The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

Just watching the Loma fight now, its got exactly as predicted, easy night for Loma

Smith was damn lucky with the win yesterday, he was getting beat easy by Williams and the cut came via a headbutt, Williams was gassing towards the end so Smith would most likely have come on strong in the final rounds, the judges had him 1 point down at the time of the stoppage, I think I had it by about 3 points so he would have had a lot of work to do to win on points, he also came across as a proper prick in the interviews afterwards.

Flanagan, failed to really impress again, he won the fight but Petrov made it difficult and awkward for him, Garcia or Linares would beat him easy, I can't remember what the fight Warren said he wanted but I'm pretty sure Garcia wasn't mentioned once

Dubois, pathetic, beat a dude with bitch tits in 20 seconds but it was his debut so it was always going to be a gimmee but I don't think they wanted the other dude to go down quite so early

Let's be honest, he's just about a stand out at domestic level but that's at. He's not a world level boxer, he was only recently fighting a shot Derry Matthews (and going the distance). Warren has for a very long time had an extremely cushy relationship with the WBO, which is why Flanagan was able to win that belt in the first place, against an unknown Mexican club fighter in a vacant title bout, rather than against a legitimate world champion. 

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

just finished the Loma fight, the guy is a genius

The entire card delivered. Uysk had a harder than expected fight, but still showed his class in an entertaining bout. Gvozdyk added to his growing rep with an excellent KO win over Yunieski Gonzalez, Gvozdyk is going to be a real problem for the light-heavyweight division, has real power and killer instinct, worth keeping tabs on and Lomachenko again showed why he's the best boxer in the entire sport.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

16 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The entire card delivered. Uysk had a harder than expected fight, but still showed his class in an entertaining bout. Gvozdyk added to his growing rep with an excellent KO win over Yunieski Gonzalez, Gvozdyk is going to be a real problem for the light-heavyweight division, has real power and killer instinct, worth keeping tabs on and Lomachenko again showed why he's the best boxer in the entire sport.

I didn't get to see the undercard, BoxNation have changed the way they are scheduling things on Virgin, instead of just having one program that is 3 or 4 hours long for the whole event they seem to have broken it down into little blocks titled 'main event' it didn't record for some reason, I caught the Loma fight on youtube

Must admit, I was delighted to see Ricky Burns get thoroughly outboxed last night, he's a nice guy, but an ugly boxer with no real skill. Sky were at pains throughout to remind everyone about Burn's 'miles on the clock' (Adam Smith really does ruin fights with his disgraceful commentary), as if he was once a great boxer, but here's a news flash, he never was and Indongo would beat any version of Burns in a similar fashion. 

I guess one of the reasons I hate Ricky Burns so much is the favourable scoring he has received over his career. He was outboxed completely by Ray Beltran but got a draw, even in defeat to guys like Dejan Zlaticanin he'd lose by split decision when it were far wider.

Anyway the real disgrace last night was the 116-112 card, Burns lost every single round, this judge should never judge at this level again.  

• Like 2

Ricky  Burns once again coming up short against a top level fighter . I thought at times he was made to look very average ,and seemed to have no answer to his opponents tactics. 

It's hard to work out where Burns goes from here ,even in his prime I thought he sometimes flattered to deceive. 

6 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Anyway the real disgrace last night was the 116-112 card, Burns lost every single round, this judge should never judge at this level again.

Even as a jock with a soft spot for Burns it is hard to disagree with this, I thought that there was maybe 1 round he nicked (somewhere around the 8th/9th) but it was obvious he didn't stand a chance from round 1.

From the tale of the tape there is 1/2" difference in height & 1" difference in reach but Indongo looked like a big gangly awkward southpaw that Burns just couldn't cope with.

Perhaps the person who did the measuring also did the scoring on that third card

5 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Even as a jock with a soft spot for Burns it is hard to disagree with this, I thought that there was maybe 1 round he nicked (somewhere around the 8th/9th) but it was obvious he didn't stand a chance from round 1.

From the tale of the tape there is 1/2" difference in height & 1" difference in reach but Indongo looked like a big gangly awkward southpaw that Burns just couldn't cope with.

