The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Forgot to post prior to this fight. Really didn't understand anyone who backed Garcia. Garcia is good, but overrated, he has never fought an A class fighter before, despite all his 'titles' in various divisions. On top of that he's just too damn small for Spence. The only thing that surprised me was that Spence didn't take Garcia out inside 8 rounds, that said, Garcia became extremely negative as soon as he got touched. Spence is a top drawer fighter but I really want him to fight proper welterweights, his career hasn't progressed at all since he dismantled Brook.

Has to be said, what I liked most about last night was that Spence just outboxed him and exploded the myth that Garcia is some sort of master boxer.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

20 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Forgot to post prior to this fight. Really didn't understand anyone who backed Garcia. Garcia is good, but overrated, he has never fought an A class fighter before, despite all his 'titles' in various divisions. On top of that he's just too damn small for Spence. The only thing that surprised me was that Spence didn't take Garcia out inside 8 rounds, that said, Garcia became extremely negative as soon as he got touched. Spence is a top drawer fighter but I really want him to fight proper welterweights, his career hasn't progressed at all since he dismantled Brook.

Has to be said, what I liked most about last night was that Spence just outboxed him and exploded the myth that Garcia is some sort of master boxer.

Was a lame fight really. Went exactly as I expected garcia far too small to do anything. Spence not knocking him out was only surprise for me. 

I agree he has fought no one since. Now talking about fighting a 40 year old pacman. No one wants to see that either. 

How about going after canelo spence instead of going for this lame fights?

8 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'll put my hands up. Had Spence winning going in but i thought it would be much more competitive . I dont agree with you that Garcia is overrated. Wins over Easter, Broner, Salido, Lipinets whilst not stellar are not nothing either. With the benefit of hindsight, Garcia didn't get to show how good of a boxer he is because of the disparity in size and reach. Makes me think would Spence-Crawford be as evenly matched as it looks given the fact many wouldn't consider Crawford even a true proper welterweight. I'd like to see Spence fight Danny Garcia next.  Decent fight that. Easy to make. Same promoter etc. 

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

I'll put my hands up. Had Spence winning going in but i thought it would be much more competitive . I dont agree with you that Garcia is overrated. Wins over Easter, Broner, Salido, Lipinets whilst not stellar are not nothing either. With the benefit of hindsight, Garcia didn't get to show how good of a boxer he is because of the disparity in size and reach. Makes me think would Spence-Crawford be as evenly matched as it looks given the fact many wouldn't consider Crawford even a true proper welterweight. I'd like to see Spence fight Danny Garcia next.  Decent fight that. Easy to make. Same promoter etc. 

Spence IMO would annihilate Garcia and stop him, it would be like last night, Danny getting beaten up, not having any answers back, but he'd be less negative than Garcia and stand around more to get beat up even more,

Crawford is a good fight but I see Spence winning. Spence for me is by far the very best welterweight out there and he'll have to move up at least one weight class to get more challenges. RE Mikey Garcia, he's overrated as people talk him up as an elite fighter but has never fought anyone even B+ class, let alone an A class fighter and the names you list just serve to emphasise that. He's a talented boxer with a lot of ability but is only a four weight champion because there's so many paper titles out there. It's also clear to me that he isn't that good of an adjuster, he wants things perfect before he throws, i.e. perfect distance and a good read on his opponent. That's why he has always been a low volume but accurate puncher. Last night Spence gave him so many different angles and rhythms that he simply had no clue what to do, totally schooled.

Lomachenko is the only other credible fight out there for Mikey and whilst with his power and accuracy at that weight he has a punchers chance I'd expect Loma to embarrass him for the most part.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

22 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Spence IMO would annihilate Garcia and stop him, it would be like last night, Danny getting beaten up, not having any answers back, but he'd be less negative than Garcia and stand around more to get beat up even more,

Crawford is a good fight but I see Spence winning. Spence for me is by far the very best welterweight out there and he'll have to move up at least one weight class to get more challenges. RE Mikey Garcia, he's overrated as people talk him up as an elite fighter but has never fought anyone even B+ class, let alone an A class fighter and the names you list just serve to emphasise that. He's a talented boxer with a lot of ability but is only a four weight champion because there's so many paper titles out there. It's also clear to me that he isn't that good of an adjuster, he wants things perfect before he throws, i.e. perfect distance and a good read on his opponent. That's why he has always been a low volume but accurate puncher. Last night Spence gave him so many different angles and rhythms that he simply had no clue what to do, totally schooled.

Lomachenko is the only other credible fight out there for Mikey and whilst with his power and accuracy at that weight he has a punchers chance I'd expect Loma to embarrass him for the most part.

I want to see him fight crawford I've been hyping that fight for a while. I know you think. Spence wins comfortably as you don't really rate crawford but it won't be as easy fight for spence. Brook caused spence a lot of problems and I think crawford is a much better boxer and for his size does have considerable power. Garcia was too small we all knew that but crawford is a lot bigger. Spence didn't really hurt garcia as bad as I thought he would. 

