The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Nice win for the pacman. Wasn't sure how much he had left, fair play to him. Never really in trouble. 

Looked good didnt he. Just shows how well Mayweather nullfied him in their fight.

Hope he retires now on a high, had a great career.

1 minute ago, YGabbana said:

Looked good didnt he. Just shows how well Mayweather nullfied him in their fight.

Yeah, one of my fave fighters The fights with Marquez will live on in the memory. Even at 37 much better to watch than the shit Eddie Hearn churns out !!

• Like 1

Very respectable opponent for a farewell fight, Bradley is still a top welterweight although slightly past his prime, Pacquiao really did a job on him, outboxed him and showed he still has enough power to hurt a naturally bigger welterweight. I really thought Bradley had a great chance but Pacquiao rolled back the years in quite a few of those rounds. 

I'm not certain this is the last time we'll see Pacquiao in a ring, it really would not surprise me at all if there's a rematch with Mayweather further down the line (despite what they both say it's an easy payday) or some sort of 'pass the torch' fight with his Top Rank stable mate Terrance Crawford.

6 hours ago, YGabbana said:

To an extent, yes, but the Pacquiao of today (and of when he fought Floyd) isn't the explosive fisted knockout artist of 2006-2009.  I think I don't think Manny has knocked anybody out since Cotto which the fight after he destroyed Ricky Hatton.  That's when Manny and Floyd should have met, it would have been a fight for the ages if they met in their primes, a Hagler - Hearns for our generation, instead it's barely a footnote in either fighters legacy. 

• Like 1

So then boxing aficionados, Fury Joshua.. Who wins? Yes fury has the ring smarts, but will he prosper? What about the American guy?

I'd love to see Joshua knock fury out.

Fury wins imo, will keep Joshua away with the jab and potshot right hands here n there to win the rounds.

Wilder would be a good fight as he has a better chance of winning imo

Martin was pants, he looks mean as hell but in the ring he more like bambi. The way he was getting up after the second knock down just showed to me he didnt want to fight joshua anymore and knew he was out of his depth. Credit to him for coming to the UK as champion though even he was abit of  a crap champion. At least there was respect between both fighters unlike the last opponent Joshua fought.

I want Fury to fight Wilder next (as I expect him to beat Wladmir). I think Wilder will give Fury all kinds of problems. Joshua should defend next against Ortiz, then in my view fight Haye. Haye would give Joshua a good fight. then the winner should fight the winner of Wilder-Fury.

Edited by Demitri_C

I hope Fury gets his ass kicked in the rematch. He has been a grade A prick since becoming champion. When I think back to the first fight he barely got hit. Hopefully he has to work a bit harder next time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Since becoming champion?!

I realise what you mean but he's taken it to another level since winning the title.

I'd love klitschko to actually to turn up to the next one and give him a schooling.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

I realise what you mean but he's taken it to another level since winning the title.

I'd love klitschko to actually to turn up to the next one and give him a schooling.

Klitschko did turn up the first time, he just couldn't deal with a guy who was simultaneously bigger than him, quicker than him and with every bit an authoritative jab as him. You also have to take into account that Klitschko is a highly structured fighter, he wants all the angles covered (hence him postponing the fight due to 'injury') and doesn't like to have to adapt on the fly. Fury is improvised Jazz, hard to predict, it's a nightmare style for Wlad.

Wlad had success in the the last 2 rounds by being very aggressive (desperation going for the KO). He could start the rematch being more aggressive than usual, but this elevates the risk of him being caught with that dodgy chin of his, and also raises the risk of him gassing (e.g. like the Brewster fight). I'm not quite sure Wladimir has what it takes to adapt, I only see him having a punchers chance, just like I thought he had in the first fight. 

• Like 1

Fury is so big and so awkward, you can be a better fighter than him and not stand a chance - against Joshua he'd keep him at distance or wrap him up for four rounds until Joshua got tired and then dominate. There's always the chance with Fury that Joshua will catch him and knock him out, but I think Fury wins it eight times out of ten. For me Joshua needs one or two more fights at a decent level and then Haye looks a good bet.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to the Errol Spence vs Chris Algieri fight (BoxNation) tomorrow. Spence has been among the most outstanding prospects in the sport for the last few years and I've been watching him where I can for the last 3. He also a bit of an urban legend, having apparently beaten up and dropped Broner in sparring a few years ago and give Floyd Mayweather the goods in Mayweather's sparring for Robert Guerrero. 

