Dunne, better than Laursen?

PompeyVillan

Who's better?  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Who's better?

• Laursen
    • Dunne

I think Laursen at his best was exceptional and had more natural "talent" than Dunne, but we got what, about a season and a half out of him in 5 years. Dunne has that ability to win the ball come what may, so I'd have to say that as we'll (hopefull) get several years out of Dunne, he'll be the more useful player of the two. In other words, Dunne is probably 90% of the player Laursen was, but I'd rather have the 90% for four years, than the hundred percent for 18 months, if that makes sense.
This.

I've noticed one or two slight problems with Dunne, he's not the most agile of defenders and he doesn't have a leap anything like Laursens, that said, he's a very, very good defender.

Imagine if we had both - we'd never lose!

That doesn't always work.

In theory yes, in practice no.

too many players the same, no matter how good, don't work in a team.

I think its very close but would be Dunne just for me. Not to say Laursen wasnt brilliant as well and deserves a lot of credit as he made our defence look very good when surrounded by averageness like Carson, Knight, Davies and a learning Cuellar

I've gone for Laursen for his ability in the opposition penalty area. Dunne is a quality defender and a great organiser but Laursen gets it for me.

Dunne's pretty handy up front as well though to be fair. He has 3 league goals this season, as many as Ashley Young, only one less than Milner and Carew, and one more than Heskey!

Richard Dunne my lord. Edges player of the season so far for us imo. He's been quality, completely reliable, a leader, has blocked more goalbound shots than anyone since McGrath, scores a few , has lots of pace, strong as an ox .......

Liverpool game, very lucky not to give away a penalty; very clumsy tackle.

Richard Dunne has always had that about him though, little moments of madness.. I'd still much rather have him than any other centre half in the league right now though. I just don't think we're going to continue seeing this flawless beast we currently have. He will make one or two mistakes which will cost us points.

As oppose to Zat Knight, who made a mistake every bloody time to cost us points.

That's one to be fair and Laursen made mistakes in his time, not many but one mistake in 23 is hardly bad.

Add the one against Wolves as well :winkold:

Seriously Dunne is some player and a great signing.

Dunne is good, but Laursen edges it for me. You have to remember how long he was out of the game, but still became a hero. Dunne was cheap, and he is having the season of his life. I can't imagine Mark Hughes anticipating Dunne being this good. Maybe that's the difference between a good manager and a great like MON!

Oh, it has to be Dunney for me. I loved Laursen, but Dunne is fast becoming my favourite Villa player of recent years. He can run, he can read the game, he can win a header, he throws himself at everything in the box - and what gives him the edge over Laursen is that he can really play football.

Plus, he's Irish. That's an extra ten points from me any time.

Dunne. (without implying that Laursen was anything short of brilliant)

Laursen wins it in the air,

Dunne edges it with the ball on the ground,

Dunne also edges it with throwing his body recklessly into blocks,

Dunne is noticeably better at distributing the ball (although Collins long distributions are amazing)

In the attack both are good, Laursen again more deadly in the air, but Dunne makes wonderful attacking runs at times other than set pieces.