The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Wilder can only 'windmill' apparently but that looked like a beautiful short right hand to me, takes out Breazeale far quicker than Joshua did.

The thing is though look at wilders legs breazeale wobbled him with his power. I do suspect aj has enough power to hurt wilder if he lands. We seen fury, molina, and ortiz have hurt wilder. 

AJ we know as well has been hurt too. I agree it was a lovely shot to be honest. Breazeale is just a big lump

41 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The thing is though look at wilders legs breazeale wobbled him with his power. I do suspect aj has enough power to hurt wilder if he lands. We seen fury, molina, and ortiz have hurt wilder. 

AJ we know as well has been hurt too. I agree it was a lovely shot to be honest. Breazeale is just a big lump

No he didn't, that's what the idiot Sky commentators want you to believe, he had Breazeale badly hurt from a right to the temple, Breazeale fired back in the exchange and caught Wilder, as a result Wilder took a step back and went less gung-ho but was clearly not hurt much at all, watch it on mute.

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

No he didn't, that's what the idiot Sky commentators want you to believe, he had Breazeale badly hurt from a right to the temple, Breazeale fired back in the exchange and caught Wilder, as a result Wilder took a step back and went less gung-ho but was clearly not hurt much at all, watch it on mute.

I don't know he looked abut wobbly tbh mate. Not seriously hurt but he did look a bit off balance to me

Fun fact - Inoue's total fight time over 2 fights in the tournament so far is 5 minutes 29 seconds. Could he win the whole tournament in under 8 minutes ? That would be insane. Could definitely see a scenario where he ends Donaire in a round.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Fun fact - Inoue's total fight time over 2 fights in the tournament so far is 5 minutes 29 seconds. Could he win the whole tournament in under 8 minutes ? That would be insane. Could definitely see a scenario where he ends Donaire in a round.

It might go a little longer 

Donaire is very old and had much better days but he's surely smart enough to be cagey and try to make the fight go long, he's also proved to be durable over his career, only ever being stopped by Nicholas Walters who was in fairness a very big puncher at Featherweight. Donaire is a lot bigger naturally having gone up to featherweight before and still has a home run left hook. Interested in seeing whether he can land that shot on Inoue and what the reaction will be. Inoue is of course the red hot favourite and should have too much for the 36 year old Donaire but I'd be extremely surprised if Donaire gets stopped.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Donaire is very old and had much better days but he's surely smart enough to be cagey and try to make the fight go long, he's also proved to be durable over his career, only ever being stopped by Nicholas Walters who was in fairness a very big puncher at Featherweight. Donaire is a lot bigger naturally having gone up to featherweight before and still has a home run left hook. Interested in seeing whether he can land that shot on Inoue and what the reaction will be. Inoue is of course the red hot favourite and should have too much for the 36 year old Donaire but I'd be extremely surprised if Donaire gets stopped.

Think he'll destroy him mate. He's a freak . He's making world class fighters quit. Yeah id be surprised if he takes him out in a round but his technique and punch power are just too much. 

I think should aj win in couple weeks they will announce that wilder fight is done. 

I think its close tbh. After seeing what wilder did to breazeale can only see a wilder win. 

AJ is a better boxer and I think has the power to hurt wilder but how the hell do you stop that right hand. Even fury one of the most intelligent boxers today couldn't. 

34 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think should aj win in couple weeks they will announce that wilder fight is done. 

I think its close tbh. After seeing what wilder did to breazeale can only see a wilder win. 

AJ is a better boxer and I think has the power to hurt wilder but how the hell do you stop that right hand. Even fury one of the most intelligent boxers today couldn't. 

I have to agree. For me Wilder beats AJ and loses in a rematch to Fury. Fury also beats AJ if they do fight.

28 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I have to agree. For me Wilder beats AJ and loses in a rematch to Fury. Fury also beats AJ if they do fight.

I do think aj has the power to hurt wilder though. Wilder has been rocked a few times. So he could win. But I think if wilder hit fury then I don't see how aj avoids it unless he knocks him out first. 

As for fury well we all know he was robbed.  I don't know how fury got up unless it was a fix so they both left with still string reps and they make a shed load mor emoney for rematch. 

The thing is fury seems so relaxed about this. He was more wound up with klitsichko and now the fight hasn't happened straight way makes me think something fishy about that first between them. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I do think aj has the power to hurt wilder though. Wilder has been rocked a few times. So he could win. But I think if wilder hit fury then I don't see how aj avoids it unless he knocks him out first. 

