The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I see the Hearn hype train is in full flow again

Age verses experience AJ v Wlad e.t.c

This is very much a cash out fight for Wlad, i expect AJ to comfortably blast him out like everyone else between rounds 3 - 8.

Wlad has a tremendous chance if he gets his jab working early. AJ has never thought someone his quality, with his dominating jab before and I have a strong inkling AJ has a weak chin, having been hurt by a fairly light punching Whyte and rocked badly and downed a decent amount of time in the amateurs, yes only amateurs but there's something about the way he responded to these shots that looked highly suspect.

The red flag around Wlad is his age, so I think the early rounds will be telling, if AJ is in a situation where he can't deal with the Klitschko jab early it could be a long night for him. But it's certainly possible that the speed and power of AJ will be too much, but he'd be utterly stupid to try and bum rush Wlad. TBH I'd be surprised if the fight goes the distance, AJ is probably just about rightly the favourite, although the odds on Wlad offer a shit load of potential value.  

I'll admit I've never really followed Wlad's career too closely. How good has his chin been? As soon as AJ lands flush, will it be all over red rover? I personally think it will be. 

Edited by West

50 minutes ago, West said:

I'll admit I've never really followed Wlad's career too closely. How good has his chin been? As soon as AJ lands flush, will it be all over red rover? I personally think it will be. 

His chin is not good, has been knocked out three times (two of those down to him gassing - Purity and Brewster once early to the late Cory Sanders) and dropped 3 times in the first Sam Peter fight (two of those arguably illegal though) and once by DaVarryl Williamson. This was all over 10 years ago, totally different fighter since the late Emmanual Steward took him under his wing.

But AJ has to get off on Wlad and it's not easy, Wlad's jab is vastly superior and has incredible power himself, very few can hold much punishment from him. Wlad is legit a top 10 all time heavyweight the real question is whether father time has caught up with him. If this was a prime Wlad I'd pick him to beat AJ with almost 100% certainty. But he's out of his prime, just not sure by how much, I don't think the Fury fight has any baring on this due to differences in styles.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

I can't see anything other than an AJ win.

AJ: wiped the floor with embarrassing ease of everything in front of him to date.

WK: Hasn't had a fight in a very long time, getting old and last time out got comfortably beaten by a fat gypsy.

It could drag on as we know even mis-matched heavy weight fights go the distance as these big boys can take a huge amount of abuse without going down.

AJ in rounds 6-10.

59 minutes ago, Genie said:

AJ: wiped the floor with embarrassing ease of everything in front of him to date.

WK: Hasn't had a fight in a very long time, getting old and last time out got comfortably beaten by a fat gypsy.

It could drag on as we know even mis-matched heavy weight fights go the distance as these big boys can take a huge amount of abuse without going down.

AJ in rounds 6-10.

Maybe you're right in terms of outcome but this is fairly silly break down LOL. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I envisage it to be cagey for 3-4 rounds with both fighters boxing from range but I do feel as soon as AJ applies the pressure at close quarters Wlad will rocked and most likely floored by the right hand that he won't see coming. 

I think he may struggle to get in if Wlad get's the jab working, it's a very difficult thing to get beyond. I just don't buy the idea that Wlad will be easy to push back and be overpowered. He's a mountain of a man and his sole tactic when someone gets close to them is to get them into a bear hug until the ref break them up. 

Now the really interesting dynamic will be how the fight is refereed. It's more than fair to say that Wlad has gotten away with murder in Germany - refs have let him constantly clinch and hold his opponents when they get close to him, with minimal warning and penalisation. This is despite world class refs like Tony Weeks often doing his fights. It's something about being in Germany and him being the main promoter out there (K2 promotions) that allows him to get away with it. 

Over here you can imagine that Hearn and Joshua's team will be frequently talking to the ref about this Wlad tactic, so if the ref jumps on it very early, and even starts taking points of Wlad for it if it persists, then it will be the case that Joshua will get closer to him easier. This will surely happen given Joshua is the hometown fighter. 