I would like to see canelo vs spence if he gets past crawford. That's a fight that I think would be brilliant to watch.. Even triple g vs spence would be a good bout. 

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I want to see him fight crawford I've been hyping that fight for a while. I know you think. Spence wins comfortably as you don't really rate crawford but it won't be as easy fight for spence. Brook caused spence a lot of problems and I think crawford is a much better boxer and for his size does have considerable power. Garcia was too small we all knew that but crawford is a lot bigger. Spence didn't really hurt garcia as bad as I thought he would. 

I would like to see canelo vs spence if he gets past crawford. That's a fight that I think would be brilliant to watch.. Even triple g vs spence would be a good bout. 

Canelo fought at the super middleweight limit of 168lbs last time against fielding. Probably came to the ring that night over 180lbs after rehydrating. He would beat up Spence bad. And Spence is an excellent fighter but weight classes are there for a reason. Spence ultimately wins most of his fights by outboxing and beating up the other guy. Too much stacked against him against Canelo.

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Crawford is the real deal but again you could argue that his biggest win came against yuriorkis gamboa who like Garcia was fighting 2 weights higher than he should of been. Top ranks matchmaker trampler is well seasoned and he has matched him really well at welterweight. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't beat Khan. 

Edited by Johnnyp
Mistake

7 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Canelo fought at the super middleweight limit of 168lbs last time against fielding. Probably came to the ring that night over 180lbs after rehydrating. He would beat up Spence bad. And Spence is an excellent fighter but weight classes are there for a reason. Spence ultimately wins most of his fights by outboxing and beating up the other guy. Too much stacked against him against Canelo.

All it would take though is canelo to go down one weight class and spence to step up one then we get a even contest. Canelo although at super middleweight isn’t huge. I think it would be a good fight tbh if it’s it at middleweight.

even triple g vs spence that’s a good fight, Saunders also. 

6 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Crawford is the real deal but again you could argue that his biggest win came against yuriorkis gamboa who like Garcia was fighting 2 weights higher than he should of been. Top ranks matchmaker trampler is well seasoned and he has matched him really well at welterweight. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't beat Khan. 

So will I. Khan for me doesn’t have a chance. I then expect Crawford vs spence. Not interested in seeing either one fight porter or Thurman. Thurman hasn’t boxed in what two years? Welterweights abit if a crap division at the moment.

8 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Crawford, like Garcia prior to the Spence fight, has no A class boxers on his resume, for that reason I think he's overrated. Yes he's very good, but his level of competition hasn't been extremely high in all the weight classes he has fought at. Let's not forget that Gamboa won at least the first 3-4 rounds in that fight and had Crawford hurt. I think Khan will give Crawford a lot of problems in the first half of the fight but too shop worn to make it count, he'll get stopped later on, I think it will resemble the Gamboa fight, unless Khan is actually completely shot.

• Like 1

On 20/03/2019 at 09:25, mikeyp102 said:

Wilder Breazeale confirmed for May, easy win for Wilder. 

Easy win for wilder. He git beat up pretty bad by aj and wilder has more power. I still don't understand how he is mandatory over whyte it's a complete and Utter farce. Whytes been totally screwed. No clue what their beef is about though wilder breazeale. 

On another note okolie won but I really don't see the hype. If he really is serious about stepping up to fight whyte he will get obliterated. 

52 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

No clue what their beef is about though wilder breazeale. 

Breazeale reckons Wilders brother punched him in the back of the head in the lobby of a hotel in Birmingham (not our one obvs) - 'in front of his wife and kids'. And ran off instead of staying to fight it out. That's about it really.

52 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Whytes been totally screwed

Maybe, but it's boxing, it's nothing new. Whyte has got himself into a nice position imo and if he has any sense he'll try and raise his profile in the states before he goes for one of the big 3.

I thought Whyte v Miller would have been a great move and a potentially decent fight but AJ beat him to it.

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Breazeale reckons Wilders brother punched him in the back of the head in the lobby of a hotel in Birmingham (not our one obvs) - 'in front of his wife and kids'. And ran off instead of staying to fight it out. That's about it really.

Maybe, but it's boxing, it's nothing new. Whyte has got himself into a nice position imo and if he has any sense he'll try and raise his profile in the states before he goes for one of the big 3.

I thought Whyte v Miller would have been a great move and a potentially decent fight but AJ beat him to it.

I wouldn't be suprised. Didnt wilders brother start mouthing off to bellew hence where their argument began? I'd love it if breazeale won though but can't see it. 

As for whyte you are right he is in a excellent position. I think he should take on ortiz. I think whyte beats him. As long as he doesn't go for a fight like uysk that's a dangerous fight for whyte that he doesn't need right now. 

Â