The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

yeah agreed, I worded it badly, I think I addressed it in my second post, it wasn't a fighters pride that kept him in there it was a man who realized that the £££'s that were to be made from his big comeback were vanishing before his very eyes.

obviously he showed that he is tough but if it wasn't for the other injury debacles that I mentioned earlier in that post don't think for a second that Haye wouldn't have clambered out of the ring and survived on the excuse of the injury

• Like 1

Just watched the fight back and Haye was the aggressor for much of the early rounds and probs ahead on points

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened had his leg not exploded

Haye was a deadman from the off. Legs were like cinder blocks and the explosiveness in his punching just wasn't there. What I'm convinced about is that Haye knew all of this but thought he'd get away with it against a fat Cruiserweight. Then having dispatched of Bellew on PPV he'd be in line for a true cash out fight against Joshua. But obviously didn't go to plan. Against a lighter opponent in Bellew, who was elusive and tactical, he just couldn't get quality offense off. He was too slow on his feet and in his hands, his diminished reflexes meant he couldn't generate the angles he used to and he couldn't even feint his way in effectively. To blame this on a injury he carried into the fight would be disingenuous, the injury is only part of a wider story of the demise of Haye's athletic abilities. 

The thing with Haye is that he needs the money. He has squandered a lot of his career earnings on a lavish lifestyle (and a divorce). It has to be said that his lifestyle since the Klitschko fight - partying hard and non-stop in Miami and Vegas, has probably also contributed to his athletic decline. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 3

Bellew needs to chill out a little bit and go back to cruiser weight. Hearn is mugging him off and has never really cared about his fighters. I'd be worried, even though not a great fighter, if he took on Wilder it may end his career if not worse.

I'm not sure if it was tactical, but he looked very poor against Haye, a big puncher i.e Wilder would destroy Bellew.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Bellew needs to chill out a little bit and go back to cruiser weight. Hearn is mugging him off and has never really cared about his fighters. I'd be worried, even though not a great fighter, if he took on Wilder it may end his career if not worse.

I'm not sure if it was tactical, but he looked very poor against Haye, a big puncher i.e Wilder would destroy Bellew.

Yeah he looked shit for the final few rounds. The extra weight knackered him. Wilder would obliterate him. He is best not fighting someone of that calibre. I think if he wants to continue at heavyweight maybe fight whyte? Or aim for winner of fury vs Parker

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, West said:

To be fair Wilder is rubbish himself. If he can elude that big shot all fight then he has a chance of an upset. 

Whilst he could probably do a good job on his bike early I doubt he'll be able to avoid Wilder. The big difference between Haye and Wilder is that Wilder is massive. Wilder is 6 ft 7 with an 83" reach. Bellew is 6 ft 3 with a 74 inch reach. Wilder has the sort of right hand that can 'hit you from the back of the arena'.Wilder is shite but Tony ain't the guy to expose him.

• Like 1

I like that Wilder can 'hit you from the back of the arena' yeah he is a windmilling freak when he smells blood and he lacks the fundamentals to be a decent boxer but his power carries him through.

Bellew just wants one more fight before he knocks it on the head, he's not in it for the long haul, he certainly won't be fighting bums in Russia like other certain fighters, having said that if he is going to stupidly stay at heavyweight then Dillian Whyte is the only fight that he should even consider.

It'll be PPV purely because the sky media machine will roll in and take advantage of two unlikable fighters who are decent trash talkers, the public will lap up another man made grudge match when in reality Whyte has never ever even thought about Bellew as an opponent before that last night and he is prime candidate to make some decent $$$$'s from it.

Whyte wins easy by the way.

Edited by leemond2008

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

I like that Wilder can 'hit you from the back of the arena' yeah he is a windmilling freak when he smells blood and he lacks the fundamentals to be a decent boxer but his power carries him through.

Bellew just wants one more fight before he knocks it on the head, he's not in it for the long haul, he certainly won't be fighting bums in Russia like other certain fighters, having said that if he is going to stupidly stay at heavyweight then Dillian Whyte is the only fight that he should even consider.

It'll be PPV purely because the sky media machine will roll in and take advantage of two unlikable fighters who are decent trash talkers, the public will lap up another man made grudge match when in reality Whyte has never ever even thought about Bellew as an opponent before that last night and he is prime candidate to make some decent $$$$'s from it.

Whyte wins easy by the way.

He is better off fighting fury or parker winner it's for a championship and a potential wannabe fight 

But I want to see wilder go up against someone decent no more bums

I'm not a boxing fan by any stretch but like most I take a interest in fights like this, so me and a few mates chipped in a few quid and watched it

I thought the entire fight was a joke, haye looked the better fighter until he got injured, the fact that fat bloke couldn't knock out a man on one leg was ridiculous, whole thing seemed rigged tbh, then the 2 who spent the last 8 weeks threatening to kill each other spent 20 minutes saying how much respect they have for each other and wanting a rematch. Embarrassing

• Like 1

Yep. Of course, you can only beat what's in front of you but IMO there is absolutely no way Bellew would've even got close to winning without Haye's injury. It's stating the obvious but seems to be getting underplayed. I think we would've seen a stoppage in the 6th-8th. I'm not even sure Bellew's punches hurt Haye. Haye hitting the deck was a balance issue because he couldn't put any weight on one leg.

• Like 2

Â