Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

8 hours ago, blandy said:

And they've won with a cracking catch!

You Bears!

Yeah, for all the talk of they lost it in the first innings and winning the toss was so crucial, getting little over half The Bears total they lost it fairly convincingly in their second innings too:D 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

I see Moeen Ali has been awarded a Central Contract with England. Now I could be wrong but I thought he had stated that he didn't want to play Test cricket any more. If that is the case, how on Earth has he been given a Central Contract ? That  and the fact that he has been a wicket down for some time now. Must lead a charmed life in cricket !

4 minutes ago, veloman said:

I see Moeen Ali has been awarded a Central Contract with England. Now I could be wrong but I thought he had stated that he didn't want to play Test cricket any more. If that is the case, how on Earth has he been given a Central Contract ? That  and the fact that he has been a wicket down for some time now. Must lead a charmed life in cricket !

Seems there are no red ball and white ball contracts anymore. Just central contacts. I imagine Moeen will play a lot of white ball cricket. Jason Roy has a central contract as well and he'll never be good enough for test cricket. 

There is no doubt my dislike of the Northern monkey David Lloyd knows no bounds but his latest comments just reinforce it. He has said that England will be white washed in The Ashes, the squad isn't good enough and suggested 3 players who should have been included. Now, have a wild guess which County they play for ? Is voicing opinions like that , in the National press, before the squad has even left these shores , an intelligent or diplomatic thing to do. Realise he is entitled to his opinion but he must have known it would be widely publicized - how must the players feel on reading that !

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, veloman said:

There is no doubt my dislike of the Northern monkey David Lloyd knows no bounds but his latest comments just reinforce it. He has said that England will be white washed in The Ashes, the squad isn't good enough and suggested 3 players who should have been included. Now, have a wild guess which County they play for ? Is voicing opinions like that , in the National press, before the squad has even left these shores , an intelligent or diplomatic thing to do. Realise he is entitled to his opinion but he must have known it would be widely publicized - how must the players feel on reading that !

He did say such as Haseeb Hameed won't win you ashes and he was a Lancashire lad. I met him once and he was  very jovial man. 

12 minutes ago, veloman said:

To be fair I struggle to imagine how England will win a match considering it is basically the same bunch of players that lost at home to NZ and India.  I agree with Bumble's suggestions being shit though.  He seems to be the only older commentator that kept his job solely to be the 'jester' but he is past his sell-by date.  Nonetheless I think BT are just using Australian coverage for the Ashes which will be even more painful than listening to Bumble.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MCU said:

Very underwhelming game yesterday. A bit perplexed as to why we lost 4 wickets before seeing the game out but a wins a win.

Looking forward to India V Pakistan later!

Poor game but like you say a wins a win 

8 minutes ago, Rodders said:

de kock refusing to play the worlc cup match because the team would be taking the knee. **** me, and from a white south african, what a **** knob. very much in team west indies now. 

Where did you read that?

34 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Where did you read that?

on another forum, but just to check he has previous: 

https://www.news24.com/sport/cricket/proteas/quinton-de-kock-explains-his-black-lives-matter-stance-and-unique-landmark-celebrations-20210612

Proteas wicketkeeper Quinton de Kock chose not to disclose the reasons as to why he did not take the knee nor raise his fist at the start of play of the ongoing Test against the West Indies in St Lucia.

and an hour before play Cricket SA issued a memo saying they wanted all players to take the knee before the game,  and hey ho de kock suddenly withdraws for personal reasons. 

**** the guy

Reported in the currant bun too.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/16537421/south-africa-de-kock-refuse-knee-cricket/

SOUTH AFRICAN star Quinton de Kock pulled out of the match against West Indies today after he apparently refused to take a knee.

De Kock, 28, made himself unavailable “for personal reasons” just hours after Cricket South Africa ordered all players to make the gesture against racism.

I think he might just have ended his international career.

Good.

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

on another forum, but just to check he has previous: 

https://www.news24.com/sport/cricket/proteas/quinton-de-kock-explains-his-black-lives-matter-stance-and-unique-landmark-celebrations-20210612

and an hour before play Cricket SA issued a memo saying they wanted all players to take the knee before the game,  and hey ho de kock suddenly withdraws for personal reasons. 

**** the guy

Thanks thats terrible

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Reported in the currant bun too.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/16537421/south-africa-de-kock-refuse-knee-cricket/

I think he might just have ended his international career.

Good.

It's maybe a bit deeper than the obvious first conclusion?

I mean the saffers, in including QdK have been taking the knee for a while now, albeit they were a bit late to the party. But it is one of the things with SA cricket that the quota system they have (so that the team isn't picked wholly on sporting merit) is something that not all their cricketers are totally happy with. I think KP pretty much moved to England because of it. So some of them feel that whatever the longer term good of positive discrimination to boost Black representation, sporting careers are being affected. I wonder if it's as much around South African unique cricket/politics that (and we don't know it is the case) QdK may have decided it's not something he's OK with, even though he wants equality in society generally?

• Like 1

Just now, blandy said:

I mean the staffers, in including QdK have been taking the knee for a while now, albeit they were a bit late to the party. But it is one of the things with SA cricket that the quota system they have (so that the team isn't picked wholly on sporting merit) is something that not all their cricketers are totally happy with. I think KP pretty much moved to England because of it. So some of them feel that whatever the longer term good of positive discrimination to boost Black representation, sporting careers are being affected. I wonder if it's as much around South African unique cricket/politics that (and we don't know it is the case) QdK may have decided it's not something he's OK with, even though he wants equality in society generally?

All of that might well be true, but you'd think he'd still manage to read the room?

18 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

All of that might well be true, but you'd think he'd still manage to read the room?

Possibly. Or possibly it's at such a point, the grievances, that he just thought **** it. I mean SA cricket is not financially rewarding for the players, they can and do earn their income through IPL and franchise cricket and get peanuts for international stuff. They are seriously hacked off with their board - it's something that brought about all the kolpak players back 15 years ago and since (till the UK put a bit of an end to it). Players could earn more playing county cricket than playing international cricket for SA, and they(some) also had their paths blocked because of the quotas. It's easy to look at it from our angle and think "muppet", I just wonder if things have got so bad, that the other side (if I'm right about it) is worth knowing about?

• Like 2

Â