• Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Carew
    • Agbonlahor
    • Sidwell (for Petrov 84)
    • Heskey (for Carew 90)

From my point of view Petrov controlled the midfield in the first half and played well in the second till he tired(from covering Milners space as he pushed forward). He really is a class act sometimes!

Its funny how different people view the same things!

I think its because he never really imposes himself on a game, he's the kind of player who does the donkey work, a la Didier Deschamps, who disappears into the background. He had a good game tonight but he's inconsistent.

Not sure who to believe. The people who say we were awful and everyone should get 5 or the match reports on the bbc and sky which paint a picture of a game in which we basically dominated and were "a constant threat".

Focus on the positive direction is needed I think.

1) The defence, which has looked a little shaky of late, is being roundly applauded by everyone who watched or listened to the game.

2) Gabby has started scoring frequently again and looks a lot more composed and complete every game that passes.

3) Warnock and Downing looked more confident than some of the wayward performances recently

4) We're winning games when it matters - those accusing us of having no bottle in the past take note.

All these are signs of going the right way. Be optimistic about things!

And for the Petrov naysayers...Actually watch him, just him, in the next game. He will hardly ever give the ball away, he touch is absolutely immaculate, he is able to create space with ease and can win a free kick in order to relieve pressure if needed. He is a quality, composed player. Admittedly he does tire and should get switched, but he puts a great shift in mopping up and tackling.

3 pts, 3 good points. Away win is always nice.

I don't believe we can be 4th, but I hope 5th. But if we want to be at top five, we cannot loose any point. We have to win, Birmingham, City and Blackburn.

Maybe this is more likely,

Aston Villa

Birmingham , home 3

M.City, away 0

Blackburn, home 3

M.City

Arsenal, away 0

A.Villa, home 3

Spurs, home 1

West H., away 3

Tottenham

M. Utd., away 0

Bolton, home 3

M. City, away 1

Burnley, away 3

Liverpool

Burnley, away 3

Chelsea, home 3

Hull, away 3

Total

Tottenham 71

M. City 69

Liverpool 68

Villa 67

Kiddybloke:

Unlike me i would have to go with the media :D

Awful...............don't get that, we controlled a game at a difficult ground where the opposition have a good record, they where playing for there Premeirship survival, and yes they had a chance but that happens in every game, fact is we where dominant and composed and we didn't fade which we have become known for.

Another point is Villa are coming back from sh*tty disappointments, crap Refs that have cost us a final and a semi to a degree, but the lads look as though they are bouncing back.

Can see what the media are on about IMO.

Yeah those stats from before any of us were born are really relevant nowadays.

When the claim is "First time in Aston Villa's history" why does it matter what year you were born? Relevance or otherwise isn't the issue.

Not sure who to believe. The people who say we were awful and everyone should get 5 or the match reports on the bbc and sky which paint a picture of a game in which we basically dominated and were "a constant threat".

We were a big threat...but shit as well if you know what I mean...a typical good Villa performance we're were brilliant in five minute spells, create great chances....miss them terribly...and then make incredibly amateur cock ups.....one of those performances a better team would have more than likely beat us with. ( Cuellar doing shit like running cross field and you just see that he's running straight into an opposition player, passing it to them, or just going all the way up to send a "cross" into the stands". We really should have had at least one more goal though...if Petrov wasnt such a slow and backwards player.

Credit where it's due...but the glaring faults which have been evident in the team and the manager were still there to be seen.

Gabby is going to be an immense player...i really believe that, the future strike partnership of Villa is Gabby and Fonz i feel.

Carew was quite good too.

MON was MON.

From my point of view Petrov controlled the midfield in the first half and played well in the second till he tired(from covering Milners space as he pushed forward). He really is a class act sometimes!

Its funny how different people view the same things!

I think its because he never really imposes himself on a game, he's the kind of player who does the donkey work, a la Didier Deschamps, who disappears into the background. He had a good game tonight but he's inconsistent.

The last thing he is is inconsistent, in fact he would be one of the most consistent players we have....dependable they call it.

The amount of work Petrov gets through in a game is immense and that together with his coolness on the ball is a combination a lot of teams would kill for.

I’m sure if you asked any of the opposition’s midfielders whether they thought he imposed himself you would get an affirmative answer 99% of the time. He is class!

League table after 35 games last season. Don't tell me we're not in better shape this time around!

P TEAM        P   W   D   L   F   A  Pts   GD
1 Man United 35 26 5 4 65 24 83 +41
2 Liverpool 35 22 11 2 69 26 77 +43
3 Chelsea 35 22 8 5 59 21 74 +38
4 Arsenal 35 19 11 5 63 32 68 +31
5 A. Villa 35 16 10 9 51 44 58 +7[/code]

Man, so Chelsea are as good as Liverpool were last season

funny old game

I don't think it's anywhere near guaranteed that both Spurs and City will lose at the weekend so 4th will probably be gone before it becomes crazily tight, but improving your points total every year is alright by me

It's quite simple, we came tearing out of the blocks looking for a goal, got one and sat back in comfort. Hull threw a lot of long balls into the box which Dunne and Collins swatted away effortlessly, there was one scare in the first half when Kilbane missed a sitter but we survived in and had a number of decent counters one of which led to the penalty. I doubt many of our players broke much of a sweat. Some people would have liked us to be a bit flashier and more attack minded but with a big game on Sunday such play would have only tired our players and given Hull a proper chance to have a go at us so there was no point.

We got the job done and it cost us very little in terms of energy. Roll on Sunday!

League table after 35 games last season. Don't tell me we're not in better shape this time around!

1 Man United 35  26   5   4  65  24   83  +41

2 Liverpool  35  22  11   2  69  26   77  +43

3 Chelsea    35  22   8   5  59  21   74  +38

4 Arsenal    35  19  11   5  63  32   68  +31

5 A. Villa   35  16  10   9  51  44   58   +7

So we've turned 3 of our defeats into draws...

And 4th have turned 4 of their draws into defeats :D

My point is we were 10pts off 4th, now we're 3pts off. You have to look at your points total in the context of those around you.

5 for everyone except MON. he gets 1 for lack of imaginary.

Hilarious.

I listened to the 5 Live commentary and then watched highlights at the Old Fellers..........how you can seriously give everyone a 5 is beyond me.

Pretty dull game up at Hull (see what I did there?) - but we looked comfortable and the only outcome was going to be 3 point for the Villa. The commentators described it as an efficient performance, I would call it a routine win.

3 points is all that matters, and there where some good individual performances out there, I'm talking about Collins, Dunne and Petrov. Special mention to Cuellar for his uncharacteristic Brazilian-esque flick, then reminded us that he is actually Carlos Cuellar by accidently knocking the ball out for a throw with his next touch. Priceless.

Roll on the the slum dwelling bin dippers... Could be an interesting last 3 games.....

1 Man United 35  26   5   4  65  24   83  +41

2 Liverpool  35  22  11   2  69  26   77  +43

3 Chelsea    35  22   8   5  59  21   74  +38

4 Arsenal    35  19  11   5  63  32   68  +31

5 A. Villa   35  16  10   9  51  44   58   +7

So we've turned 3 of our defeats into draws...

so we are 4 points of 4th?

so we have let in 9 less?

so we have +8 better goal difference?

so we have 3 points more?

Shut up really stop being so neggative dim wits like you need to stop looking down.