The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

1 hour ago, Crumpet said:

What are peoples thoughts on AEW at the moment. For me it has losts its shine in the last few months. Hangman has put on great fights but i don't feel is pushing the Heavyweight picture forward. I wouldn't be surprised if he lost to Cole, and with a returning Omega coming sets up an Undisputed Era v Elite Storyline.

On the undercard, apart from MJF/Wardlow story it all seems a bit weak IMO. Punk slowly climbing up the ladder is fine but isn't wowing and the TNT belt scene is not interesting at the moment.

On the plus FTR are putting on 4.5/5 Star matches at the moment so the tag division is in good hand. ReDragon to take the titles and a FTR belt collector story will keep my interest there. 

Would be interested to see if anyone else is thinking the product has dropped slightly recently?

I think its been brilliant recently although some questionable bookings. Dont understand why keith lee is being booked so poorly. Cm punk has no feud setup either.

If i was a betting man i think cole beats hangman page setting up a cole vs punk feud.

The biggest issue aew has is a over inflated roster. They are struggling to fit them in the shows.

If i was booking i would have omega returning and costing colethe title setting up a feud omega vs cole feud. (It doesnt need to be a title feud) i would have Punk vs page for next ppv personally for title

On 05/04/2022 at 17:56, Demitri_C said:

Which three female wrestlers do you think are the hottest? That can be aew wwe impact japan etc.

For me britt baker, mandy Rose and liv morgan/sasha banks. But alot of hot women. My favourite was charly caruso. Damn she is hot

When Sasha Banks does that thing with her hips 🤤

15 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

AEW seems to be going down the path that lead to TNA failing.  Too many ex-WWE stars are taking time away from new talent.   

Samoa Joe coming in like a wrecking ball.

I remember TNA before they started signing WWE castoffs.  Christopher Daniels, AJ Styles and Samoa Joe were like a breath of fresh air. Signing Cristian Cage was a massive achievement.  The Dudley Boys added more credibility.  Getting Kurt Angle made people feel they were going places.  But then the flood gates opened and the ex-WWE stars started pushing fresh talent aside.  

AEW should sign ex-WWE talent if its worth it.  But my excitement at hearing Cristian Cage had signed with TNA hasn't replicated when he signed for AEW.  Nor do I want to see Taz, Mark Henry, Sting, Big Show and The Hardys when AEW could be creating their own younger stars.  

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Spelling mishsteaks

27 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I remember TNA before they started signing WWE castoffs.  Christopher Daniels, AJ Styles and Samoa Joe were like a breath of fresh air. Signing Cristian Cage was a massive achievement.  The Dudley Boys added more credibility.  Getting Kurt Angle made people feel they were going places.  But then the flood gates opened and the ex-WWE stars started pushing fresh talent aside.  

AEW should sign ex-WWE talent if its worth it.  But my excitement at hearing Cristian Cage had signed with TNA has replicated when he signed for AEW.  Nor do I want to see Taz, Mark Henry, Sting, Big Show and The Hardys when AEW could be creating their own younger stars.  

Yeah they signing too many. This is the biggest problem. Khans getting trigger happy with signings and ita having a impact.

I dont think they needed henry, big show (although they dont wrestle) jeff hardy, christian or sting 

Youe not seeing stars like sami guerva, brian pillman jr or malaki bpack each week. 

AEW does have a bloated roster. That said I think some of that will solve itself as most of the talent signed in year one will not be offered a new deal, while those that Tony Khan likes enough to keep around will make up the new Ring of Honor roster.

I don't buy the idea that they're signing too many ex-WWE guys. I mean yes they're hiring ex-WWE guys, but unless you haven't been paying attention everyone is an ex-WWE guy. There is a reason WWE have released almost 250 wrestlers in the last 2 years alone. WWE pretty much hired the whole independent scene over the last 5 years. Yet despite that every current title holder in AEW hasn't been in WWE, while the majority of the AEW roster is also made up of people that haven't been in WWE. So yes Tony Khan is hiring more ex-WWE talent, largely because it's hard not to at this point, but none of those ex-WWE talent are in top roles right now. This is not a TNA/Impact type deal, at least not yet.

I do think AEW have an issue with not letting storylines go though. What storylines are going on right now?

