Dunne, better than Laursen?

PompeyVillan

Who's better?  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Who's better?

• Laursen
    • Dunne

I'm not voting. They're both top draw defenders IMHO. Laursen came to Villa with a decent reputation as a top class defender who had played at the highest level. For us he was immense and scored goals, when he got fit.

Whereas Dunne has exceeded all of my expectations, he's been absolutely brilliant.

I will hold my vote for a little longer... if Dunne can continue this form throughout the whole season then I think he will just shade it as he has been a collosus, and our defensive record is in large down to him, and his organisation of the whole defence. Time will tell whether he can maintain this form for the rest of the season and beyond. I'm hoping he does because he is my favourite player at the minute!!

I have to gve Dunne at least one more season before I can vote in a poll like this one. He's been great so far, but it's still only half a season for him here so far. Not enough for me to vote. I'm delighted he's doing this good so far. He's competing with Milner for POS atm for me.

Dunne isnt far behind him though, he's really excellent. As is Collins. And Cuellar. Davies isnt bad either. :D
I dunno about Cuellar. He's good but he seems to give the ball away in dangerous positions a lot. Still, this doesn't take away from the fact that he's saved us from conceding a lot of goals.

Different CB's but Laursen just shades it for me. Difference being that Laursen excelled everywhere, even in a defence that wasn't of the quality it is now. Time after time he raised the game of everyone around him. Possibly the most influential player at the Villa during his time and maybe during the last decade. At least the best reader of a game at the back for a long time, maybe since a certain Lord P Mcgrath, and I think we only saw glimpses of his class due to injury. I don't doubt for one minute that if he hadn't had the first main injury while at Milan they may never of let him go and we may never have seen him play for the Villa. World Class.

As for Dunne equally as magnificent in many ways, completely blood and thunder but like I said previous I believe he has had the help of two quality CB's helping him this season. Where as previous with Man C although he was quality there were many groans about his ability, His disciplinary record was shit also. My belief- the rest of the defence were crap and he couldn't excel not in the way he can now.

I do however believe we will in the long run get more from Dunne than Laursen. He has imo been awesome for us this season and improving, showing how good he can be in the right surroundings and long may it continue. Only time will tell if he's in Laursen's league for me.

Laursen. Dunne is fantastic, but for me Laursen had something very special, and in the end Aston Villa became HIS club. As good as Dunne is, he's still getting used to the idea of being a Villa player.

just your OPINION, nothing to sugges that nothing. just saying it for the sake of saying something. theres nothing to suggest this AT all. and you know it.

Yes, you're right. That is just my opinion. This IS a thread for stating opinions, isn't it?

avfc1982 pretty much said what I think in his post above, only better than I said it:

Different CB's but Laursen just shades it for me. Difference being that Laursen excelled everywhere, even in a defence that wasn't of the quality it is now. Time after time he raised the game of everyone around him. Possibly the most influential player at the Villa during his time and maybe during the last decade. At least the best reader of a game at the back for a long time, maybe since a certain Lord P Mcgrath, and I think we only saw glimpses of his class due to injury. I don't doubt for one minute that if he hadn't had the first main injury while at Milan they may never of let him go and we may never have seen him play for the Villa. World Class.

As for Dunne equally as magnificent in many ways, completely blood and thunder but like I said previous I believe he has had the help of two quality CB's helping him this season. Where as previous with Man C although he was quality there were many groans about his ability, His disciplinary record was shit also. My belief- the rest of the defence were crap and he couldn't excel not in the way he can now.

I do however believe we will in the long run get more from Dunne than Laursen. He has imo been awesome for us this season and improving, showing how good he can be in the right surroundings and long may it continue. Only time will tell if he's in Laursen's league for me.

Its amazing the effect a post title has on a discussion. The OP is pretty much what I was trying to say in the 'was Laursen really any good' thread - I just obviously worded it horribly wrong.

However

Anyone who has suggested that Laursen is better than Dunne, can be put in the same pigeon hole as those who think Emile Heskey is a mule..........

..... People who know absolutely nothing about football!!!!!

Richard Dunne is for me the 2nd best CB in the league at the moment behind John Terry. I think Vidic, when playing and fit, is up there with Terry, but other than that I see no other prem league defenders in the same league.

