What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

What... what's hap.... what's happening?...!!..

Glastonspur talked sense! ;)

I think you're absolutely right mate, sadly. And I don't believe Jimmy 'owes' us anything. An incredible season helping us finish in Europa place and 15m-ish profit in 2 years is quite a decent return on a player. If he wanted to go to Chelsea I wouldn't begrudge him, and I think it's best we move on.

It really does depend on what Milner wants to leave though. He's a smart lad. I don't think he's going to chase money, but Man City do offer temptations other than money - the chance to play alongside some of the best players in the world, which they will inevitable sign, and they will be successful very soon. Only Milner knows what he wants to do. I hope he stays, but if he does want to leave then I completely agree with Glaston.

Hopefully MON can surprise us all aswell and use the Milner money to actually buy wisely. But we'll probably end up with just replacing Milner with Jenas or something stupid.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What... what's hap.... what's happening?...!!..

Glastonspur talked sense! ;)

I think you're absolutely right mate, sadly. And I don't believe Jimmy 'owes' us anything. An incredible season helping us finish in Europa place and 15m-ish profit in 2 years is quite a decent return on a player. If he wanted to go to Chelsea I wouldn't begrudge him, and I think it's best we move on.

It really does depend on what Milner wants to leave though. He's a smart lad. I don't think he's going to chase money, but Man City do offer temptations other than money - the chance to play alongside some of the best players in the world, which they will inevitable sign, and they will be successful very soon. Only Milner knows what he wants to do. I hope he stays, but if he does want to leave then I completely agree with Glaston.

Hopefully MON can surprise us all aswell and use the Milner money to actually buy wisely. But we'll probably end up with just replacing Milner with Jenas or something stupid.

Great post up until you started having a go at MON. The man who quite easily replaced Laursen and Barry I think you will find

Milner was already at the club when Barry left.

Downng was brought in to replace Barry, and has failed miserably.

How was Downing purchased in order to replace Barry?! They are two totally different players and they play in different positions. I don't think I have seen it anywhere suggesting that Downing was replacing Barry....

The more likely scenario is that Delph is the long term replacement. Milner is there for now though.

Milner ended up in the middle. You could jus as easily say he moved into the middle to replace NRC or Sidwell.

Your argument is wrong...Downing was brought in to replace Barry, and has failed miserably.

Milner was already at the club when Barry left.

Downng was brought in to replace Barry, and has failed miserably.

How was Downing purchased in order to replace Barry?! They are two totally different players and they play in different positions. I don't think I have seen it anywhere suggesting that Downing was replacing Barry....

The more likely scenario is that Delph is the long term replacement. Milner is there for now though.

EH???????

Incredible !

Milner ended up in the middle. You could jus as easily say he moved into the middle to replace NRC or Sidwell.

Your argument is wrong...Downing was brought in to replace Barry, and has failed miserably.

No, your argument makes no sense whatsoever. Just because a player was sold and we got another one in, it doesn't mean he was meant to fill that position. There is no doubt in my mind that Downing was always going to play out wide, thus meaning that he wasn't a replacement for Barry....

He could also play in the middle if needed, yet he was never a replacement for Barry.

Just a slight coincidence, that soon as Downing came in, Jimmy moved across to CM. this was MON plan all along imo.

Anyway, whoever we replaced him with, weve not missed him or Laursen

I don't think its accurate to say Downing was signed to replace Barry but then I also think it is rather daft to claim a player signed before Barry's departure was his replacement either. To argue either of these things is in my view to try and bend reality to match a standpoint.

The only player who can be logically claimed to be Barry's replacement is Delph and its too early to say if he will succeed in replacing the man with the giant arse.

I don't think its accurate to say Downing was signed to replace Barry but then I also think it is rather daft to claim a player signed before Barry's departure was his replacement either. To argue either of these things is in my view to try and bend reality to match a standpoint.

