Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Putting aside aesthetics, and irritation at unremovable bloatware (without root), it consumes RAM like nothing else. It might not be something you think too much about, but once your notice, it's quite frustrating. Even the new Note suffers from apps constantly having to reload if you switch between more than 2-3 apps, because the RAM is utilised so badly. No other flagship has this.

On another note, there's a big thread voer on Reddit about the Android wakelock issues still being a problem on Marshmallow. 'Doze' hasn't fixed it at all. That's probably the final straw for me, tbh, battery issues have been fairly common for 3 major releases now, I'll be comparing Windows and iOS for my next phone.

On another note, there's a big thread voer on Reddit about the Android wakelock issues still being a problem on Marshmallow. 'Doze' hasn't fixed it at all. That's probably the final straw for me, tbh, battery issues have been fairly common for 3 major releases now, I'll be comparing Windows and iOS for my next phone.

This confuses me. Sony devices will happily do 2 days on a charge. If wakelock issues are an inherent problem in Android, does that mean they'll last 4 days when it's fixed? Seems unlikely. If Sony have fixed it, why hasn't the fix been back-ported to stock? Is this a real problem or an excuse for crappy hardware?

If you're lucky, the Windows phones will be Android by then :)

The thing is, it seems incredibly difficult to reproduce. It doesn't affect everyone with every type of device, but it'll affect some people, on all models. Sony's phones get 2 days of battery, but not if they're hit by wakelocks.

Which you'd think means it's something the user is doing, right? I was plagued by this on my Note3 and Nexus 6. It'd be really intermittant, one day I'd come home with 50% battery, othertimes, with identical usage, I'd need to charge by lunchtime. 

On my Nexus 6, I factory reset, installed no apps, and within a few days I had seen it again, Google Play Services absolutely annihilating my battery with no third party apps to blame. It's like there's a big "**** this guy" checkbox on an admin panel at Google HQ.

Edited by Davkaus

Ah, I didn't realise it was that kind of fault. I guess I've been lucky. I've had a few times when my battery has unexpectedly been low, but so occasionally that I put it down to not charging it properly.

It does sound like a hardware issue though. I wonder if it happens to Nexus 4 user's running Ubuntu.

I personally think that the current crop of Android flagships phones are excellent but perhaps have reached saturation point. Until quad HD handsets also have good battery life I'll be sticking with the trusty OPO.

OnePlus X, looks good. By most accounts the One Plus 2 hasn't had quite the same impact ad the One, but the X has excellent specs, and potentially another market destroying price tag.

Not a flagship killer, but potentially could mop the floor with the rest of the mid range market.

I personally think that the current crop of Android flagships phones are excellent but perhaps have reached saturation point. Until quad HD handsets also have good battery life I'll be sticking with the trusty OPO.

OnePlus X, looks good. By most accounts the One Plus 2 hasn't had quite the same impact ad the One, but the X has excellent specs, and potentially another market destroying price tag.

Not a flagship killer, but potentially could mop the floor with the rest of the mid range market.

if any bugger manages to get one that is. Still haven't had an invite for a oneplus two yet and I applied on the announce day.

if any bugger manages to get one that is. Still haven't had an invite for a oneplus two yet and I applied on the announce day.

Think i offered my invite on here too, didnt really feel i needed the upgrade from the 1

Have you actually clicked the link you provided for the OnePlus X? :D 

Edited by PieFacE

If you put your name down for an invite you'd have got the email announcing:

One Plus Two goes on sale without an invite on 12th October.

Not sure how long the sale lasts for though.

Must have missed it or not paid attention. In any case, got it today weirdly enough but they only have the more expensive version in stock. Plus I think I'd prefer the One+ X anyway. Such a frustrating company.

I have a one+2 invite spare now though if anyone wants within the next 72 hours.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

Trying to install an android update on my HTC m8. It's update version 4.16.401.13 - android security patches. Every time I do it an error appears with lots of blue and green writing. It says installation aborted.  Following errors:

e: missing bitmap oem)unlock_bg (code -1) x 3

e: error in /data/media/0/download/OTA_M8_UL_ etc etc

Anyone come across something like this before? 

Trying to install an android update on my HTC m8. It's update version 4.16.401.13 - android security patches. Every time I do it an error appears with lots of blue and green writing. It says installation aborted.  Following errors:

e: missing bitmap oem)unlock_bg (code -1) x 3

e: error in /data/media/0/download/OTA_M8_UL_ etc etc

Anyone come across something like this before? 

Ever rooted your phone or got it from a non official source?

I've given up on the flagship phones and gone for an Elephone P8000.  Three months in and I wouldn't swap it for anything.  Runs like lightning on stock android and the battery lasts forever.

However, can anyone recommend a really good media player?  Just for music?  I would like something similar to Windows Media Player, where I can build up track listings ideally.  I've got a 128GB card in the P8000, which on top of the 16GB internal memory will allow me to carry a lot of music around with me.  Any suggestions?

Â