The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

11 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

This Josh Kelly looks good.

Needs to fight a live body. Weird how he pulled out of the avanesyan fight after the weigh in last year. Needs to fight him to see where he's at. I'm never sold on Booth's fighters. He gets them all fighting the same rather than a more individualised approach. They load up a lot, every shot trying to take a guys head off and defence is leaky when they step up.

• Like 1

Embarrassing fight by Khan and not the low blow which may well have been very nasty. What exactly was his game plan there, no speed whatsoever and still carried absolutely no power. He is beyond shot and wouldn’t get past 6 rounds with Brook anymore on his last few showings, such a shame it’s come to that.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Embarrassing fight by Khan and not the low blow which may well have been very nasty. What exactly was his game plan there, no speed whatsoever and still carried absolutely no power. He is beyond shot and wouldn’t get past 6 rounds with Brook anymore on his last few showings, such a shame it’s come to that.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

In fairness to Khan it was a total mismatch, it was a ridiculous fight to stage. I actually thought Khan did well to survive the first round he tried to make a contest of it with a few decent combos but he's simply not in the same league as Crawford. 

While it made for a poor spectacle with the low blow ending the fight I actually thought it was the humane call from Virgil Hunter, Khan couldn't win that fight and was taking a lot of heavy shots. 

1 hour ago, kiltorken said:

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

In fairness to Khan it was a total mismatch, it was a ridiculous fight to stage. I actually thought Khan did well to survive the first round he tried to make a contest of it with a few decent combos but he's simply not in the same league as Crawford. 

While it made for a poor spectacle with the low blow ending the fight I actually thought it was the humane call from Virgil Hunter, Khan couldn't win that fight and was taking a lot of heavy shots. 

Khan quit for me. It was a complete mismatch and went exactly how I felt it would. Crawford totally outclassed him. 

Khans value is dropping significantly and I now see why he won't fight Brook. Brook would obliterate him. 

As for crawford well I think he is the second best at welterweight behind spence so that's the fight I want to see. For me he beats thurman porter and garcia. 

Am though I think he will fight pacman next and that's a easy win for crawford as oacman is way past his best. 

Khan looked shot from the first bell, I guess the Sammy Vargas fight was a true barometer as to where he is. Khan looked old and his hands a lot slower, he was definitely about to get knocked out and decided to quit rather than go out on a stretcher, definitely needs to retire, he's a shot fighter.

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

As for crawford well I think he is the second best at welterweight behind spence so that's the fight I want to see. For me he beats thurman porter and garcia. 

I have it the other way personally, I think Crawford beats Spence but we won't know until they actually fight I suppose. Definitely both top 5 lb for lb fighters. 

I really hope they make that fight next year, although knowing boxing they probably won't. 

Just now, kiltorken said:

I have it the other way personally, I think Crawford beats Spence but we won't know until they actually fight I suppose. Definitely both top 5 lb for lb fighters. 

I really hope they make that fight next year, although knowing boxing they probably won't. 

You think so? I think spence is big very big and he can hit. Crawford is showing for a small guy he can hit hard as well. It's one of the biggest fights I want to see. 

I do think spence size will be a problem for crawford tbh. 

By the way on a side note I've heard that AJs next opponent is Michael hunter from my mate who is mates with AJ as they trained at fincherly together. 

What a shit fight.  uysk destroyed him so imagine what AJ will do tk him. They sought out ortiz but ortiz wouldn't take the fight as hd didn't have enough preparation time so hunters been given a shot. 

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You think so? I think spence is big very big and he can hit. Crawford is showing for a small guy he can hit hard as well. It's one of the biggest fights I want to see. 

I do think spence size will be a problem for crawford tbh. 

Spence definitely has a distinct size and reach advantage which gives him an upper hand but I honestly think Crawfords superior technical ability and boxing iq would see him win. 

I wouldn't be putting my life saving on it though! 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

By the way on a side note I've heard that AJs next opponent is Michael hunter from my mate who is mates with AJ as they trained at fincherly together. 