The only player who can be logically claimed to be Barry's replacement is Delph and its too early to say if he will succeed in replacing the man with the giant arse.

Thats a fair point.

The post that started this indicated that MON wasnt capable of replacing our best players. What I suppose I wasnt clear on is that he seems to have managed through both signing new players and developing existing players.

I think MON gets unfair stick, but for me he deserves enormous credit. We aswell as James Milner in all honesty, probably never dreamnt of villa/him being linked with a 30million pound sale. Martin O'Neill has brought that to Villa

Lets be clear though Woody, Milner isn't a £30m player. The only reason he is being touted as such is the Man City mega bucks machine which will seemingly pay whatever it takes to get who they want as demonstrated by them paying £24m for Lescott.

I think O'Neill gets a fair bit of stick, some of it deserved some of it not. He makes mistakes, plenty of them but he also gets plenty right. The problem comes when some refuse to acknowledge the mistakes and others refuse to acknowledge his achievements.

For me, he did far better in the summer replacing Laursen than I thought he would but I don't believe he intended Milner to step into the hole left by Barry and his giant ass which is why Delph started the first game of the season against Wigan.

So for me O'Neill has had to replace two huge players in our side, Laursen and Barry. So far he has been successful in replacing one of them, the other remains to be seen so for me the jury on this aspect of his management is still out. If Milner goes he is suddenly going to get another opportunity to prove himself in this regard.

Lets be clear though Woody, Milner isn't a £30m player. The only reason he is being touted as such is the Man City mega bucks machine which will seemingly pay whatever it takes to get who they want as demonstrated by them paying £24m for Lescott.

I think O'Neill gets a fair bit of stick, some of it deserved some of it not. He makes mistakes, plenty of them but he also gets plenty right. The problem comes when some refuse to acknowledge the mistakes and others refuse to acknowledge his achievements.

For me, he did far better in the summer replacing Laursen than I thought he would but I don't believe he intended Milner to step into the hole left by Barry and his giant ass which is why Delph started the first game of the season against Wigan.

So for me O'Neill has had to replace two huge players in our side, Laursen and Barry. So far he has been successful in replacing one of them, the other remains to be seen so for me the jury on this aspect of his management is still out. If Milner goes he is suddenly going to get another opportunity to prove himself in this regard.

No hes not a 30million player your right, which makes it all that more genius if we get that for him.

Then, maybe hell just shift Cueller into CM - Sorted :winkold:

I am not saying anymore on the Milner debate as it will look as if I just randomly speculating . The truth will come out if he goes but as I say at present there is no deal anywhere close nor have Villa decided to sell . If Milner says yes I want to definately go then we will sell but at our price and that price at present is only a Man City price . Unless Real Madrid or Barca decide Milner is the man which aint ever going to happen .

Next season will see subtle changes to the team I believe with Gabby becoming the target man and Delfounso playing off him plus another striker and Weimann who they really rate don't rule out Ashley Young coming inside aswell with Albrighton getting far more of a run . First of all we got to sell Heskey and Carew though but thats the thought process !

I am not saying anymore on the Milner debate as it will look as if I just randomly speculating . The truth will come out if he goes but as I say at present there is no deal anywhere close nor have Villa decided to sell . If Milner says yes I want to definately go then we will sell but at our price and that price at present is only a Man City price . Unless Real Madrid or Barca decide Milner is the man which aint ever going to happen .

Next season will see subtle changes to the team I believe with Gabby becoming the target man and Delfounso playing off him plus another striker and Weimann who they really rate don't rule out Ashley Young coming inside aswell with Albrighton getting far more of a run . First of all we got to sell Heskey and Carew though but thats the thought process !

Im all of sudden looking forward to the new season.

Assuming they don't have much of a market value, I do think it would be very easy to sell both of those. Whatever we think of Emile on here, he is an England striker which half of the Premier League would like to own. And Carew was being looked at by Spurs last season. Even if they no longer want him, that's a glimpse at the calibre of side that like him.