Should Gordon Brown Remain as PM?

PauloBarnesi

Should Gordon Brown Remain as PM?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gordon Brown Remain as PM?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don’t Care

:-) - a better poll would be "Can we trust Paul B with moderator functions given that he has a habit of a) liking dangerous wild creatures B) Boris Johnson and the most important c) inability to setup polls" - I say no get rid of Paul now he is a liability

Quite apart from all political and constitutional issues, if I was him I'd quit now. He must be pretty stressed and tired after the past year or so, and I think he needs a rest and some time with his family.

How does it work now then (totally not my scene)?

Does he remain 'in charge of the hung parliament' even though they didnt get as many seats as conservative? - On the basis of he wasnt voted out?

i think boris is actually doing a better job than livingstone incrediably and i thought he would be a complete nightmare as mayor but i think he is doing well

Not wanting to open up a can of worms but I'm interested to know what the basis of your opinion is. As a resident of London, I'm intrigued to know what others feel about Boris.

How does it work now then (totally not my scene)?

Does he remain 'in charge of the hung parliament' even though they didnt get as many seats as conservative? - On the basis of he wasnt voted out?

He has a right and a duty to look at setting up the next gvmt. He has made provision this morning for Civil servants to be available to help any of the major parties who likewise want to see what they can arrange.

As such there is nothing that stops him carrying on as no party has an outright majority. Going on past experiences it will all be sorted over the next couple of days when dust has settled and they have had chance to promise each other blow jobs behind the bike sheds

Not for me.

I think that Cameron has got the natural logic behind him to be allowed to have a go at being Leader of a Tory Gov't and therefore PM.

I don't think any of them should form formal coalitions with anyone else, I'd rather there be a minority Gov't, reigned in by the need to get support on a case by case basis from other parites

Not wanting to open up a can of worms but I'm interested to know what the basis of your opinion is. As a resident of London, I'm intrigued to know what others feel about Boris.

i too am a resident. i think he is trying hard to cut crime, more police are being on the street. alchol ban on trains has cut the hooligans on trains sigficantly too. furthermore more green with recycling schemes.

whats your thoughts on him?

I don't think that anyone in favour of a fairer political system based on what votes come in would disagree at that the Conservatives have a moral mandate. Being 2m votes ahead after all. Unfortunately though the Tories aren't in favour of the fairer political system that would allow them to do that.

So I guess that if they want to stick to the current constitutional method of election and government then they're going to have to bow to Brown trying to form the next government Or throw their weight behind electoral reform.

What a conundrum...

This has got to be a joke right? Leave that **** Brown in charge? Christ no. A million, million times no. The man shouldn't be left in charge of a goldfish.

10000000 % NO .....Arguably he shouldn't have had the job to start with ...

Wonder if in this big push for electoral reform if any party will add that a PM has to be elected by the people ?

This has got to be a joke right? Leave that **** Brown in charge? Christ no. A million, million times no. The man shouldn't be left in charge of a goldfish.

Well Well. Probably the first thing Risso has posted I've actually agreed with.

i too am a resident. i think he is trying hard to cut crime, more police are being on the street. alchol ban on trains has cut the hooligans on trains sigficantly too. furthermore more green with recycling schemes.

whats your thoughts on him?

It's a difficult one as I never really took him seriously initially. I really thought he was just a character actor with little substance (maybe that's just my conditioned response to most Tories ;) ).

I think he's probably done a fair amount of good for London but unlike Red Ken, I'm not sure he's as good at publicising. I do have a slight problem with his campaign promises of transparency and accountability as I see less of this than I did when Ken was about and there have still been allegations of cronyism even though he was dead against that in his pre-election pledges.

Over all though, I think I could see how hard Ken worked for London and the major (positive) impact his tenure had on London. I don't see that with Boris and my suspicion is that he is more keen to improve his own name than anything. Livingstone on the other hand, never shied away from upsetting people if it were in the best interests of London. Maybe Boris hasn't yet had enough time though.

I should point out though that having met both of them, Ken is possibly one of the most repugnant human beings I've ever had the displeasure to meet. I'm certainly no fan of him as a person but I respect a lot of what he did during his time as Mayor. On meeting Boris on the other hand, he was just as you'd expect - a charming old buffoon.

10000000 % NO .....Arguably he shouldn't have had the job to start with ...

Wonder if in this big push for electoral reform if any party will add that a PM has to be elected by the people ?

What would be the point of that? The PM doesn't have the same special powers that a president does so there is no real need for him to step out of his electorate and have the whole country cast a separate vote for him.

I voted Labour but I don't think Brown can stay in power given the result.

I voted Lib Dem and I don't think Brown can stay in power given the result.

I'm not sure he's as good at publicising

isn't the problem that he didn't actually want the job ? I believe his current plan is to stand down after 1 term

He has eyes on PM me thinks so wants to get back to being an MP

I'm not sure he's as good at publicising

isn't the problem that he didn't actually want the job ? I believe his current plan is to stand down after 1 term

He has eyes on PM me thinks so wants to get back to being an MP

If that's the case, then one might contend that he took the Mayoral job more to further his own ambition serve the people of London. I know it's possible to do both but it does seem a little disingenuous.

Â