What a shit fight.  uysk destroyed him so imagine what AJ will do tk him. They sought out ortiz but ortiz wouldn't take the fight as hd didn't have enough preparation time so hunters been given a shot. 

Absolute cop out from Ortiz if true. 6 weeks is loads of time. I said a few days ago i thought Oscar Rivas should get it. He's now confirmed to fight dillian whyte. AJ must be getting a bit pissed off at Hearn now. Couldn't deliver him a promised stadium fight in April. Hasn't been able to get him Wilder. And now he has no opponent for his US debut .It probably will be Hunter. On a side note it's worrying how many PPV'S Hearn is putting on lately. Whyte-Ortiz is confirmed for SBoxoffice.  Remember when absolute elite fighters used to headline PPV. The trouble now is the fighters purses are becoming astronomical. The licence fee from sky can't cover it like it would of for the fighters last night so ppv money needs to be generated to pay them. Hearn admitted on line that he is struggling to get a fight for Callum Smith right now . He made huge money from that tournament he was in so he is going to want to earn money like that again. So does he become a ppv fighter now ? Ultimately, the fans are screwed.

2 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Absolute cop out from Ortiz if true. 6 weeks is loads of time. I said a few days ago i thought Oscar Rivas should get it. He's now confirmed to fight dillian whyte. AJ must be getting a bit pissed off at Hearn now. Couldn't deliver him a promised stadium fight in April. Hasn't been able to get him Wilder. And now he has no opponent for his US debut .It probably will be Hunter. On a side note it's worrying how many PPV'S Hearn is putting on lately. Whyte-Ortiz is confirmed for SBoxoffice.  Remember when absolute elite fighters used to headline PPV. The trouble now is the fighters purses are becoming astronomical. The licence fee from sky can't cover it like it would of for the fighters last night so ppv money needs to be generated to pay them. Hearn admitted on line that he is struggling to get a fight for Callum Smith right now . He made huge money from that tournament he was in so he is going to want to earn money like that again. So does he become a ppv fighter now ? Ultimately, the fans are screwed.

Hearn is a muppet. This will be a massive flop of a. Fight. This will be up the ewith the molina fight that no one cared about as its a easy aj fight. 

You raise some really good points about the money situation it's getting stupid. I mean j don't think the whyte fight will do well on ppv either. Its very farcical. 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Hearn is a muppet. This will be a massive flop of a. Fight. This will be up the ewith the molina fight that no one cared about as its a easy aj fight. 

You raise some really good points about the money situation it's getting stupid. I mean j don't think the whyte fight will do well on ppv either. Its very farcical. 

He'll probably stack the card with decent fights but the main event is not a PPV fight. Hearn's pursuit of global domination is making him take his eye off the ball in the market that made him. He's a hungry prick.

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I guess they had to quickly draw up a list of 'useless yanks' and out came Hunter. Incidentally he did quite well in the Usyk fight but he certainly has no business at heavyweight, dead man walking.

It's amazing really and quite a feat that Khan has achieved so much without ever really having the basics tied down such as not reaching and keeping his chin tucked in. For all his amateur success it's sad that he's never been taught a proper step jab where he slides with it, feet underneath him. One of many flaws he has that's never been ironed out. He throws punches from way too far out.  His head always comes over his front foot and more often than not he gets clipped then. Crawford's ring IQ so much higher than Khan's. Just little things like understanding how to crouch on the inside and tucking the chin in. Great athlete Khan. Poor boxer.

Edited by Johnnyp
Mistake

Joshua is either being brilliantly or terribly managed, depending on how good he is. 

If he's good, it's criminal that he fights against fighters of the level that he ends up in the ring with and how infrequently he's in there.

If he's not, it's a work of genius that he's managed to get to where he is and stay there for so long as a fraud.

Whichever, his schedule is not going to make him any better as a fighter. It's a shame.

Â