Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

1 hour ago, Eidolon said:

Sorry, wasn’t trying to make it seem like that was the sole factor in the game and you are right they did get closer than was comfortable in the end which is a credit to the England bats but on the evidence of the previous tests and knowing the forecast I think you try to give yourself the best possible chance to bowl a struggling batting line up out early. Might have been a different result if the quicks could have bowled out too but it’s all academic now. Well played England and on to hopefully the best game of the series in Hobart 😁

Thank you and well played yet again Australia! 🇦🇺 They're so much better than England often in test cricket.

I suppose your lot could have declared a little earlier in the 2nd innings as I guess us getting to around 350 in ours was unlikely with how little time was left, plus 3 injuries suddenly.

I think an England win in Hobart is really unlikely with Butler now out and Stokes and Bairstow both quite badly injured too. So because of all that I'd be kind of quite happy with a draw, in the hope that we'll finally win a test match in Australia next time, in a few years, and because at least 3-0 would be an improvement on our last two away Ashes series! :s Good grief. 😑🙄😕

Edited by robby b

22 hours ago, blandy said:

It's where the number of fielders allowed outside the ring (i.e. protecting the boundary) is limited to 2 - it gives the batting side more chance of hitting boundaries during the power plays.

It's something that's been around in 50 over cricket (ODIs etc.) for yonks. Not sure T20 really needs it, but there you go.

Thanks for that,it will make the game easier to understand ( never watched cricket b4 )

How many power player can you have and for how many overs ?,thanks in advance.

Just now, PussEKatt said:

Thanks for that,it will make the game easier to understand ( never watched cricket b4 )

You're welcome. FWIW, in terms of "having a team" Perth Scorchers is the one I've got as I've been to see them play at the Optus.

Anyway, the competition rules set out (depending on the comp) when the power plays occur. In T20 over cricket in the UK (and IPL) it's the first 6 overs of an innings.

In the BBL, they've added that the batting team can pick whenever they like to have a 2 over "power surge" with only 2 fielders outside the ring - so the other 9 are all close in at the point of delivery of the ball, by the bowler.

On 11/01/2022 at 00:00, PussEKatt said:

On 11/01/2022 at 00:06, blandy said:

You're welcome. FWIW, in terms of "having a team" Perth Scorchers is the one I've got as I've been to see them play at the Optus.

Anyway, the competition rules set out (depending on the comp) when the power plays occur. In T20 over cricket in the UK (and IPL) it's the first 6 overs of an innings.

In the BBL, they've added that the batting team can pick whenever they like to have a 2 over "power surge" with only 2 fielders outside the ring - so the other 9 are all close in at the point of delivery of the ball, by the bowler.

I'm not a Big Bash expert but I believe for this season it is the first 4 overs of each innings plus the "power surge" blandy mentioned.

• Like 1

Anyone waking up at 4am tonight to watch/follow the final match?! I might put my alarm on for 7, a bit earlier than usual, and then once again bravely open the BBC sports page with dread. 😓🙈😞 It's nice that being an Aston Villa fan and an England cricket fan is just so relaxing. Does anyone think this time we could finally actually... win?! 

Edited by robby b

30 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I hadn't realised that this test started so much later than the others. 

I was looking forward to an hour of cricket or two before bed - not sure how I feel about getting up at four!

Yeah, a day-night game in Hobart. You’ll be warmer in your bed than the cricketers are, once it gets dark, if there’s a southerly wind there.

I think I’ll get up normal time and catch the last session. Waking up at 4 to listen hasn’t worked so far.

edit. Easterly at the mo’

6C554EF1-AAC3-484C-9377-7D1CC279FFF7.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I hadn't realised that this test started so much later than the others. 

I was looking forward to an hour of cricket or two before bed - not sure how I feel about getting up at four!

A day/night game in Hobart is definitely going to be weird.

Unfortunately when it got moved from Perth the TV overlords demanded it retain its original time slot, hence it being a day/night test (as Perth is 3 hours behind the east coast)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hornso said:

A day/night game in Hobart is definitely going to be weird.

Unfortunately when it got moved from Perth the TV overlords demanded it retain its original time slot, hence it being a day/night test (as Perth is 3 hours behind the east coast)

Weird, weird decision. Tassie can be bloody cold (by our standards) so can’t think the players will be to happy once the lights come on and it drops down

• Like 3

Yay! We're not batting first as we won the toss this time. It will be nice not to wake up to news of the usual batting collapse (unless Australia have one first but that probably won't happen, they've made three 400s out of their four 1st innings so far). Start delayed due to drizzle, back to sleep. 😴 

Edited by robby b

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

Just woke up, saw 85-4 and thought…normal service has resumed, then properly awoke and realised that was the Aussies batting

Might be an interesting game ahead

England bowling very well in good conditions, much more interesting 😁 no one likes one sided contests 

• Like 1

Can safely say Woakes doesn't get picked for another overseas tour again. Had an utterly woeful day today.  Magnificent in home conditions, but offering diddly squat elsewhere ( though solid with the bat )

Edited by Rodders

Â