The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Rumours alot of aew stars are thinking of jumping ship to wwe after seeing how vince has pushed cody.

This is the biggest problem with aew they signing too many wrestlers and not everyone getting pushed.  Look at keith lee relegated to tag team competition 

I always wonder how accurate those rumours are. I can definitely see some wrestlers watching Cody in WWE closely, but I definitely think it's too soon for there to be talk of jumping ship, unless those talking about it are those that won't be in AEW's plans much longer. 

WWE signed Cody to push him like this, but we all know that unless you're Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns or Becky Lynch you're likely not going to be pushed constantly. The real test is how are WWE treating Cody in 12 months? Even AJ Styles was pushed huge when he first arrived, but now he's in constant mid-card feuds that don't matter. You have to go back to 2018 to find his last WWE Title run. 

As for talent like Keith Lee. It's hard to know what AEW's plans are for him because AEW rotate talent in and out between PPV cycles. Double or Nothing will have acted as mini-season finale with some wrestlers getting rotated out, and new stories starting. We'll have to see what happens there. 

I'd argue "relegated" to tag team competition is not something that particularly applies in AEW's case, as they're seemingly treating the tag belts with appropriate prestige, as opposed to Vince's well-documented disdain for tag team competition and de-valuing of the WWE tag division (to the point of people walking out).

7 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

I'd argue "relegated" to tag team competition is not something that particularly applies in AEW's case, as they're seemingly treating the tag belts with appropriate prestige, as opposed to Vince's well-documented disdain for tag team competition and de-valuing of the WWE tag division (to the point of people walking out).

Problem is there are too many tag teams in aew. If anything they need two sets of tag titles. 

The roster in aew is too inflated for the shows they have

23 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Rumours alot of aew stars are thinking of jumping ship to wwe after seeing how vince has pushed cody.

This is the biggest problem with aew they signing too many wrestlers and not everyone getting pushed.  Look at keith lee relegated to tag team competition 

Cody turned himself into something Vince could push. 

I can't see who on the AEW card would get the same push if they jumped ship. 

MJF would get watered down too much. Can't see Page getting anything good and Omega and the Bucks have already turned down the mega wwe money previously. 

6 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

MJF is gonna be one of the greatest of all time. 

context:

This was amazing. Very interested to see where it goes. 

I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for Punk. He looks way off it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

This was amazing. Very interested to see where it goes. 

I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for Punk. He looks way off it.

I’m wondering if we may see MJF go against the ex-WWE stars, beating them all one by one, before taking the gold from CM Punk at DON next year.

MJF is absolute fire. One of the best things about AEW, alongside Sammy Guevara, Darby Allin and Hook. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

I’m wondering if we may see MJF go against the ex-WWE stars, beating them all one by one, before taking the gold from CM Punk at DON next year.

MJF is absolute fire. One of the best things about AEW, alongside Sammy Guevara, Darby Allin and Hook. 

They should incorporate that into a storyline. Thats never been done. A original going after a ex-rivals stars that have signed with your company.

Start with the johnny elite, hardys, swerve, keith lee. Would be a epic storyline.

They should really give MJF either TNT or that crap one that ricki starks holds.

MJF is starting to get face chants now though so this could be a problem for him.

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

They should incorporate that into a storyline. Thats never been done. A original going after a ex-rivals stars that have signed with your company.

Start with the johnny elite, hardys, swerve, keith lee. Would be a epic storyline.

They should really give MJF either TNT or that crap one that ricki starks holds.

MJF is starting to get face chants now though so this could be a problem for him.

Yeah I’ve noticed the face cheers for MJF, and he has teased it too - that in ring promo with Punk where MJF said Punk had let him down and that’s why he is the way he is - wow. 

MJF is incredible. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I think he'll turn. A true AEW original taking down big money WWE signings. He might not go all the way face but he's going to be over massive. 

First of all the MJF pipebomb was incredible, and did exactly what a shoot promo should which is to get you thinking “wow was that real or a work” the biggest problem they have with him going up against his boss is Tony Kahn is awkward as heck , I suppose in the long run after Forbidden door they could turn Punk heel and get that Bischof/Hogan type relationship going , then have  MJF go over Punk for the title.

I love MJF. 

I assume that the pipe bomb means Tony Khan and MJF have worked something out behind the scenes and they're now doing a worked shoot, but that promo was everything it needed to be. 

5 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

Damn… AEW spoilers

Hide contents

Punk needs surgery and is relinquishing the title

Spoiler

Well technically he isnt as they said they are going to have a interim champion. This week on dynamite they having a battle royal where the winner challenges moxley for the interim title. Then once punks back have a undisputed title match. I have a feeling adam cole wins the battle royal and wins the interim title. Setting up a undisputed elite vs Blackpool kombat club feud until punks back

49 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:
  Hide contents

Well technically he isnt as they said they are going to have a interim champion. This week on dynamite they having a battle royal where the winner challenges moxley for the interim title. Then once punks back have a undisputed title match. I have a feeling adam cole wins the battle royal and wins the interim title. Setting up a undisputed elite vs Blackpool kombat club feud until punks back

Just saw that, was going by what was said on commentary last night. Interesting to see who gets it..

Just now, Dodgyknees said:

Just saw that, was going by what was said on commentary last night. Interesting to see who gets it..

I don't think they even had a clue tbf. Seemed abit confusing 

• Like 1

Interim title is absolutely (or at least should be) going to NJPW at Forbidden Door (presumably to Tanahashi as Punk's originally announced opponent).  It's a great excuse to get some whopper lineage on the title, plus the most must-see AEW ever got for me previously was Omega carting the title around other promotions, ending the first Forbidden Door on such a note seems like an open-goal.

Until they announced Hangman was fighting another match (i.e. presumably not in that Battle Royale), I would have thought it a great way to underscore his "relapse" by having him be the one to lose the title to NJPW; he gets a lifeline after losing the title to Punk, goes on to beat Moxley (for the first time, I think?) and feel like he's gaining all his self-belief back but then be the guy who lost the title to another promotion and *bam* Anxious Millenial Cowboy x 1000.

There's so many ways they could go if that interim title goes to NJPW; Jay White engineering a situation to get the strap on himself to tee up Bullet Club vs. Elite, KENTA getting the title down the road so he can finally get his hands on a returning CM Punk, Moxley and Ospreay...

Â