Dunne, better than Laursen?

PompeyVillan

Who's better?  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Who's better?

• Laursen
    • Dunne

Wasn't he injured for most of his time in Italy?
True, but I post regularly on a Milan forum and the only highlight they recall of his career is searching around the field for a contact lense. He was very, very bad at Milan, his wreckless style got punished severely over there.

Wasn't he injured for most of his time in Italy?
True, but I post regularly on a Milan forum and the only highlight they recall of his career is searching around the field for a contact lense. He was very, very bad at Milan, his wreckless style got punished severely over there.

Was he that injured bar his first season at Verona?

For the team I'd say Dunne, on of the huge problems we had when Laursen played was he was always made to play left centre half, as he was not natural on that side it did affect clearances, whereas with Dunne it's not an issue, he's comfortable on the ball! Laursen for me wins it, I remember the 3-2 against Everton last year, Young got the plaudits but I just remember Laursen making clearance after clearance, then when the equaliser went in he just dropped to the floor then a minute later he was celebrating! Both are very good defenders and I'm pretty sure McGrath is pleased that the calibre of players filling his shirt are top notch!

When Laursen was on form I truly believe he would walk into any team in the world.

Totally agree. Hmm, although you could just about say that of Richard Dunne as well :P

Couldn't walk into the AC Milan team could he???

Actually for most of his career I don't think he could walk at all :winkold:

Laursen for me. Was one of my favourite villa defenders of all time. As i never saw Mcgrath play everytime someone mentions him I just think of someone a wee bit better than Laursen. Dunne is still playing top drawer football ATM but lets see if he can keep it up after the fire from his man city fiasco has been quelled.

When Laursen was on form I truly believe he would walk into any team in the world.

Totally agree. Hmm, although you could just about say that of Richard Dunne as well :P

Couldn't walk into the AC Milan team could he???

Actually for most of his career I don't think he could walk at all :winkold:

Laursen for me. Was one of my favourite villa defenders of all time. As i never saw Mcgrath play everytime someone mentions him I just think of someone a wee bit better than Laursen. Dunne is still playing top drawer football ATM but lets see if he can keep it up after the fire from his man city fiasco has been quelled.

this poll is useless until we've seen Dunne in a Villa shirt for longer than 6 months....

Similar for me.

As I have not watched Laursen and Dunne every week throughout their careers, I can only vote on their performances in a Villa shirt. If I had to vote now, my answer would be Laursen. To date, Laursen has had the greater number of 'great' games compared to Dunne. However, Dunne has only been with us for 6 months of one season! As Dunne is only 30, I believe Dunne has the potential to surpass Laursen's Villa performances by the end of next season. I'll vote then. :winkold:

Laursen for myself, but as mentioned above, we should give Dunne more than a half year before doing polls like this.

One thing is for sure, Dunne is possibly the best bit of summer signing business for a long time.

Strange the way he came good again, and considering his replacements at City, I would expect the management to be pretty angry at Mark Hughes for that....

Laursen for myself, but as mentioned above, we should give Dunne more than a half year before doing polls like this.

One thing is for sure, Dunne is possibly the best bit of summer signing business for a long time.

Strange the way he came good again, and considering his replacements at City, I would expect the management to be pretty angry at Mark Hughes for that....

Why would they be angry at Mark Hughes? From bits and pieces I've seen, they wanted to sell Dunne anyway. Wasn't there a quote about Man City shirts with 'Dunne' on the back not selling in the far East? They needed someone more marketable.

Lescott................. :shock:

• 4 weeks later...

click

Sir Alex Ferguson has hailed Aston Villa defender Richard Dunne as the signing of the season.

The Manchester United boss will go head-to-head with the 30-year-old on Sunday in the Carling Cup final at Wembley.

The Republic of Ireland international, signed for £5million in the summer after being told he was surplus to requirements at Manchester City, has settled quickly into life at Villa Park in forming a formidable central defensive partnership with James Collins.

Martin O'Neill's men have the meanest defence in the Premier League this season and Ferguson acknowledges that Dunne's arrival has played a major part in the team's shut-out record this term.

"Martin has done a good job in a quiet way, without spending a great deal of money," he told the Daily Star.

"He has bought very wisely and signing Dunne, for me, is the buy of the season - £5million for him was outstanding business.

"Martin has done a terrific job with his players. They are a professional, organised team and have improved defensively with Dunne and James Collins."

click

Sir Alex Ferguson has hailed Aston Villa defender Richard Dunne as the signing of the season.

The Manchester United boss will go head-to-head with the 30-year-old on Sunday in the Carling Cup final at Wembley.

The Republic of Ireland international, signed for £5million in the summer after being told he was surplus to requirements at Manchester City, has settled quickly into life at Villa Park in forming a formidable central defensive partnership with James Collins.

Martin O'Neill's men have the meanest defence in the Premier League this season and Ferguson acknowledges that Dunne's arrival has played a major part in the team's shut-out record this term.

"Martin has done a good job in a quiet way, without spending a great deal of money," he told the Daily Star.

"He has bought very wisely and signing Dunne, for me, is the buy of the season - £5million for him was outstanding business.

"Martin has done a terrific job with his players. They are a professional, organised team and have improved defensively with Dunne and James Collins."

Completely agree with everything Ferguson says in the above article.

Dunne possibly had his poorest game for us yesterday but overall he has proved to be an excellent signing and a steal at 5mill.