What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

People on this board need to stop reading the papers as much. As MYSTERYMAN said yesterday, there has been no further contact from Citeh.

Why would he go there now anyway? They are only playing in the same competitions as us this season. Champions League football is not guaranteed at any point, and is certainly not happening this season.

Remember, the Arab billionaires have been there for nearly two years now and they've won nothing in that time, despite spending around £200m on the squad, they are currently in no better a position than us...

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd boo Milner if he joined Man City this summer as opposed to a side who will actually be in the champions league and win things. Same with Gareth. Go to a proper club and fine, disappointed as I'll be at least you're genuinely going to win something at United or Chelsea.

At the moment despite all the investment there's still no guarantee at all they'll be winning anything and basically he'll be in the same boat at Villa ( plus an extra 20k a week ), and right now he's loved by most of the fans and has enjoyed a lot of personal success whilst he's been here.

I am still fairly sure he's simply ensuring he gets a massive contract here, which he deserves, and if nec, he'll bugger off in two years to a cup winning side.

People on this board need to stop reading the papers as much. As MYSTERYMAN said yesterday, there has been no further contact from Citeh.

Why would he go there now anyway? They are only playing in the same competitions as us this season. Champions League football is not guaranteed at any point, and is certainly not happening this season.

Remember, the Arab billionaires have been there for nearly two years now and they've won nothing in that time, despite spending around £200m on the squad, they are currently in no better a position than us...

And they had Thaksin Shinawatra chucking money at them left, right and centre for the 2 seasons prior to that as well!

Money doesn't always work (it certainly helps though!) - stability between the board, back room and playing staff is essential - something our club can be proud of. We're getting a good reputation for developing younger players and credited for our 'british' squad.

The irony of all this is that Milner will go to Man City for big money and, upon his return to Villa Park, will either receive a decent or, at worse, a neutral reception.

Gareth Barry, one of our longest serving players through thick, and mainly, thin, who ensured that we received a decent fee for him when he departed, was booed upon his return.

That's why players don't take supporters into consideration when pondering a move.

Well Milner hasn't said that the only reason he'd leave would be for Champions League football and then joined a non Champions League team.

I think if Gareth Barry had kept his gob shut through the whole affair he'd get a good reception too.

The irony of all this is that Milner will go to Man City for big money and, upon his return to Villa Park, will either receive a decent or, at worse, a neutral reception.

Gareth Barry, one of our longest serving players through thick, and mainly, thin, who ensured that we received a decent fee for him when he departed, was booed upon his return.

That's why players don't take supporters into consideration when pondering a move.

Well Milner hasn't said that the only reason he'd leave would be for Champions League football and then joined a non Champions League team.

I think if Gareth Barry had kept his gob shut through the whole affair he'd get a good reception too.

Very true - Barry was very poorly advised by his agent at the time - The NOTW article was very very wrong. To be fair, he played well that season but did state he'd only leave for Champs Lge.....

Barry blew, what was a distinguished Villa career due to his poor choices when opening his mouth...

I'd boo Milner if he joined Man City this summer as opposed to a side who will actually be in the champions league and win things. Same with Gareth. Go to a proper club and fine, disappointed as I'll be at least you're genuinely going to win something at United or Chelsea.

At the moment despite all the investment there's still no guarantee at all they'll be winning anything and basically he'll be in the same boat at Villa ( plus an extra 20k a week ), and right now he's loved by most of the fans and has enjoyed a lot of personal success whilst he's been here.

I am still fairly sure he's simply ensuring he gets a massive contract here, which he deserves, and if nec, he'll bugger off in two years to a cup winning side.

Is it Milners fault if Villa agree a fee for him? If we get offered 30m and Villa take it then i dont see how its Milners fault. And if United or Chelsea are only prepared to offer say 20m then what do you want to happen. Milner to join a champions league club and fulfil his potential at the expense of 10m.

I will only be disappointed in Milner if he puts in a transfer request as i believe hes owes us another year.

for me we cant blame m ilner, we have to take a look at ourselves we blew cl twice. had we got cl and he still left then id be furious with milner. but we have to do what is best interest of teh club. if they bid 30m we ahve to sell as i dont believe he is actually worth that...yet

Because their career isn't about money (at least, it shouldn't be) and it's not as if an extra 30k to them is vital for paying the mortgage off.

Completely silly to compare every day work to that of a footballer.

Totally Disagree. Why shouldnt it be about money?

I know hes not a Villa fan, but if James Milner, the most professional footballer known to us, is prepared to jump shit to Man City for the sake of money then football really has become the preserve of the mercenary.

Milner is one of the last few individuals who i have faith in as a footballer. If he lets us down, then that will kill football that little bit more for me.

how will he be letting us down?, his loyalty is to himself and to money, next season he will be where-ever the best deal for james milner is, if that is away from villa then so be it, he is a self employed professional footballer, and will always chase the best contract, its not letting anyone down, its just the way it is

How would he be letting us down?

Do you not think that he owes us more than 1 good season since we payed over the odds to resurrect his career, helping him to become one of Englands most established players?

Personally, I think he does.

