Dunne, better than Laursen?

PompeyVillan

Who's better?  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Who's better?

• Laursen
    • Dunne

I'm sorry but there is absolutely no way on earth you can compare the two. Dunne is a very good defender and has done well for us. The other was the best defender in the league when he was fit. Laursen is the only world class player we've had since Mcgrath and I bet we won't have another player as good as him for the next 20 years. He really was that good.

Laursen was good enough for AC Milan (he didn't play much due to them having at the time the best defence in world football). They didn't want to let Laursen go - he left for first team opportunities. Please don't belittle a true legend by comparing him to a decent player. To say Dunne is better than Laursen is to say that Darren Beckford is better thamn Thierry Henry. I really, really despair that this topic is even been taken seriously.

Get a grip guys, Laursen was epic.

The other was the best defender in the league when he was fit. epic

Richard Dunne is the probably the best defender in the premiership this season. Ashley Cole may come close to him,that's all.Wouldnt be surprised if he got a nomination for player of the season.

Guaranteed to be named in the premiership team of the season.

I'm sorry but there is absolutely no way on earth you can compare the two. Dunne is a very good defender and has done well for us. The other was the best defender in the league when he was fit. Laursen is the only world class player we've had since Mcgrath and I bet we won't have another player as good as him for the next 20 years. He really was that good.

Laursen was good enough for AC Milan (he didn't play much due to them having at the time the best defence in world football). They didn't want to let Laursen go - he left for first team opportunities. Please don't belittle a true legend by comparing him to a decent player. To say Dunne is better than Laursen is to say that Darren Beckford is better thamn Thierry Henry. I really, really despair that this topic is even been taken seriously.

Get a grip guys, Laursen was epic.

Hardly.

Dunne is also brilliant and one of the best CB's in the Premiership and is part of the BEST defence in the Premiership at the moment.

You say it's an insult to Laursen then you call Richard Dunne a "decent player?"

He's far, far, far, far better than that and has been arguably and for me our player of the season.

Its been taken very seriously, look at the poll. Our team has improved quickly and we are going on current form. Its not a slant at Laursen but we didn`t have anywhere near the best defence in the league when he was here (I know we have a better GK and full backs now).

We took a team that was playing shit to 3rd in the league about 4 points off the top. Now we have a team playing reasonably well and look athreat going forward and where are we now? And how many points off the top?

As soon as Laursen got injured our season folded. We sank. Don't get me wrong I like Dunne he's great and has been fantastic this year - but as good as Laursen - never. He has proved to be a fantastic replacement for Laursen and fair play to MON for picking him up - an inspired signing. I too agree that Dunne has been up there with anyone this season - but if you take off the Claret and Blue glasses you'll see that Johnson of the Noses has easily had an equally if not better season than Dunne. This season Dunne & Johnson would probably be the stand out two for me. But I'd never dream of comparing either to Laursen. It's just not possible.

When Laursen was on form I truly believe he would walk into any team in the world.

We took a team that was playing shit to 3rd in the league about 4 points off the top. Now we have a team playing reasonably well and look athreat going forward and where are we now? And how many points off the top?

As soon as Laursen got injured our season folded. We sank.

We didn't actually, not straight away. I think player tiredness and lack of squad in the end hit our season aswell as a massive down in confidence following Stoke game.

Without Laursen,

Aston Villa 2-2 Arsenal

Hull City 0-1 Aston Villa

Sunderland 1-2 Aston Villa

Portsmouth 0-1 Aston Villa

Aston Villa 0-0 Wigan Athletic.

Blackburn 0-2 Aston Villa.

The losses didn't come all of a sudden in my opinion and although Laursen, we possibly would of been more successful, I don't think that was a sole or even key reason why we lost our way.

Our best run all season, 13 games unbeaten and Laursen played in just over half of them, so he possibly weren't as vital as we all said.

- but if you take off the Claret and Blue glasses you'll see that Johnson of the Noses has easily had an equally if not better season than Dunne.

Thats very harsh on Dunne, he is in a different league compared to Johnson

To correct you here. We had scored 36 goals from 23 games last year.

We've scored 31 goals from 23 this year.

So infact, going forward we've scored less goals.

Up until Laursen played:

We'd conceded 20 in 18. Compared to 18 in 23 now. So we're better defensively. (I'm not saying this has anything to do with who's better but correcting you more than anything)

Yes we were not far from top at one point. 51 points from 25 games I believe. However 6 games Laursen didn't play in, we took 14 points from a possible 18 which is a good return.

Fickle, inconstant, capricious, vacillating describe persons or things that are not firm or steady in affection, behavior, opinion, or loyalty. Fickle implies an underlying perversity as a cause for the lack of stability: the fickle seasons, disappointing as often as they delight; once lionized, now rejected by a fickle public. Inconstant suggests an innate disposition to change: an inconstant lover, flitting from affair to affair. Capricious implies unpredictable changeability arising from sudden whim: a capricious administration constantly and inexplicably changing its signals; a capricious and astounding reversal of position. Vacillating means changeable due to lack of resolution or firmness: an indecisive, vacillating leader, apparently incapable of a sustained course of action.

