The VT Baby club

kimmie

Cheers all you wonderful people. Mum and baby are doing fine except for the cockface in the bay next to them who keeps shutting the **** door to the really hot room.

• 3 weeks later...

Spent 100 notes today on stuff for the baby girl that's on the way. Near enough sorted now, very nervous. Hope the dog is ok aswell when the baby arrives. She sleeps on the bed but that's going to stop once baby comes, at least for a bit anyway.

Had this debate with the missus about our hypothetical no existent baby, but if the mother is on maternity leave, surely she gets up in the night to feed it? (Bottle fed obviously).

Rules and systems don't work. You do whatever makes your life easy. If she's been awake all night regardless of her not having to go to work she will still feel like shit. So IMO it's a bit harsh for you to lie there zzzzzzing away.

If you're bottle feeding there is no excuse for you not to muck in...its a really good chance to bond to...even at 3am.

Yes (and never admit this to them) but being at home with a new born baby, especially the first is REALLY hard work. It would be really harsh to think that the mother is getting it cushy as she isn't at work.

Ours would get up every 3 hours so we'd feed at 9pm, go to bed. Then I'd get up for the first feed around midnight, then the missus would do the feed at around 3am. Then around 6am we'd both get up as I had work and the baby would be awake.

Worked well for us, we'd both do one shift during the night for a bout half an hour so it really wasn't so bad.

When it dropped to just 1 feed a night we'd do alternating nights.

Had this debate with the missus about our hypothetical no existent baby, but if the mother is on maternity leave, surely she gets up in the night to feed it?  (Bottle fed obviously).

Nah. The bloke gets a 'break' if he has a job to go to. The mother has the responsibilty for this child 24/7 under those rules.

Give her some help/take your share of the burden.

It's tiring for all concerned, and as others have said, there can't be rules as such like that. Help out where you can, especially if the other half is knackered. Also take account of their mental state, as having a baby can adversely affect that too. 

Edited by Jon

When we had our first I had two weeks off because I was on the books, I obviously shared the night feeds but when I started back to work I went self employed and did not help with the night feeds during the week but done them at the weekend. Those first two months were the most tired I'd ever been in my life. It did not help that I was on treatment for drug/alcohol abuse and lost three stone, also nearly developed an eating disorder from it. Once the baby got into a routine we shared night feeds during the weekend and on a saturday I'd get up in the morning with the little un and the sunday she would. Once this other baby comes in ten weeks I'll only be having a week off because I'm self employed and won't get any money for my time off, but I've agreed to help her through the week with the night feeds even when I'm back at work, until the baby is in a routine. Must agree with a previous poster who said the dads get a break from it when they go to work, because that's exactly what it is. Its a lot easier going out to work than it is staying at home looking after a baby or babys.

I think playing the "I'm a man, I work, I don't have to do night feeds or change nappies" card is a really good way of finding yourself single and only seeing your newborn child on alternating Saturdays.

I know a few guys who have had that kind of attitude and found themself kicked out in that first year of their child being born.

I admit I could not be a stay at home dad. Much easier to go out and work,even if your job is a graft. Times have changed my grandad never done a nappie in his life and he has 3 kids, he also was at work when his kids were born and only went home or to the hospital when his shift was finished. When they were younger he hardly saw them because he was at work when they got up and they were in bed by the time he got in from work. Saturdays he was home and away with the villa no matter what. Can't get away with that now, apart from if that's what your job requires.

Â