Spence is a very strong, two handed puncher who invests very well to the body. He has speed and punches in combination, he has a good jab too but also has a very crowd pleasing style, he comes to fight and if there's any weakness in his game it's defence, especially in exchanges where I think he's there for the counter.

Algieri is there to give him a test in this respect, but doesn't have the power to hurt him. Algieri is an excellent athlete with terrific conditioning, and now under one of the games best trainers, John David Jackson, is a much more accomplished boxer and tactician. Algieri recently took Amir Khan right to the wire, rocking him in the first round and winning a number of rounds, especially late on. Khan won but I felt the fight could have been scored a draw. 

That said Algieri is a massive underdog and I don't blame the bookies. If the Algieri who fought Khan shows up, i.e. aggressive and looking to command centre of the ring, I think he will get knocked out. If the Algieri of the Provodnikov/ Pacquiao fight turns up (often on his bicycle), then I think it will go to Spence via wide decision.

Anyway, this is Spence's first fight against a legit. opponent so it will be interest to watch. 

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to the Errol Spence vs Chris Algieri fight (BoxNation) tomorrow. Spence has been among the most outstanding prospects in the sport for the last few years and I've been watching him where I can for the last 3. He also a bit of an urban legend, having apparently beaten up and dropped Broner in sparring a few years ago and give Floyd Mayweather the goods in Mayweather's sparring for Robert Guerrero. 

Spence is a very strong, two handed puncher who invests very well to the body. He has speed and punches in combination, he has a good jab too but also has a very crowd pleasing style, he comes to fight and if there's any weakness in his game it's defence, especially in exchanges where I think he's there for the counter.

Algieri is there to give him a test in this respect, but doesn't have the power to hurt him. Algieri is an excellent athlete with terrific conditioning, and now under one of the games best trainers, John David Jackson, is a much more accomplished boxer and tactician. Algieri recently took Amir Khan right to the wire, rocking him in the first round and winning a number of rounds, especially late on. Khan won but I felt the fight could have been scored a draw. 

That said Algieri is a massive underdog and I don't blame the bookies. If the Algieri who fought Khan shows up, i.e. aggressive and looking to command centre of the ring, I think he will get knocked out. If the Algieri of the Provodnikov/ Pacquiao fight turns up (often on his bicycle), then I think it will go to Spence via wide decision.

Anyway, this is Spence's first fight against a legit. opponent so it will be interest to watch. 

Cheers for the reminder ill set it on record. Not seen much of Spence but read alot about him.

Looking forward to the Khan fight also, not far away now

5 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

Cheers for the reminder ill set it on record. Not seen much of Spence but read alot about him.

Looking forward to the Khan fight also, not far away now

I think it will be the end of Khan's career. As soon as he gets touched on the chin it's over and Khan will not have power at that weight, he's hardly a big puncher at welterweight so he won't be at 155lbs. 

Can Khan jab, continually move and choose the right spots to flurry for the entire fight? I don't think so, and that will be his undoing. What does go in Khan's favour is Canelo's inability to cut the ring off, so if Khan can make Canelo follow him around and miss then that's really the strategy for him, but unlike Mayweather, Khan can't tie you up on the inside and isn't anywhere near good enough a counter puncher. Mayweather countered Canelo so often that it made him keep his hands at home. Also Canelo doesn't have any weight disadvantage in this fight (unlike the agreed limit for the Mayweather fight) - Canelo won't be drained and will show up on fight night close to 175lb - 180lbs.

Canelo just has to punch with Khan and that will be it. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I think it will be the end of Khan's career. As soon as he gets touched on the chin it's over and Khan will not have power at that weight, he's hardly a big puncher at welterweight so he won't be at 155lbs. 

Can Khan jab, continually move and choose the right spots to flurry for the entire fight? I don't think so, and that will be his undoing. What does go in Khan's favour is Canelo's inability to cut the ring off, so if Khan can make Canelo follow him around and miss then that's really the strategy for him, but unlike Mayweather, Khan can't tie you up on the inside and isn't anywhere near good enough a counter puncher. Mayweather countered Canelo so often that it made him keep his hands at home. Also Canelo doesn't have any weight disadvantage in this fight (unlike the agreed limit for the Mayweather fight) - Canelo won't be drained and will show up on fight night close to 175lb - 180lbs.

Canelo just has to punch with Khan and that will be it. 

Thats probably the likely scenario. BUT if Khan does bring his A game and sticks to the plan, i believe he will win. He looks good in recent pics currently weighing 160pnds

Â