. It does seem as if O'Neill likes him though even though not been given too many chances.

CED do you not remember Albrighton's technique in the Peace Cup. Remember the one he scored running in from the right and hitting it first time. He has plenty of technique. The only thing he's missing at this point in his career is a manager willing to give him a proper run-out.

CED do you not remember Albrighton's technique in the Peace Cup. Remember the one he scored running in from the right and hitting it first time. He has plenty of technique. The only thing he's missing at this point in his career is a manager willing to give him a proper run-out.

He should go to Everton :shock:

I just hope we as a club look outside the square when we sign players this year and not just buy British only like MON has did alot.So many good players have been at the world cup, and I hope our scouts look at all of Europe ,Sth America and Asia etc for new players.We lack that flair in our team and a match winner and a playmaker.We have been linked to Parker ,McGready and all seriousness I cant see these gus improving us at all.For me the one player we should have bought is Yossi Bennouyou great attcking midfielder and playmaker who scores goals to.

I just hope we as a club look outside the square when we sign players this year and not just buy British only like MON has did alot.So many good players have been at the world cup, and I hope our scouts look at all of Europe ,Sth America and Asia etc for new players.We lack that flair in our team and a match winner and a playmaker.We have been linked to Parker ,McGready and all seriousness I cant see these gus improving us at all.For me the one player we should have bought is Yossi Bennouyou great attcking midfielder and playmaker who scores goals to.

The same Benayoun who joined Chelsea!

Does anyone else think it would be worth taking a punt on taking Marcus Berg on loan from Hamburg?

He was player of the tournament at the 2009 Under 21 European Championship but seems to have not had a good first season with Hamburg and he is being linked with a loan move to West Brom.

He is still only 23 and did look good in those championships where he finished top scorer. I don't know how much first team football he would get but it wouldn't do much harm to give it a go IMO.

Marcus Berg would be ace. We were linked with him a few seasons ago I think.

I'd love to see us take a look at Vanden Borre. He has a lot of potential, and he does have some Premiership experience. Can cover RB/RW/DM/CM so he's quite versatile. Only 22 too.

He should go to Everton :shock:

On previous experience yes. I'm still remaining hopeful that this season, for the first time, MON will start to use them properly. MysteryMan maintains that there are big(ger) plans for the (used-to-be) kids this season so until I see otherwise, I'll be hopeful that that's true.

Does anyone else think it would be worth taking a punt on taking Marcus Berg on loan from Hamburg?

He was player of the tournament at the 2009 Under 21 European Championship but seems to have not had a good first season with Hamburg and he is being linked with a loan move to West Brom.

He is still only 23 and did look good in those championships where he finished top scorer. I don't know how much first team football he would get but it wouldn't do much harm to give it a go IMO.

No way should we go for him. Best to stay well away. You need to have a very special mentality as an attacker in the PL, and very few Swedes have that mentality. Berg is no exception. He'd be eaten alive. Not a good signing.

No way should we go for him. Best to stay well away. You need to have a very special mentality as an attacker in the PL, and very few Swedes have that mentality. Berg is no exception. He'd be eaten alive. Not a good signing.

Agreed, Berg's been found out at Hamburg. I suppose if it was just a loan with little risk attached we could see how things worked out, but I seriously doubt he'd be anywhere near good enough for the Premiership.

A cheeky bid for Mladen Petrić however, I could really get on board with. :thumb:

EDIT: And Trochowski whilst we're at it. Would love the pair of 'em. If Milner does go and we get £25m+, that's where I want it to be spent. :D

Having watched Berg at last summers u21 Championships he was a class above, and I was really, really impressed with him, he seemed so lethal. Admittedly I haven't seen anything of him in the last 12 months, but what I saw last summer would be enough to want to see us take a punt on him. His physique and size seemed as though he could adapt to the Premier League given time, but would be a risk.