Eh?

Fickle?

I think Laursen was great, brilliant defender, I however think two things.

1. Him being injured leading to our downfall theory, not correct, it played a possible part, however there are so many other factors and we did have success without him too for a short while.

2. Not being as good as Dunne simply because they both defend like lions and only thing i'd go with is Dunne has the extra pace which means he can recover alot better if ever someone did get in behind and also he's calmer on the ball, when a ball is knocked over the defence, you know with Laursen he'd smash it out. Dunne gives me a heart-attack with his calmness but he hasn't made a mistake and it means we're retaining possesion.

Dunne the better allround player but Laursen had a majestic leap and probably the best defensive header of the ball seen for some time.

But, we have only seen 2/3 of the season from Dunne at Villa and not really seen much sign of the penalty-conceding, red card earning Dunne that had so many VTers wailing and gnashing teeth when we were first linked with him.

When, if ever, is the naughty Dunne going to rear his head?

Its amazing the effect a post title has on a discussion. The OP is pretty much what I was trying to say in the 'was Laursen really any good' thread - I just obviously worded it horribly wrong.

However

Anyone who has suggested that Laursen is better than Dunne, can be put in the same pigeon hole as those who think Emile Heskey is a mule..........

..... People who know absolutely nothing about football!!!!!

Richard Dunne is for me the 2n best CB in the league at the moment behind John Terry. I think Vidic, when playing and fit, is up there with Terry, but other than that I see no other prem league defenders in the same league.

Laursen, although good, was in the next bracket down for me, with your Vermaelens, Ferdinands, Gallas, Carvalho's etc.

I think you've got something else wrong- who suggested that Dunne wasn't In the top bracket of current prem defenders? Also what has the peoples opinion of Laursen got to do with Heskey? I dont really rate Heskey for a start. And you say that Dunnes the 2nd best CB at the moment (possibly true).What about his 9 years at city? where was he then.

Lets get something straight just because the noses current form has been decent their better than everybody else? Do me a favour. Or would you see if they can do it for a period of time that states its not just a flash in the pan or a team playing above themselves? Something Villa have also done in the past.

I think your horribly wrong in the common sense department. Possibly you pigeon-holed your own and forgot where you put it. But heh! its only an opinion!

First of all - I didnt claim that anybody had said Dunne wasn't in the top bracket of current defenders.

The peoples opinion of Heskey has nothing to do with Laursen. Im just used saying 'heskey is a mule' is of similar comparison to saying 'Laursen is better than Dunne' - There both completely wrong imo.

For his 9 years at City, Dunne was very good too. Just not in the limelight. You don't win 4 player of the year awards - on the bounce without being superb, no matter what premiership club you are at. Christ sake, Laursen couldn't even manage playing 4 seasons on the bounce without getting injured. Judging a players attributes isn't all down to skill and how much he loves villa!!

Not sure where the stuff about Birmingham has come from.

People don't want to hear a bad word about Laursen because he always gave his all, and he sadly got injured. It happens, Its football. But lets not pretend he was a world class defender. He never won anything. AC Milan won things (whilst he was there) but he never won anything.

And why could he not get into the Milan team, because they had world class defenders!!! hold on a minute though, people on here are saying Laursen was world class so surely he should have been able to break into the team??????????????

Or perhaps 'common sense' would say he wasn't world class.

For many reasons I loved Laursen and I am sure I was the first to say that we should go for him - more than a year before we did. I have followed Laursen the whole of his career and he was a brilliant player. World class? sorry but no. And Dunne is not world class either. But they are both very well suited for the English game. Dunne is better with the ball and Laursen was a slithly better attacker of the ball, but I think that we might see Dunne score a few more for Villa than he did for City. Dunne shades it for me since he is better alround, but it is a close call.

When Laursen was on form I truly believe he would walk into any team in the world.

Totally agree. Hmm, although you could just about say that of Richard Dunne as well :P

Couldn't walk into the AC Milan team could he???

Yes, Laursen's style of rushing out of the defencive line and winning headers doesn't go down so well in Italy.

Totally agree. Hmm, although you could just about say that of Richard Dunne as well :P

Couldn't walk into the AC Milan team could he???

Yes, Laursen's style of rushing out of the defencive line and winning headers doesn't go down so well in Italy.

Caused more problems than you think for us

Laursen was good enough for AC Milan (he didn't play much due to them having at the time the best defence in world football).

Actually, he didn't play much because when he did play he was utterly, utterly shite.

A different player at Villa - Yes. But don't try glorify his Milan career, it was poor at best.