As for fury well we all know he was robbed.  I don't know how fury got up unless it was a fix so they both left with still string reps and they make a shed load mor emoney for rematch. 

The thing is fury seems so relaxed about this. He was more wound up with klitsichko and now the fight hasn't happened straight way makes me think something fishy about that first between them. 

Guess ESPN giving Fury 80 million quid has helped relax him a bit. Don't get me wrong i'm sure he wants the rematch & to get in the ring with AJ but sorting out his kids & grandkids futures for life by taking a few what should be straightforward fights & at the same time as gaining huge exposure in the states than to ESPN being huge will make him pipe down a bit.

Greatest amateur of all time  ? Lomachenko obviously stands out. Felix Savon. 3 time Olympic gold medallist. I think if Savon had of defected after 92 he could of been in a great series of fights with Bowe, Lewis, Holyfield and Tyson. Loved his country more than the wealth though. I remember my grandfather telling me teofilo Stevenson would of beat Ali.

18 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Greatest amateur of all time  ? Lomachenko obviously stands out. Felix Savon. 3 time Olympic gold medallist. I think if Savon had of defected after 92 he could of been in a great series of fights with Bowe, Lewis, Holyfield and Tyson. Loved his country more than the wealth though. I remember my grandfather telling me teofilo Stevenson would of beat Ali.

My dad also said that.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

My dad also said that.

Coming back to the Cubans, as good as they are in the amateur game, they definitely take advantage of the system. They are 30, 31, 32 - probably medalled at the previous Olympics and then fight kids from other countries who are 20 , 21, 22. So much of an advantage mentally and physically. You rarely see this in the pro game. Mayweather when he was 18 beating Hernandez for a world title. Doesn't happen much though.

Stevenson was incredibly light on his fight, would bounce up and down constantly, moving laterally often and always throwing feints, he had a great jab and a right hand that was fast and would hit you like a train, amazing how many KO's he had in the amateurs with a bullet like right whilst being on his toes rather than having his feet fully planted. 

Hard to say how he'd do in the pros though, much longer fights and a generally different style, if there was any Cuban heavy who could have made it to the top of the pros it was him. 

Cuban's are funny boxers, the ones that have turned pro always seem to have deficiencies due to their amateur background, a lot of this can be issues such as being too keen to sit back and not force the issue and coast through fights. The mentality isn't quite there so soon as they get into the pros.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Stevenson was incredibly light on his fight, would bounce up and down constantly, moving laterally often and always throwing feints, he had a great jab and a right hand that was fast and would hit you like a train, amazing how many KO's he had in the amateurs with a bullet like right whilst being on his toes rather than having his feet fully planted. 

Hard to say how he'd do in the pros though, much longer fights and a generally different style, if there was any Cuban heavy who could have made it to the top of the pros it was him. 

Cuban's are funny boxers, the ones that have turned pro always seem to have deficiencies due to their amateur background, a lot of this can be issues such as being too keen to sit back and not force the issue and coast through fights. The mentality isn't quite there so soon as they get into the pros.

Your bang on about the mentality. They go from a very disciplined, almost militant like way of life and approach to boxing to then arriving more often than not to Miami and just being consumed by this other world. Nobody telling them what to do. I remember the story of casamayor and garbey the outstanding light heavyweight who left the cuban training camp in Mexico in prep for Atlanta '96, in the middle of the night and got into America. Casamayor made it as a pro. Good career. Garbey not so much. American lifestyle consumed him.

What the hell is the point if this fight? Ortiz got knocked out with first clear shot wilder hit. It will be the exact same again. 

Pointless fight that I am not interested in. 

Edited by Demitri_C

The 'top 3' heavyweights are all actively avoiding each other, Joshua's team make inequitable, low ball offers, Fury went and took himself out of the frame, to a point, in order to cash in on the ESPN deal and Wilder's team is busy making fights with lower level heavyweights. 

It's all in a rather bad place, these guys simply do not compare to the greats of the past, they are lacking severely in the heart department, at most they're business men.

• Like 1

Between the 3 of them they have a 90-0 record yet have had maybe 10 fights between them out of those 90 against people that aren't complete bums.

The whole 2 fights per year thing is crap, They all plough through 6/7/8 per year in the early days yet as soon as they start rising through the ranks and putting some money in their pockets they drop to 2. I'm not expecting them all to fight every other month but  a minimum of 3 per year would still allow 3 full training camps and still give them 3 months+ off per year. Joshua in particular should not be able to hold 3 belts and only fight twice per year.

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 2

Â