Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

I get that, but he now faces being ostracised by the international cricket community. The wider sporting world won't see the internal struggles of the SA cricket association, they'll see a white South African so racist that he'd rather not play than take a knee, because that's a better story for the papers.

There isn't a county side that could afford to touch him now and I'm not sure if he has an IPL future. He's going to need to put in a big media shift explaining his position if he's to avoid becoming a cricket pariah. Even if we're giving him the benefit of the doubt surely he'd have been better served taking a knee first and explaining the problems of South African cricket later?

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

they'll see a white South African so racist that he'd rather not play than take a knee, because that's a better story for the papers.

There isn't a county side that could afford to touch him now and I'm not sure if he has an IPL future. He's going to need to put in a big media shift explaining his position if he's to avoid becoming a cricket pariah.

I hate this. I mean you are probably right to say it, but I don't think it's the truth. I don't think he's a racist, and that's why I posted what I did. It's the "obvious" knee jerk thought - he won't kneel, so he's racist. But that isn't (I believe) the reason.

I also think he'll be fine with domestic cricket teams. Both because he's a really good player, one of the best in the world and also because not all the world is as keen on the Knee/BLM gesture as some nations are.

If he explains his reasons (and they're the ones I suspect) he'll cause a storm with the South African cricket board and they'll punish him, but beyond that I see no consequences (apart from as you rightly imply, some holier than thou media and twitter etc. coverage will go temporarily berserk).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

I hate this. I mean you are probably right to say it, but I don't think it's the truth. I don't think he's a racist, and that's why I posted what I did. It's the "obvious" knee jerk thought - he won't kneel, so he's racist. But that isn't (I believe) the reason.

If he explains his reasons (and they're the ones I suspect) he'll cause a storm with the South African cricket board and they'll punish him, but beyond that I see no consequences (apart from as you rightly imply, some holier than thou media and twitter etc. coverage will go temporarily berserk).

I'd like to think you're right, but having decided on the gesture, the ball is in his court now to explain himself - sadly he seems unwilling to do that and is just saying his reasons are personal. I really think he's either very poorly advised, not the brightest or a simple racist - there are no good outcomes for him here and he's certainly not doing himself any favours.

I think in terms of county cricket, there would be a media storm for any county that took him on, I've no idea how India approaches these things so the IPL might still be open to him.

He's made a very public statement - if he chooses not to back it up with some detail and fast, then you have to wonder about him.

i don’t know if QDK is racist but he’s perfectly within his rights to refuse to do it ,  I get the sentiment of the SA cricket board but taking the knee has to be optional surely ?

Different sport but what happens if the FA forced all players to take it , after Zaha and Tonev have refused to do it saying it’s “degrading “ or players were being used as puppets ? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The cricket is great though - this Pakistan team can't half bowl.

And bat!  Given their remaining games, they’re nigh on through already. Namibia, Scotland, Afghanistan to play.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

i don’t know if QDK is racist but he’s perfectly within his rights to refuse to do it ,  I get the sentiment of the SA cricket board but taking the knee has to be optional surely ?

Very much agree.

I don't think compulsion (in whichever direction) is a good look or the right thing.

Tbh, I'd be the first person taking the knee whilst it's voluntary and probably refusing point blank if made mandatory.

No idea what De Kock's reasoning is, though.

• Like 1

Quinton de Kock: South Africa keeper sorry over refusal to take a knee and says he is not racist

South Africa's Quinton de Kock has apologised after refusing to take a knee and says he is "not a racist".

The wicketkeeper-batsman made himself unavailable for the T20 World Cup win against West Indies because he did not want to make the gesture.

"I would like to start by saying sorry to my team-mates, and the fans back home," he said. 

"If me taking a knee helps to educate others, and makes the lives of others better, I am more than happy to do so."

:snip:

Cricket South Africa (CSA) then issued a directive shortly before the match on Tuesday against the Windies that all players should take a knee.

"I did not, in any way, mean to disrespect anyone by not playing against West Indies, especially the West Indian team themselves," added De Kock. 

"Maybe some people don't understand that we were just hit with this on Tuesday morning, on the way to a game. 

"I am deeply sorry for all the hurt, confusion and anger that I have caused."

He added: "I've been called a lot of things as a cricketer. But those didn't hurt. Being called a racist because of a misunderstanding hurts me deeply.

"It hurts my family. It hurts my pregnant wife. 

"I am not a racist. In my heart of hearts, I know that. And I think those who know me know that."

:snip:

Beeb

Really good tournament so far, Afghanistan ran Pakistan close today, unfortunately they had a mare in the 19th over and conceded 24 runs (which was the exact number Pakistan required to win). 

England game should be interesting, will likely be pretty close I reckon despite the fact Australia are not a particularly good T20 side, Finch, Warner and Smith are plenty dangerous.

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Really good tournament so far, Afghanistan ran Pakistan close today, unfortunately they had a mare in the 19th over and conceded 24 runs (which was the exact number Pakistan required to win). 

England game should be interesting, will likely be pretty close I reckon despite the fact Australia are not a particularly good T20 side, Finch, Warner and Smith are plenty dangerous.

Was routing for Afghanistan but great hitting, yes England v Australia should be a good one

England and Pakistan look a step ahead of everyone else in the tournament so far. Afghanistan are far from a bad side (in fact theyre probably more dangerous than an Ireland or a Bangladesh by a good margin) but when they're the 3rd worst side in a World Cup group you know it's not the bumpiest of rides for you. India will find a way into the final somehow probably. Been surprised with how poor the Windies have been 

12 minutes ago, theunderstudy said:

England and Pakistan look a step ahead of everyone else in the tournament so far. Afghanistan are far from a bad side (in fact theyre probably more dangerous than an Ireland or a Bangladesh by a good margin) but when they're the 3rd worst side in a World Cup group you know it's not the bumpiest of rides for you. India will find a way into the final somehow probably. Been surprised with how poor the Windies have been 

They're come a long way Afghanistan since Andy Moles went over there to coach them. I just hope the taliban doesn't set that back. Obviously fear for the womens game. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

Yes El Talibano was the best game I've watched so far.  I just hope Afghanistan's progress isn't stopped if they ban women from playing the game as I think the ICC say full members have to have a women's team.  Cricket needs more competitive international teams.

Â