22 hours ago, Genie said:

AJ in rounds 6-10.

wiped the floor with embarrassing ease of everything in front of him to date? take a look at his competition, he's had 18 fights and I reckon that I would KO a fair few of them with ease, you really can't point to AJ's KO record as a sign of anything

Klit not fighting in a long time, getting old and being beaten by a fat gypsy? Klit isn't a Ricky Hatton, he looks after himself, yeah he has been out of the ring for a long time but I'm sure he will be just as ready as if he had fought just 6 months ago, being beaten by the fat gypsy isn't anything to be ashamed of, Fury is a clown granted but if you have followed his career then you will see how far he has came since punching himself in the face, he has a great jab and moves extremely well for someone of his size, add to that the fact that he completely **** Klits mind up before the fight and took away all advantages that Klit was looking for before the fight (namely the bouncy castle ring) and you can see why mentally and stylistically it was a nightmare night for Klit.

The only point that I think you can use out of the ones you mentioned are Klits age, he is knocking on and father time catches up with everyone and at present no one knows how this will affect Klit

I still say that if Klit has managed to outrun father time thus far then his jab and AJ's lack of upper body movement will make it a very interesting night and Klit may surprise a few of the people who believe that AJ is this invincible KO machine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

wiped the floor with embarrassing ease of everything in front of him to date? take a look at his competition, he's had 18 fights and I reckon that I would KO a fair few of them with ease, you really can't point to AJ's KO record as a sign of anything

Klit not fighting in a long time, getting old and being beaten by a fat gypsy? Klit isn't a Ricky Hatton, he looks after himself, yeah he has been out of the ring for a long time but I'm sure he will be just as ready as if he had fought just 6 months ago, being beaten by the fat gypsy isn't anything to be ashamed of, Fury is a clown granted but if you have followed his career then you will see how far he has came since punching himself in the face, he has a great jab and moves extremely well for someone of his size, add to that the fact that he completely **** Klits mind up before the fight and took away all advantages that Klit was looking for before the fight (namely the bouncy castle ring) and you can see why mentally and stylistically it was a nightmare night for Klit.

The only point that I think you can use out of the ones you mentioned are Klits age, he is knocking on and father time catches up with everyone and at present no one knows how this will affect Klit

I still say that if Klit has managed to outrun father time thus far then his jab and AJ's lack of upper body movement will make it a very interesting night and Klit may surprise a few of the people who believe that AJ is this invincible KO machine.

like to see you try ko dominic breazale! I think that was a difficult fight for joshua. Both were similar fighers and breazale had a strong chin. whyte is debatable. Molina was a crap opponent and a waste of time. 

Problem is in the heavyweight division aside from the top 4-5 guys, the rest are all duds so you can't really knock Joshua's record and calibre or opponent. Assuming he beats Klitschko, he will probably go onto fight Wilder next and then can take his pick at anyone else after that. So after 21-22 fights he will have pretty much fought all the big names about. 

55 minutes ago, West said:

Problem is in the heavyweight division aside from the top 4-5 guys, the rest are all duds so you can't really knock Joshua's record and calibre or opponent. Assuming he beats Klitschko, he will probably go onto fight Wilder next and then can take his pick at anyone else after that. So after 21-22 fights he will have pretty much fought all the big names about. 

The wilder fight will be a interesting one, wilder hasn't been in with anyone with joshuas power and i dont think joshua would have either  

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

like to see you try ko dominic breazale! I think that was a difficult fight for joshua. Both were similar fighers and breazale had a strong chin. whyte is debatable. Molina was a crap opponent and a waste of time. 

I did say "a fair few of them" and not all off then lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

I did say "a fair few of them" and not all off then lol

:crylaugh:Did you see Breazales last fight? I was really impressed with him. He was knocked down a couple times and looked like he was going to lose and he showed some much heart and knock the guy out. Was really impressed with him. Joshua did well to completely out class him. 

51 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

:crylaugh:Did you see Breazales last fight? I was really impressed with him. He was knocked down a couple times and looked like he was going to lose and he showed some much heart and knock the guy out. Was really impressed with him. Joshua did well to completely out class him. 

Nah I didn't see that one, the AJ fight is the only time that I have seen Breazales.

Just had a text off my mate asking if I'm watching it and how I think it is going to go, whenever I tell him what bets I have had he goes and puts the exact same ones on, doesn't matter if its boxing, football, horses or even the winner of big brother he will copy it.

I've told him I'm putting £15 on Klit to win in the first round, I'm just waiting for a reply now to see if he puts it on as well.

I wouldn't mind but when he does win he always says that he was going to have the same bet anyway and he tries to pass it off to everyone as though he knew how the fight was going to end up even though half of the people he ends up putting bets on he has never heard of (he's the epitome of a sky fan)

Any way, you watch Klit go and KO Joshua in the first 30 seconds and make him a shed load of money

Â