Dunne, better than Laursen?

PompeyVillan

Who's better?  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Who's better?

• Laursen
    • Dunne

It's difficult to compare because Laursen played in a much weaker back 4 than Dunne. We look a lot more solid now, but I think thats because Cuellar has improved hugely and we have strength in depth at the back now too.

Could it be that Dunne better suits Cuellar's style of play, thus causing Cuellar's improvement, though? I'm not enough of a football expert to support or debunk that notion, but it's plausible, especially since we've seen posts in this thread along the lines of "Dunne improves the players around him."

I'm guessing that anyone who would have suggested this when Dunne was at City and Laursen was playing for us would have received a very lively response.

He's been better than I expected him to be, much better.

Interesting comment there, and very apt,quite a close admission to the existence of the "rose tint " brigade.

At the same time, how much experience would most Villa fans have had of Dunne a year ago? Most of the time when one sees a defender singled out on MOTD or whatever, it's not for some bit of great play.

Laursen for me - for now. He has produced consistently (though not often enough because of injury) for Villa over 5 years, and Dunne hasn't been here for one season yet. I can't judge anybody on around 20 games, but if Dunne keeps playing the way that he is for another season or two then he'll definitely become a legend in the style of Martin Laursen.

But, is he likely to be up there with Paul McGrath? No, not for me. as much as "Richard Dunne, my Lord" fits in as another verse to the "Paul McGrath my Lord"/"It's your round my Lord"/etc song - and so it should do, to demonstrate our admiration - he will never have that something extra that McGrath did. That perception that let him know where the ball was going to be played before the opposition striker had decided to play it there, or the flair of a midfield maestro to calm a dangerous attack. Paolo Maldini had that as well. Never mind wondering about having Dunne and Laursen togethef, imagine having Dunne or Laursen alongside McGrath!

So, for me it's too early to judge Dunne against Laursen, and in time I think the fact that Dunne will play many more games will make him more valued. Ironically that will make Laursen more of a legend (think about how Luc Nilis is held in high esteem!). But however they are compared, I think that they will always be competing for a place on a short-list for the next-best centre-back to take a place alongside McGrath on Villa's best ever XI

Been delighted with Dunne and I was one of the few on here who were actually happy when we signed him.

Having said that, it's going to take more than 4 months of solid performances by Dunne to convince me he's an improvement on Laursen.

Laursen gets my vote, but ask me again in 3 years and I may change my mind.

Laursen. Dunn is fantastic, but for me Laursen had something very special, and in the end Aston Villa became HIS club. As good as Dunn is, he's still getting used to the idea of being a Villa player.

just your OPINION, nothing to sugges that nothing. just saying it for the sake of saying something. theres nothing to suggest this AT all. and you know it.

Laursen. Dunn is fantastic, but for me Laursen had something very special, and in the end Aston Villa became HIS club. As good as Dunn is, he's still getting used to the idea of being a Villa player.

just your OPINION, nothing to sugges that nothing. just saying it for the sake of saying something. theres nothing to suggest this AT all. and you know it.

Hence why it is an opinion. Why should there be the need to put 'IMO' at the end of everything?

Dunne purely because of Laursen's injury record.

I think Laursen would still shine in a poor defence. I think back to his performance in the 3-2 win at Goodison where his commitment to the cause kept us in the game.

Dunne seems to be playing on another level at Villa. I've seen him play well for The Republic and Man City but never this well.

I've declined to vote, and it's been said already, but imagine this poll on Sept 1st!

Dunne had come through a very poor season at City, was effectively being kicked out while Laursen the hero had been forced to retire just months before.

Why does that matter though?

Well we all knew we needed a player to replace Laursen and when Dunne was signed as that player some were positive, some were ambivalent and some were against it. It's a very good thing for everyone that the expectations have been met, surpassed or blown away.

I think Laursen was better but unfortunately his injuries got the better of him throughout his career even when he played in Italy. Therefore I think Richard Dunne will be a lot more useful to Villa as we should get a lot more out him (touch wood).

Defensive record this season proves we have made progress, Dunne is definitely one of the reasons for this.