The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Just watched the Eubank fight

The showboating was top drawer as usual

Smacktalking Hennessy and Fury while beating up Blackwell at the same time lol brilliant

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 2

Hope Blackwell is okay - showed a huge heart tonight, but took a bit too much punishment in my opinion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2016/03/27/nick-blackwell-rushed-to-hospital-after-fight-with-chris-eubank/?

Robert Smith, general secretary of the British Boxing Board of Control, told The Telegraph last night that Blackwell “had immediately received a scan in hospital, where it was discovered that he had suffered a small bleed on his brain, and medical experts were taking full care of him and would make a decision on whether to operate”.

Well time and inactivity made me doubt Ward, he was sensational against a guy you'd probably rank in the B class for the division. That jab is a thing of beauty, his defense superb and his transition from defense to offense terrific. Very efficient and impressive performance, doesn't change my Kovalev prediction but I'd pick him against virtually every other light-heavy out there (apart from maybe Beterbiev who I'd say is more of a toss up). 

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Hope Blackwell is okay - showed a huge heart tonight, but took a bit too much punishment in my opinion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2016/03/27/nick-blackwell-rushed-to-hospital-after-fight-with-chris-eubank/?

Hopefully pulls through, his career is definitely over, no way he'll get sanctioned to fight in this country after a brain bleed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YGabbana said:

Another duff win for kell brook. Called out Garcia, i doubt that happens.

Ward was good, a little rusty but thats to be expected. I said earlier in the thread that he beats both GGG and Kovalev.

GGG is too small, Kovalev well, different beast, I fancy Kovalev.

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Should have been stopped earlier IMO or been pulled out like spike was was in Eubanks previous fight. If the referee wasn't going to do it then your corner should act. Went 3 rounds too far. He got caught with some vicious uppercuts which really do rattle your head. Eubanks uppercuts are sickening and he can land them almost at will. 

Edited by KHV
  • Like 1

Eubank's looking pretty tasty lately, didn't think he would have it, Blackwell was quite a warrior, but Eubank showed his power. You cannot doubt being trained by his old man is starting to pay off. Just needs to keep his head down a bit, he is not as good as the old man just yet, so to take his eye off the job an showboat, is a little big headed at this stage, nearly payed for it too.

14 minutes ago, KHV said:

Should have been stopped earlier IMO or been pulled out like spike was was in Eubanks previous fight. If the referee wasn't going to do it then your corner should act. Went 3 rounds too far. He got caught with some vicious uppercuts which really do rattle your head. Eubanks uppercuts are sickening and he can land them almost at will. 

It's easy to say that with hindsight but outside of the 'superficial' damage to his face (that broken nose. and then in the last couple of round his eye) he never looked that hurt from the punches, not once do I recall him wobbling around the ring or even looking dazed, he was seemingly absorbing all that punishment and still looking to punch back and fight, and also sounded pretty intelligible in the corner during rounds when talking to his trainer. 

It's a really tough spot for all involved with responsibility. If everyone was over cautious about a fighters health then we wouldn't have had Gatti Ward, Corales Castillo etc. I think that probably plays on a lot of refs and trainers minds to be honest. 

What I would say is that perhaps the corner should have realised that given Blackwell is a non puncher, that he was so far behind on the cards that they should have just thrown in the towel, as he had no chance of the KO, but trainers/corner-men really, for the most part, are not wired like that. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Where was Adam Booth last night

I didn't see him in Eubank's corner took the night off or something?

Strong rumours this past month that they split. Not surprising when you have to share the corner with Eubank Snr. Snr is just too much ego, he's a massive control freak and is the reason Junior hasn't developed as well as he could have by this stage.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I'd agree with that - Eubank is interesting in that he's got a lot of good points and a handful of bad ones. He was dominant in last night's fight, but never really in complete control, you always think he's open for a big shot in a way you don't expect from more orthodox fighters, he also seems to be throwing dozens of 'knockout' punches in fights without knocking anyone out, his selection of shots seems wrong quite often, even though quite often his ability is getting those shots through - he is hurting people, that's patently and unfortunately clear, but he's knocking no-one over. For me, the bit that people dislike most, the showboating, is fine if he's using it the right way.

He's got lots of flaws and lots of ability, but if he doesn't address the former, the latter will only get him so far - he needs a proper trainer and most importantly he needs his dad out of his corner.

There were a couple of interesting moments last night between rounds, one where Eubank Sr was delivering a speech on how he should win the fight and Jr simply said "Stop" and waved him away, and another where after Eubank Sr had gone over the importance of going to the body, the trainer in the corner said to Jr "Just keep doing it your way, your way is working". If they're having to try to ignore him between rounds and they're having to ensure that the fighter doesn't listen to his confusing instructions during fights, I can only imagine how much of a hindrance he's being during training sessions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KHV said:

I think the Blackwell team were caught up in the hype surrounding him and his high profile support, coupled with the fact that the guy has courage by the bucketload. Eubank's uppercuts would have finished lesser fighters. I agree though that ref should have stopped it a few rounds earlier.

I like the showboating to an extent, and I can see why he was so up for it, I just wish his old man would take a back seat now and let him be up there on his own merits. I love Eubank back in the day, but he annoys the crap out of me these days. Plonker.

50 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd agree with that - Eubank is interesting in that he's got a lot of good points and a handful of bad ones. He was dominant in last night's fight, but never really in complete control, you always think he's open for a big shot in a way you don't expect from more orthodox fighters, he also seems to be throwing dozens of 'knockout' punches in fights without knocking anyone out, his selection of shots seems wrong quite often, even though quite often his ability is getting those shots through - he is hurting people, that's patently and unfortunately clear, but he's knocking no-one over. For me, the bit that people dislike most, the showboating, is fine if he's using it the right way.

He's got lots of flaws and lots of ability, but if he doesn't address the former, the latter will only get him so far - he needs a proper trainer and most importantly he needs his dad out of his corner.

There were a couple of interesting moments last night between rounds, one where Eubank Sr was delivering a speech on how he should win the fight and Jr simply said "Stop" and waved him away, and another where after Eubank Sr had gone over the importance of going to the body, the trainer in the corner said to Jr "Just keep doing it your way, your way is working". If they're having to try to ignore him between rounds and they're having to ensure that the fighter doesn't listen to his confusing instructions during fights, I can only imagine how much of a hindrance he's being during training sessions. 

I think he's a tremendous athlete. He's explosive, can punch from odd angles and can rally with the sort of combinations which would have a lot of fighters blowing out of their arse. He is also clearly a very big, physically strong middleweight and seems to be a chip off the old block in terms of chin (although still not tested by world class power). 

As you point out, the issue is that he clearly skipped boxing: 101 and is only really interested in boxing: Chris Eubank. The jab is pretty good when he uses it, but he doesn't really know how to use it properly, it should be building his offense, but he doesn't really use it to set his offense up. Defensively he leaves his chin wide open, he really is unbelievably open to counter punchers and mark my words this will get exposed when he fights a good counter puncher. 

Tactically he's very poor. He tries to blow his opponents out early with reckless combinations, this potentially will leave him fatigued later on in fights, especially against someone who hits hard and invests to his body. He also has insane tendencies to throw extremely wild hooks and uppercuts from the outside, he has to stop that. Again, as you point out he fights too much like a puncher. Despite Blackwell's injuries Eubank really isn't a big puncher for the weight, he's not a light puncher, but he's not as powerful Golovkin, or even the Quillin's and Andy Lee's of the division. He cannot put you out with one shot, he's an accumulation puncher, and thus shouldn't look to load up so much. 

• Like 1

Â