The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

:crylaugh:Did you see Breazales last fight? I was really impressed with him. He was knocked down a couple times and looked like he was going to lose and he showed some much heart and knock the guy out. Was really impressed with him. Joshua did well to completely out class him. 

He's shit, end of story, a C/D class heavyweight who shouldn't ever be in the world title frame.

4 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

wiped the floor with embarrassing ease of everything in front of him to date? take a look at his competition, he's had 18 fights and I reckon that I would KO a fair few of them with ease, you really can't point to AJ's KO record as a sign of anything

Klit not fighting in a long time, getting old and being beaten by a fat gypsy? Klit isn't a Ricky Hatton, he looks after himself, yeah he has been out of the ring for a long time but I'm sure he will be just as ready as if he had fought just 6 months ago, being beaten by the fat gypsy isn't anything to be ashamed of, Fury is a clown granted but if you have followed his career then you will see how far he has came since punching himself in the face, he has a great jab and moves extremely well for someone of his size, add to that the fact that he completely **** Klits mind up before the fight and took away all advantages that Klit was looking for before the fight (namely the bouncy castle ring) and you can see why mentally and stylistically it was a nightmare night for Klit.

The only point that I think you can use out of the ones you mentioned are Klits age, he is knocking on and father time catches up with everyone and at present no one knows how this will affect Klit

I still say that if Klit has managed to outrun father time thus far then his jab and AJ's lack of upper body movement will make it a very interesting night and Klit may surprise a few of the people who believe that AJ is this invincible KO machine.

Largely agree, the Fury fight really doesn't contain any information to judge this fight. It seems that for some people, Fury is just shit and you can't persuade them otherwise. The reality is he is extremely good, he has an exceptional jab (better than Joshua's) and incredible footwork (again much better than Joshua's). Fury beat Wlad primarily off the jab, because his jab was better than Wlad's, thrown from a great height and with greater length, it was something Wlad has frankly never seen before. On top of that Fury was constantly throwing feints and moving, forcing Wlad to continually reset his feet and reluctant to attack. Joshua will not be throwing feints like this and will not be up on his toes like Fury was, Joshua simply doesn't have the sort of lateral movement Fury brings to the table and doesn't have Fury's foot speed. 

So my point is, yes you can definitely make a case for Joshua winning this, but to do so based on the Fury fight is plain wrong, unless you think Wlad showed signs of age in that fight, but for me his gun-shy-ness was down to Fury's footwork and feints, rather than being old. I have to admit, pad work isn't a good measure of anything, but Wlad did look spectacular on the pads the other day. I don't think his hands have slowed much at all. Wlad has deceptively quick hands, proof of this was Haye's comments after he lost his fight with him, he said he didn't expect Wlad's hands to be so fast.  

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

51 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's shit, end of story, a C/D class heavyweight who shouldn't ever be in the world title frame.

I disagree, one defeat to Joshua is no shame. I think Breazale is good boxer. I think he would beat Whyte and Bellew 

The worrying thing about the WK vs Fury fight is just how little fighting WK did. He barely threw a punch, as every round went by it was quite odd that clearly behind on points he didn't go on the offence until far too late.

To me, that suggests his age had the better of him 18 months ago and he hasn't had a fight since to keep himself sharp (may be deliberate to avoid showing what people already suspect).

I guess he still has a "punchers chance" of catching AJ with a sweet blow but I'm struggling to see how else he'll win.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I disagree, one defeat to Joshua is no shame. I think Breazale is good boxer. I think he would beat Whyte and Bellew 

Given they are both C/D level heavyweights then it's not achievement for him to beat boxers at his own level, he's awful. 

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

WK to win inside 60 seconds 150/1 on ladbrokes if you fancy it :D

He's never had a first round KO in a world title fight. Would actually be surprised if he has hand any first round KO's in the past 15 years, too cautious. He did have Pulev down twice in round one of their fight but even then didn't he really pile it on toward the end of the round to get him out of there.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Just watched the weigh in, interesting stuff. Wlad must be 6-7 pounds lighter than the Fury fight, tipping the scales at 240lbs. Seems to indicate Wlad is going to move more than usual and try to make it go late. I also thought he looked very fast on the pads so again, speed and movement could be top of mind. Interestingly he was wearing trousers at the weigh-in so more likely to be 238-239lbs. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

18 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Just watched the weigh in, interesting stuff. Wlad must be 6-7 pounds lighter than the Fury fight, tipping the scales at 240lbs. Seems to indicate Wlad is going to move more than usual and try to make it go late. I also thought he looked very fast on the pads so again, speed and movement could be top of mind. Interestingly he was wearing trousers at the weigh-in so more likely to be 238-239lbs. 

And Joshua is his heaviest which means the longer goes on the more he will tire

Wembley has an 11 o clock curfew so they need to be done by then. Hearn/ Matchroom shows always seem to run late due to booking a lot of smaller guys in 10/12 round fights on the undercard but they have been sensible tonight with only 2 12 round fights scheduled and i would think that Campbell should be over by the halfway point but wouldn't be surprised to see Quigg go the distance. Only 3 other 4 rounders scheduled and the 10 round katie taylor snoozefest to give everyone chance to go to the bar.

Genuinely quite excited for the main event, Wlad is generally very good at making people with 20-0 records look bad and knocking them out and it is really hard to tell just how good joshua is, Sure he's huge and smashes people but he has barely been challenged in his very short career and at times has shown a lot of petulance/lack of control with late blows/hitting people when they are down so quite what he will do if wlad keeps jabbing & grabbing all night is a mystery.

He has still only had 2 fights that have lasted more than 3 rounds and his total career barely touches 90 minutes.

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 2

Â