Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Had a play on a nexus 6 for the first time yesterday, while it's obviously a huge phone its not as chunky or heavy as I imagined. It's not even as big as imagined.

While the screen is sharp it's not as nice as I thought it would be, ever so slightly warm colours, not great viewing angles etc....

It is however like **** off a shovel, buttery smooth. Was very impressed with it.

Camera was pretty decent, not in the upper echelons of phone photography but a damn sight better than my moto e :P

The thing that I liked best was that it was so light for a big phone and felt quite slim in the hand. Definitely the most premium nexus yet.

Based on my little play with it im looking forward to seeing whats in store next for its little sibling the next moto X. May pick the current one up as its £229 on moto maker at the mo.

Edited by Ingram85

• 3 weeks later...

Need/want to finally replace my Nexus 4, but what to replace it with?? One Plus Two being released later this month according to reports, or get a Nexus 6? Is there a new Nexus due later this year? Otherwise any other phones I should look at?

If budget isn't an issue then Xperia Z3+ (unless you need wireless charging). The battery is brilliant, it's IP68 waterproof and it feels really good in your hand.

I'm going to get the dual SIM version if I can find an importer.

Has anyone managed to install stock android on an Amazon Kindle HDX?

The standard kindle os is poop.

Only sort of.

I got a Fire HD6 of ebay for £25.00 just to take on holiday rather than my Nexus 9 and if you have a look on XDA there is preview for the next Amazon OS based on lollipop and it is pretty close to AOSP. No rooting or anything required.

see here - LINK

I did start trying to put play services etc on to it before that and decided that this is the better option.

If I could get CM or similar onto the HD6 it would be an awsome bit of kit.

Need/want to finally replace my Nexus 4, but what to replace it with?? One Plus Two being released later this month according to reports, or get a Nexus 6? Is there a new Nexus due later this year? Otherwise any other phones I should look at?

My Nexus 5 is dying on its arse as the battery just wont last a day. Really tempted to get a Nexus 6 but the new model will be out at the end of October if they stick to the normal cycle so will wait.

Genuine quesion, can you use a regular usb keyboard on a tablet if you buy a micro usb to usb adaptor?

I knew you can buy phone specific keyboards, but you wont be able to use your regular keyboard without the firmware on your phone and its extremely doubtful any major keyboard manufacturers make firmware for android.

Maybe somebody else knows better.

Edit - actually I guess it's not that unlikely as a tablet would use the same firmware. So I don't really know. Glad to be of help!

Edit 2 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00PIMNFBQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1436545341&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=keyboard+for+android&dpPl=1&dpID=51DGVht11VL&ref=plSrch

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

Genuine quesion, can you use a regular usb keyboard on a tablet if you buy a micro usb to usb adaptor?

I knew you can buy phone specific keyboards, but you wont be able to use your regular keyboard without the firmware on your phone and its extremely doubtful any major keyboard manufacturers make firmware for android.

Maybe somebody else knows better.

Edit - actually I guess it's not that unlikely as a tablet would use the same firmware. So I don't really know. Glad to be of help!

Edit 2 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00PIMNFBQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1436545341&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=keyboard+for+android&dpPl=1&dpID=51DGVht11VL&ref=plSrch

Thanks DDID, by the way, you sat in front of me at Wigan away about 8 years ago

Has anyone managed to install stock android on an Amazon Kindle HDX?

The standard kindle os is poop.

Only sort of.

I got a Fire HD6 of ebay for £25.00 just to take on holiday rather than my Nexus 9 and if you have a look on XDA there is preview for the next Amazon OS based on lollipop and it is pretty close to AOSP. No rooting or anything required.

see here - LINK

I did start trying to put play services etc on to it before that and decided that this is the better option.

If I could get CM or similar onto the HD6 it would be an awsome bit of kit.

No dice.... the developer preview doesn't support the HDX.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone changed the battery on a Nexus 5 or got it done somewhere.

LG wont do it as its out of contract and have put me in touch with a company who have quoted £45.00, wondering if its worth having a go myself.

Simplicity itself. Nexus 5 is almost a replaceable battery anyway. Pull the back off and change the battery. The back just takes a bit more pulling.

• Like 1

Simplicity itself. Nexus 5 is almost a replaceable battery anyway. Pull the back off and change the battery. The back just takes a bit more pulling.

Well I would have guessed that if anybody had it would be you Darren. Did it improve the battery life? and where did you get the battery from (if you dont mind).

Cheers

OnePlus Two has been announced. £289 for the 64gb model.

Looks very nice.

I'm approaching two years on my Nexus 5 so this may well be my next phone. Just need to get my hands on an invite!!

TechRadar info

Does look like an ideal replacement for a Nexus 5.

Its going to be a choice of this or possible one of the new Nexus phones when announced, obviously this has price on its side from the off.

Have signed up to their invite system and will see how long it takes to come through.

Well I would have guessed that if anybody had it would be you Darren. Did it improve the battery life? and where did you get the battery from (if you dont mind).

Cheers

I haven't actually replaced the battery I'm afraid. I just soldier on with a 2 year old battery. My battery life does seem poor compared to new but I've surrounded myself with chargers to offset it.

I have replaced my screen though which consisted of stripping down and swapping all components. And then stripping down again when I hadn't put it back together properly.

I'd suggest making sure it's an original lg battery to avoid potential explosions but apart from that I don't think you can go wrong. When pulling the back off just do it gently at the stuck on bit at the bottom is about the only thing I can think of.

16GB is £239. (Prices are probably ex-VAT).

Worth mentioning I think the 16GB version will be released later. And it only has 3GB of RAM compared to 4GB in the 64GB version

• Like 1

Â