The VT Baby club

kimmie

I went part time when my daughter was born 2 years ago. Took 1 day off per week to look after her. My missus did the same, which covers 2 days of the childcare per week. Other 3 days is with childminder/grandparents.

It's hard work to keep a 2 year old amused all day on your jack jones.

Work is far easier. Plus I now have less money.

Things have definitely changed since my parents time in the 60s/70s. I don't think they could believe I was droping down to 4 days a week and my missus wasn't dropping to 3 instead. I think they saw/see it as 'wimmins work'. But she earns slightly more than me, so it made more financial sense too.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks all! I'm shattered already and they aren't even home yet lol

Well done lad,congratulations!Hopefully mine comes on time tomorrow.

Got my fingers crossed for you Rugeley! Good luck :)

• Like 1

Cheers dude. that first month is a killer, then it slowly gets easier.

Until they hit 2-2 1/2 years of age and then all hell breaks loose 

To be honest, that's my favourite age.  My son is 3 in a few weeks and this year has been an absolute pleasure. 

• Like 1

I don't know if I've had a fave bit so far, but it's interesting now mine are old enough for proper serious conversation the bits they remember as 'those' memories.

Apparently the best holiday we ever had was staying in Watermouth Castle - reason? We all had 4 poster beds and the loo had a giant high level cistern and a long chain you had to 'pull and run away'.Apparently they thought that was great, oh, and the fact that we could cook our own toast in the room. So best holiday was down to a chain pull flush and toast in the room.

Defining picture of dad? Running back and forth the allotment showering sparks across the dusk sky by waving a pitch fork of flaming dry grass around shouting 'aaaaargh'. So not all the presents, all the taxi rides, not getting them back stage access to Dr Who and not some serious investment in musical instruments or homework projects or working like a nutjob to get the only house in town with a big flat garden walking distance from the best school. No, it was my flaming pitchfork of doom dance.

Kids are totally and utterly brilliant, just remember to enjoy it all now, today, and not postpone the enjoyment too much, 'cos it ain't long and they're working in Next and getting home after you've gone to bed.

Staying in work all hours to get them a Florida holiday is not smarter than running around the garden with dry grass like a retarded viking.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 4

I don't think my kids will ever get a serious conversation out of me, my missus complains she never does so I can't see it being different with the kids. But then again it depends what scallie wag my daughter starts seeing.

Â