Dunne, better than Laursen?

PompeyVillan

Who's better?  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Who's better?

• Laursen
    • Dunne

I've been thinking it for a while, but due to the legend surrounding Laursen have not made a great fuss of my view.

However, I can't hold it in any more. After being more than skeptical when he was signed, I've been delighted at the level of his performance and commitment this season. He's been central to every single result we've achieved this season.

Perhaps it's difficult to judge who is/was the better defender, because Dunne undoubtedly plays in a better defense than Laursen did and they're very similar players. Personally I feel Dunne has not only replaced Laursen but improved on him.

Views?

dunne always was better than laursen. he was always one of the best center backs in the league, by quite some distance

its a shame the guff some of the irish lads had to put up with on here for saying it before we signed him, and it shows how blinkered fans can be sometimes

Just to clarify Pete, I'm only really interested in their performances and form for Villa. I don't think Dunne has 'always' been better, but his performances and constancy this season have eclipsed that of Laursen in previous seasons for Villa.

Heck, Dunne has been the best CB in the league this season.

Let's be honest. Who here wanted Hangeland and was dissapointed signing Dunne?

I wasn't. I didn't want us to sign Dunne or Hangeland so I was wrong on one part, but there was so many comments about Hangeland should of been signed.

Dunne is unreal. He also has extra pace which makes him better than Laursen for me.

I think he's a better defender all round, mainly because he's got more about him.

Then again, I never did think Laursen was on the legend end of the scale, I thought he was bloody good, excellent in fact, but not as flawless as everyone else seemed to.

Both strong, great in the air, committed, put their bodies on the line, blocking, tackling etc....

The edge to one of them as far I can see is....

If Laursen tracked a man out to the wings, he could get done. If Dunne tracks out to the wing, he generally outpaces the player and takes the ball.

I'm guessing that anyone who would have suggested this when Dunne was at City and Laursen was playing for us would have received a very lively response.

Nah, it was rather civil.

Dunne for me, not much between them in defending but he's more comfortable on the ball.

He should be in the premier league XI this season.

I'm guessing that anyone who would have suggested this when Dunne was at City and Laursen was playing for us would have received a very lively response.

Nah, it was rather civil.

Dunne for me, not much between them in defending but he's more comfortable on the ball.

He should be in the premier league XI this season.

This for me. I think Laursen was a better player with the right partner BUT I think Dunne can play alongside anybody. The two together would have been fanstastic.

When Dunne was at City alot on here were going tits when we were being linked with him. Slow, fat, tends to throw himself into tackles and gets sent off. Oh and now look, we love him more than 'God junior' or 'Jesus'. I voted Laursen and would have him back within a flash if it weren't for his bloody knee. That guys head was a rock, he also scored many (vital) goals. Not slating Dunne btw, good defender!