Perhaps the person who did the measuring also did the scoring on that third card

It's highly likely that Sky took that info from Boxrec cos I just checked it out and the differences between the two boxers are the same from that source. It doesn't pass the eyeball test, Indongo looks more like 5'11 (which makes him a giant at this weight) with far longer arms. Also Indongo clearly 'fights tall' whereas Burns fights 'small' - tighter and more hunched forward, which can often make a more upright rangy opponent look even taller.

20 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Another week and another disgrace set of score cards in the UK, Murray vs Rosado was absolutely shocking, with the cards reading 116-112, 114-114 and 119-109 to Murray. I actually felt Rosado won in a close fight. Murray is shite.

I agree, I like Martin Murray  but he should have stopped fighting a while ago. His best days are behind him. He has looked shot to pieces in his last few fights. Groves totally outclassed him, I suppose he will get one more pay day now but he really does need to hang up his gloves. He has a lot of heart but what limited ability he possesed in the past has long gone. 

Hughie Fury has pulled out of his world title fight with Joseph Parker with an unspecified injury.

Parkers promoter said that the "injury" is that the whole Fury camp have a broken moral compass and that they didn't want to travel to New Zealand & said i don't think i'll bother trying to re-arrange the fight in future.

Fury will never get an easier shot at a world title than this.

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Hughie Fury has pulled out of his world title fight with Joseph Parker with an unspecified injury.

Parkers promoter said that the "injury" is that the whole Fury camp have a broken moral compass and that they didn't want to travel to New Zealand & said i don't think i'll bother trying to re-arrange the fight in future.

Fury will never get an easier shot at a world title than this.

If that is the case he is a complete loser. Parker vs bellew? Maybe chisora might fancy it?

WBO have said Parker can make a voluntary defence against anyone in the top 15 when/wherever he likes.

Doesn't leave a great deal of choice as the WBO rankings are shite

1 Hughie Fury
2 Christian Hammer
3 Jarrell Miller
4 Andy Ruiz
5 Kubrat Pulev
6 Dominic Breazeale
7 Dillian Whyte
8 Tom Schwarz
9 Andriy Rudenko
10 Luis Ortiz
11 Andrey Fedosov
12 Agit Kabayel
13 Kyotaro Fujimoto
14 Razvan Cojanu
15 Zhilei Zhang

If i was Dillian Whyte i would be making as much noise as possible and take whatever 10% crappy deal is offered to get this fight on. He is already ranked in/around the top 10 in all divisions and having the WBO strap would put him in prime position for nice set yourself up for life rematch with Joshua at Wembley for a unification.

Only issue really is Whyte is fighting on June 3rd which would delay things a bit

Edited by LakotaDakota

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

WBO have said Parker can make a voluntary defence against anyone in the top 15 when/wherever he likes.

Doesn't leave a great deal of choice as the WBO rankings are shite

1 Hughie Fury
2 Christian Hammer
3 Jarrell Miller
4 Andy Ruiz
5 Kubrat Pulev
6 Dominic Breazeale
7 Dillian Whyte
8 Tom Schwarz
9 Andriy Rudenko
10 Luis Ortiz
11 Andrey Fedosov
12 Agit Kabayel
13 Kyotaro Fujimoto
14 Razvan Cojanu
15 Zhilei Zhang

If i was Dillian Whyte i would be making as much noise as possible and take whatever 10% crappy deal is offered to get this fight on. He is already ranked in/around the top 10 in all divisions and having the WBO strap would put him in prime position for nice set yourself up for life rematch with Joshua at Wembley for a unification.

Only issue really is Whyte is fighting on June 3rd which would delay things a bit

But Whyte would lose to Parker anyway. Of that list I'd imagine it'd be Christian Hammer, he's awful and will take a fight on short notice.

39 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

But Whyte would lose to Parker anyway. Of that list I'd imagine it'd be Christian Hammer, he's awful and will take a fight on short notice.

They aren't looking for a replacement. Fight is off so no short notice.

Can pick who he likes from the 15 & fight them whever he wants

25 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

They aren't looking for a replacement. Fight is off so no short notice.

Can pick who he likes from the 15 & fight them whever he wants

I've read he is looking for a replacement, unless that has now changed (e.g. http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/91843334/joseph-parker-needs-to-box-clever-and-vent-his-fury-offshore)

Â