The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

54 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Eubanks Jr fought a good fight, but if he's to be anything more he needs to step up - seeing as how no one particularly seems to want to fight Billy Joe Saunders, I'd like to see that one again.

Yep, dominated but never looked like knocking out and it was a soft stoppage

9 hours ago, AshVilla said:

IBO title?

Thought it was IBF how many different belts are there now bit rediculous

It's the highest regarded of the lowest regarded titles. It's not officially classed as a world title, only the WBC, WBA, WBO and IBF have that honour. The IBO belt belongs in a class of belts alongside the WBU and WBF 'world' titles, but among those it is the more prestigious. Bottom line is that it is an alphabet soup title no one recognises or gives two shits about. 

Wasn't it down for almost all of the undercard too? I suspect ITV will be issuing plenty of refunds, Eubank will still get paid but it might mean ITV don't leap into another PPV any time soon. 

42 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Best comment I saw about last night was some guy saying: Who is David Price's conditioning trainer? Peter Kay?

Almost as funny as Dave Caldwell telling Price in between rounds...'Listen to me, this guy will gas quicker than you'

The walk in was bonkers, "Simply the best" belts out and Eubank Snr appears posing like an idiot for a minute or so, the the music changes to Dr Dre and Eubank Jr appears and walks to the ring.

I feel a bit sorry for Jr with his Dad taking over absolutely everything (yes I realise he would have got a big leg up from his dad)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Oh and by the way, someone at ITV is utterly off their biscuit. I'd love to see the PPV numbers for that bill - I bet it's not much bigger than the audience that were present.

ITV were actually quite clever in what they done.

I believe that Jr got a very small purse but a large chunk of the PPV money, hence why ITV barely promoted it, they have dipped their toe in the water to gauge reaction and decide if they want to make a real go of it with little risk to themselves.

Edited by leemond2008

On 05/02/2017 at 09:00, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's the highest regarded of the lowest regarded titles. It's not officially classed as a world title, only the WBC, WBA, WBO and IBF have that honour. The IBO belt belongs in a class of belts alongside the WBU and WBF 'world' titles, but among those it is the more prestigious. Bottom line is that it is an alphabet soup title no one recognises or gives two shits about. 

It might be considered a stepping stone, but it's one some great boxers have stood on , May weather, Hatton and Chavez ,just to name a few .

9 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

It might be considered a stepping stone, but it's one some great boxers have stood on , May weather, Hatton and Chavez ,just to name a few .

In a lot of cases though isn't that where they've hoovered them up almost by accident rather than by design - where they've taken fights with a guy who has this belt and one other and ended up with this belt rather than occasions where they've gone out of their way to fight an IBO champion?

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

In a lot of cases though isn't that where they've hoovered them up almost by accident rather than by design - where they've taken fights with a guy who has this belt and one other and ended up with this belt rather than occasions where they've gone out of their way to fight an IBO champion?

Whatever the motive ,I very much doubt it prevented them putting that belt proudly round their waist .

Â