Ok so at your work, a company has recruited you, paying you a bit more than you should be getting, then 1 year/18months later, a big competitor of theirs comes along and says - here's an extra 30k a week to come here and do exactly the same job? You would snap their hand off.

I dont see why footballers are any different. We live in a world revolved by money, and if you want to improve your life and get paid more for your career....

100% agree!!

Think some people honestly believe that James Milner will be worrying about who he upsets if he accepts a wage packet thats doubles what he already earns.

He probably would think the same as me if I got offered a similar increase

Q. What about the customers where you work now?

A. Errrm, yeah, deep down, I couldnt give a shite about them tbh. Ive got my own problems, bills etc

I know hes not a Villa fan, but if James Milner, the most professional footballer known to us, is prepared to jump shit to Man City for the sake of money then football really has become the preserve of the mercenary.

Milner is one of the last few individuals who i have faith in as a footballer. If he lets us down, then that will kill football that little bit more for me.

how will he be letting us down?, his loyalty is to himself and to money, next season he will be where-ever the best deal for james milner is, if that is away from villa then so be it, he is a self employed professional footballer, and will always chase the best contract, its not letting anyone down, its just the way it is

Do you not think that he owes us more than 1 good season since we payed over the odds to resurrect his career, helping him to become one of Englands most established players?

Ok so at your work, a company has recruited you, paying you a bit more than you should be getting, then 1 year/18months later, a big competitor of theirs comes along and says - here's an extra 30k a week to come here and do exactly the same job? You would snap their hand off.

I dont see why footballers are any different. We live in a world revolved by money, and if you want to improve your life and get paid more for your career....

100% agree!!

Think some people honestly believe that James Milner will be worrying about who he upsets if he accepts a wage packet thats doubles what he already earns.

A. Errrm, yeah, deep down, I couldnt give a shite about them tbh. Ive got my own problems, bills etc

He wants to win things - he doesn't want to add yet more millions to the millions he's already getting. He's said it many times and, call me naive, but I actually believe him. I'm sure the number one factor in his decision is where he's most likely to win things (unfortunately Villa isn't one of the front runners in that respect).

100% agree!!

He wants to win things - he doesn't want to add yet more millions to the millions he's already getting. He's said it many times and, call me naive, but I actually believe him. I'm sure the number one factor in his decision is where he's most likely to win things (unfortunately Villa isn't one of the front runners in that respect).

Well every footballer wants to win things. Every person wants to win things. I want to win UK DJ of the year, but if i can earn an extra few quid djing in a place that also enhances the chances of me winning it then I will - mainly for the money.

I think James Milner is a as honest as they come, but you are naive if you think he wouldnt be interested in the extra 30k. He just won't and doesnt need to/or have to tell the whole world that.

Seriously? There can be no comparison whatsoever between the way Barry left and the eventual Milner departure.

There's a reason why Mellberg is a Villa hero and Barry is a judas to most Villa fans.

Agreed, Much as Barry was a great servant of the club he acted very poorly when he left unlike Mellberg.

If Milner goes we do not yet know how he will behave but so far I, personally, have no problem with how he has conducted himself. He strikes me as someone who will not disrespect the club and its fans.

Seriously? There can be no comparison whatsoever between the way Barry left and the eventual Milner departure.

There's a reason why Mellberg is a Villa hero and Barry is a judas to most Villa fans.

Agreed, Much as Barry was a great servant of the club he acted very poorly when he left unlike Mellberg.

If Milner goes we do not yet know how he will behave but so far I, personally, have no problem with how he has conducted himself. He strikes me as someone who will not disrespect the club and its fans.

Why take it so seriously and personally though? The fans dont show players respect all the time!

well i have been reading this thread and held back replying as really wasn't sure what to think at first but now i think that if he wants to leave as long as we get a good price i will not give him grief for going. James has handled himself so well throughout his career so i will trust that he will be doing whats best for him. I don't want him to go but if he leaves i think it will be for football reasons and not money

well i have been reading this thread and held back replying as really wasn't sure what to think at first but now i think that if he wants to leave as long as we get a good price i will not give him grief for going. James has handled himself so well throughout his career so i will trust that he will be doing whats best for him. I don't want him to go but if he leaves i think it will be for football reasons and not money

I will really struggle to believe that if he goes to Man City.

His head has been turned it's money simple as :!:

Who wouldn't in his position? There's now way I'd turn down an extra £2.5m a year or whatever, plus the increased chance of playing in the Champions League.

I will really struggle to believe that if he goes to Man City.

Why?

They're a club quite clearly on the up, they'll get Champions League before we do no doubt. They'll attract better players then we will no doubt. It is a step up for him. In the next 5years Milner could potentially be the core of a team that is pushing to win all trophy's. The flip side is, it could go the total opposite and he'd get no game time. It's a risk for Milner to move to Man City, but if he did move there for football reasons, i'd understand.

His head has been turned it's money simple as :!:

Who wouldn't in his position? There's now way I'd turn down an extra £2.5m a year or whatever, plus the increased chance of playing in the Champions League.

That's a shame -just hope we bleed citeh dry for him.... I had hopes for Milner to be our Captain one day...