• Adam Page vs Adam Cole which is mostly an Undisputed Elite title grab storyline right now. (I think that will transition after tonights episode of Rampage)
  • CM Punk climbing the rankings. He is on the path for the AEW Title, but needs wins to get there. (Basic storyline to keep him in a holding position while Page/Cole plays out)
  • MJF/Wardlow storyline with Wardlow trying to get out of his contract with MJF (This has been some of the best entertainment on Dynamite the past couple months, I can't wait for the eventual payoff)  
  • Blackpool Combat Club storyline with Moxley, Bryan, Regal and now Wheeler Yuta. (Fantastic storyline right now punctuated by incredible matches
  • Jade's unbeaten streak currently 29-0. That will likely be coming to a head at some point, will she make it 30-0? (Another basic storyline to get the TBS Title over. Hopefully whoever ends the streak is pushed to the moon)
  • Sammy Guevara and Tay Conti against American Top Team. This is a continuation of what Cody Rhodes/Brandi Rhodes was doing. (First real example of AEW not letting go. This should have ended when Cody Rhodes left)
  • Darby Allin vs Andrade featuring Andrade Family Office, The Hardys and Sting (This storyline will hopefully end next week, but it has dragged on for so many months at this point it's tiring)
  • House of Black storyline with Julia Hart (AEW needs to resume this as Julia Hart got the black mist like 4 months ago. I have heard of slow burn storylines, but she's been wearing that eye patch for months)
  • Jericho Appreciation Society vs Proud N' Powerful and Eddie Kingston (Basic storyline. I feel like AEW are dropping the ball on this one though as Jericho seems likely to win the feud)
  • Serena Deebs' blood feud with Hikaru Shida (This is one AEW should probably let go of soon, but the matches between those two are always great so I don't mind too much)

There are others that I'm forgetting. AEW do a great job of getting as many people as possible into storylines, I just wish they were better at dropping the storylines that don't work. 

In the end though I think AEW is in a good spot. Has the shine worn off a bit? Yes, but AEW is also 3 years old now with next month marking the 3rd anniversary of AEW's first PPV Double or Nothing. We're not in the honeymoon period anymore so some things are not going to be as exciting and that's something that will take getting used to. Is AEW still relatively high quality entertainment? Yes, especially if we compare it to WWE which is massively average right now, but I'm curious to see what AEW does going forward. That said I'm still enjoying it even if the novelty has worn off a bit.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

AEW should sign ex-WWE talent if its worth it.  But my excitement at hearing Cristian Cage had signed with TNA hasn't replicated when he signed for AEW.  Nor do I want to see Taz, Mark Henry, Sting, Big Show and The Hardys when AEW could be creating their own younger stars.  

For AEW's faults (and it's got 'em, absolutely, will get to that in a sec), I've really never gotten this "talent-bloat/too-much-ex-WWE/holding back young talent" take.  To take the guys you've listed as an example, three of 'em are on board as commentary that are mostly kept to the non-TV shows, Cage was a pretty decent marquee get for AEW at the time he came in (and put on two barnstormers with Kenny Omega, serving as a big puzzle piece of Kenny's belt collector storyline) and you can see where his tutelage has paid off with Jungle Boy whose character/promo work has notably improved, Sting again a huge name who is now getting the proper legends-type farewell run he should have gotten in his WWE stint (and Darby Allin's benefitting from the rub) and The Hardys are an absolute no-brainer given how much of an influence they were on The Young Bucks, who in all likelihood will ultimately be giving them a huge send-off match when that time eventually comes.

22 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Youe not seeing stars like sami guerva, brian pillman jr or malaki bpack each week. 

When Black's not wrestling, we're still getting near-weekly House Of Black promos and given the nature of the stable, personally I don't mind a less-is-more approach.  Have it mean something when they make an appearance.  For me, the only missteps with Black so far have been giving Cody his win back in their feud that really, Cody didn't particularly need and whatever the hell the thing they're doing with Julia Hart is, it's dragging on a bit too long.  I absolutely don't think Guevara or Pillman Jr are good examples of talent being held back, seeing as Guevara's certainly got his limitations (namely the combination of being a spot-monkey and a natural heel, this forced-face stuff is working against him big time) and is currently getting go-away heat for a garbage storyline (that sadly is looking like it's gonna drag Conti down with him, who was making waves as an underdog-face you could root for). As for Pillman Jr, he has about as much character as balsa wood and is absolutely someone they can and should cut from their plans when the time comes. Of the Blonds, Garrison's got more of the upside to him in my view.

What AEW is getting wrong for me, isn't the talent coming in but:

• the booking of the women's division; not enough TV time/storylines to make people care about anyone beyond the big names, arguably Baker's title reign ran a little long. And for the love of Maki Itoh, more joshis please.
  • Tony Khan needs to get his ass off Twitter or at least reign it in a bit, his reaction during Big Swole's departure was not a good look.
  • Dark/Dark Elevation are both too predictable; there needs to be some actual B-plot storylines to make the web shows more interesting.  Give me a reason to watch beyond Taz and Excalibur's Dark commentary (which is top notch, don't get me wrong), a reason to care who might win (no matter how minor) and not make it painstakingly obvious who is going over.  Not looking for War and Peace, just something fun along the lines of the Cutler/Avalon feud a ways back; entertaining, ultimately inconsequential to the main/TV stories but still something you can have some level of investment in.
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Daweii said:

AEW does have a bloated roster. That said I think some of that will solve itself as most of the talent signed in year one will not be offered a new deal, while those that Tony Khan likes enough to keep around will make up the new Ring of Honor roster.