Laursen, although good, was in the next bracket down for me, with your Vermaelens, Ferdinands, Gallas, Carvalho's etc.

Laursen shades it for me. At his best he was world class and the quality of his aggressive style of attacking the ball early is unmatched in any defender i've seen.

Dunne isnt far behind him though, he's really excellent. As is Collins. And Cuellar. Davies isnt bad either. :D

Both are very good centre backs who attack the aerial ball and both have exceptional leadership qualities.

Laursen was a little more dangerous when attacking at set pieces, although Dunne is very composed on the ball and is quicker than you think

Its amazing the effect a post title has on a discussion. The OP is pretty much what I was trying to say in the 'was Laursen really any good' thread - I just obviously worded it horribly wrong.

However

Anyone who has suggested that Laursen is better than Dunne, can be put in the same pigeon hole as those who think Emile Heskey is a mule..........

..... People who know absolutely nothing about football!!!!!

Richard Dunne is for me the 2nd best CB in the league at the moment behind John Terry. I think Vidic, when playing and fit, is up there with Terry, but other than that I see no other prem league defenders in the same league.

Laursen, although good, was in the next bracket down for me, with your Vermaelens, Ferdinands, Gallas, Carvalho's etc.

I think you've got something else wrong- who suggested that Dunne wasn't In the top bracket of current prem defenders? Also what has the peoples opinion of Laursen got to do with Heskey? I dont really rate Heskey for a start. And you say that Dunnes the 2nd best CB at the moment (possibly true).What about his 9 years at city? where was he then.

Lets get something straight just because the noses current form has been decent their better than everybody else? Do me a favour. Or would you see if they can do it for a period of time that states its not just a flash in the pan or a team playing above themselves? Something Villa have also done in the past.

I think your horribly wrong in the common sense department. Possibly you pigeon-holed your own and forgot where you put it. But heh! its only an opinion!

Dunne has played just over half a season for us and he's been very good but that is nowhere near enough to say that he's better than Laursen at this stage of his villa career. I think there a quite a few Irish votes being swung in his favour to skew the stats here. Of course it has to be Laursen at this point but we don't know how consistently good Dunne will be. This is the sort of question to ask in a years time.

Difference being that Laursen excelled everywhere, even in a defence that wasn't of the quality it is now.

Dunne excelled in some truly woeful Man City teams.

I was a little bit concerned by the signing of Richard Dunne at first, but he has a great season, cheers Man City you have taken Garet "no hoper money grabber" Barry off us and given us a great center back, you can keep those donkeys Lescott and Toure, what a joke, £20 million for Lescott, ha, ha you know what they say, a fool and his money are soon parted, Wem-ber-ley, Wem-ber-ley, Wem-ber-ley

Another Irish vote =p

I don't know why people were slagging him off when he signed, he's always been a great defender. I think he had a bit of a reputation for red cards and own goals before he came. But he'll throw himself in front of anything which is where alot of his own goals for City came from. Also there was one season with city around 2 years ago where his fitness was slightly in question but he's sorted that now.

He's the signing of the season so far by a mile for any team if you ask me (best defense) and if he stays fit he'll be our new McGrath ;)

Difference being that Laursen excelled everywhere, even in a defence that wasn't of the quality it is now.

Dunne excelled in some truly woeful Man City teams.

Totally agree. Not disputing that. I've seen him play before coming to Villa and he was quality then. But I've seen enough manc fans slag him loads at times. I really believe he has moved up a gear since joining us and I hope he continues to. He's definitely made a believer out of me.

When laursen was at his best he is better than dunne..but Dunne is not far from that on current form..when we lost laursen i thought he would be impossible the replace without spending £20M on a CB...i was very sceptical when we signed Dunne and i thought he would be nowhere near laursens class..How wrong i was.

Totally agree didnt think we find a cb to fill laursens boots for less than funny money and to be honest MON dont seem to go that route so signing dunne was genius

When laursen was at his best he is better than dunne..but Dunne is not far from that on current form..when we lost laursen i thought he would be impossible the replace without spending £20M on a CB...i was very sceptical when we signed Dunne and i thought he would be nowhere near laursens class..How wrong i was.