I don't buy the idea that they're signing too many ex-WWE guys. I mean yes they're hiring ex-WWE guys, but unless you haven't been paying attention everyone is an ex-WWE guy. There is a reason WWE have released almost 250 wrestlers in the last 2 years alone. WWE pretty much hired the whole independent scene over the last 5 years. Yet despite that every current title holder in AEW hasn't been in WWE, while the majority of the AEW roster is also made up of people that haven't been in WWE. So yes Tony Khan is hiring more ex-WWE talent, largely because it's hard not to at this point, but none of those ex-WWE talent are in top roles right now. This is not a TNA/Impact type deal, at least not yet.

I do think AEW have an issue with not letting storylines go though. What storylines are going on right now?

• Adam Page vs Adam Cole which is mostly an Undisputed Elite title grab storyline right now. (I think that will transition after tonights episode of Rampage)
  • CM Punk climbing the rankings. He is on the path for the AEW Title, but needs wins to get there. (Basic storyline to keep him in a holding position while Page/Cole plays out)
  • MJF/Wardlow storyline with Wardlow trying to get out of his contract with MJF (This has been some of the best entertainment on Dynamite the past couple months, I can't wait for the eventual payoff)  
  • Blackpool Combat Club storyline with Moxley, Bryan, Regal and now Wheeler Yuta. (Fantastic storyline right now punctuated by incredible matches
  • Jade's unbeaten streak currently 29-0. That will likely be coming to a head at some point, will she make it 30-0? (Another basic storyline to get the TBS Title over. Hopefully whoever ends the streak is pushed to the moon)
  • Sammy Guevara and Tay Conti against American Top Team. This is a continuation of what Cody Rhodes/Brandi Rhodes was doing. (First real example of AEW not letting go. This should have ended when Cody Rhodes left)
  • Darby Allin vs Andrade featuring Andrade Family Office, The Hardys and Sting (This storyline will hopefully end next week, but it has dragged on for so many months at this point it's tiring)
  • House of Black storyline with Julia Hart (AEW needs to resume this as Julia Hart got the black mist like 4 months ago. I have heard of slow burn storylines, but she's been wearing that eye patch for months)
  • Jericho Appreciation Society vs Proud N' Powerful and Eddie Kingston (Basic storyline. I feel like AEW are dropping the ball on this one though as Jericho seems likely to win the feud)
  • Serena Deebs' blood feud with Hikaru Shida (This is one AEW should probably let go of soon, but the matches between those two are always great so I don't mind too much)

There are others that I'm forgetting. AEW do a great job of getting as many people as possible into storylines, I just wish they were better at dropping the storylines that don't work. 

In the end though I think AEW is in a good spot. Has the shine worn off a bit? Yes, but AEW is also 3 years old now with next month marking the 3rd anniversary of AEW's first PPV Double or Nothing. We're not in the honeymoon period anymore so some things are not going to be as exciting and that's something that will take getting used to. Is AEW still relatively high quality entertainment? Yes, especially if we compare it to WWE which is massively average right now, but I'm curious to see what AEW does going forward. That said I'm still enjoying it even if the novelty has worn off a bit.  

In the jade cargilI storyline actually  cannot believe they are oushing a no personality like marina who got no reaction in dynamite as opposed to ruby soho or toni storm.

• Like 1

They really need to get Mike Bailey in at some point, I've only been waiting 8 YEARS for him to make it big (in the west, he managed it to a degree in Japan), and his visa issues / American ban is sorted now. 

On 21/09/2014 at 20:55, hogso said:

Speedball Mike Bailey is going to be a star, you can't take your eyes off him when he's in the ring.

:D

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

In the jade cargilI storyline actually  cannot believe they are oushing a no personality like marina who got no reaction in dynamite as opposed to ruby soho or toni storm.

I really hope they hold off on Marina Shafir. I have enjoyed her work on AEW Dark, but her match on Dynamite wasn't a great showing.

Fortunately they haven't overdone it, they haven't made it 100% obvious that Marina is going to win so I hope they continue the streak. It makes no difference if someone beats Jade at 30-0, or 31-0, it's all the same thing so they can be patient with it. 

I'm all for Ruby Soho, or Toni Storm ending the streak. I'm even down for someone like Julia Hart to end the streak, especially if the House of Black storyline leads to a gothic cheerleader gimmick where she just squashes everyone. 

Edited by Daweii

15 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Tay Conti and Anna Jay at the moment.

No one will ever come close to prime Trish, Lita, Stacy though 

Who was not blonde French Canadian one years ago., Think she married a wrestler

Â