The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

There are those for whom in professional boxing, being the most marketable is achieving something. Sadly, it seems that the aim of pro-boxing is to make an enormous amount of money, buy half a dozen Bugatti's and a plane and live like Mayweather - titles and fighting the best opposition you can find are almost an afterthought. 

I think in a way, for Joshua, he's building his career the right way, he's not had all that many pro fights, so he's learning his trade - collecting a world title helps a lot of people make a lot of money, but I don't think it affects his development path - he's a young up and coming fighter - it seems that they have world titles nowadays.

You dont really learn anything by fighting bums you know you will KO within 3 rounds though

Some reasonable fights on tonight:

Ortiz vs Berto 2 - two washed up bums who have seen better days, both have power and both have fragile chins. This fight surely doesn't go the distance. 

DeGale vs Medina - really more of a tune up fight, Medina is somehow DeGale's mandatory challenger, he's really nothing special. He has a lot of power but is not a particularly good boxer and has been stopped 2 or 3 times before. Expect DeGale to put on a show and knock him out. I'm really high on DeGale, despite having his flaws I think he's capable of doing things that only elite fighters can do, I think he can become undisputed champion in this weight class and even have a decent go at light heavyweight. 

Badou Jack vs Lucien Bute - On the same card as DeGale with the plan to bring the two together for a unification fight. Jack is better than I initially thought, very solid and accomplished with better than advertised power. Bute has a bit left in the tank and although no longer at his best still has good skills and a jack hammer left hook/uppercut when he lands it flush. I think this fight will be competitive but with Jack emerging as winner on points. DeGale then beats Jack on points when they match up later this year. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Compared to the Bizier's and Gavin's of this world Peterson is a decent opponent, he is a decent boxer who arguably got robbed in the Garcia fight, but then relied on favourable scoring in his last fight against Felix Diaz. Peterson IMO is faded and has never really fought much at welterweight anyway. Not a fight I want to see.

Last I heard they were eying up Jessie Vargas, a decent fight in so far as Vargas holds a world title. They should just move the earth to make that fight, Vargas is a weak champion and Brook would beat him, and make him the IBF/WBO champion.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Granted this footage is 3 weeks out from the fight but doesn't look in good shape to me:

I called him a fat welterweight before and he looks to be that, expect his speed to be impacted some what. 

From the vids ive seen it looks as though hes lost speed due to weight gain.

Really cant see what strategy Hunter will use

11 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

From the vids ive seen it looks as though hes lost speed due to weight gain.

Really cant see what strategy Hunter will use

Presumably he will still be quicker than Canelo, so they will bank on that plus his footwork, which is OK, he can move laterally, that much I know, plus his arms are longer than Canelo so they will try to get him working behind the jab. 

But then, using your legs extensively when you've moved up in weight his not easy. Khan doesn't look like he will carry the weight 'well', he could encounter some stamina issues if the fight goes late. Canelo would be well advised to work Khan's body early. 

I don't think Hunter is a particularly good trainer, he hasn't really delivered for anyone other than Ward, who clearly has a lot of natural gifts. There's only so much he can do with Khan, ultimately, against a vastly bigger man with significantly more punching power and ability to set traps with his offense, the only strategy is to jab and run.

Degale fight was entertaining but not exactly a show case for his world class credentials. Hopefully better to come against Jack. If he wins that where does he go next?

Wasnt sure about the lack of respect shown towards his opponent, I thought it was funny during the fight but a bit out of order doing it after the final bell.

Bute fight was ok but he's still showing that post Froch beating he's just not the same man anymore, Jack just did enough so really all 3 cards were strange as one judge I think had it by 6 rounds.

looking forward to Khan v Canelo next week, really can't wait for that. My head says Amir is out of his depth here but if he could somehow win it would be another notch on the resurgence of British boxing recently and would really open some doors on his future career, I hope he can do it.

DeGale is an enigma, looked spectacular at times and awful at other times, against a very ordinary opponent. DeGale's problem is mostly mental and partly conditioning. He takes too many rounds off and ends up throwing fights away somewhat. I think he'd benefit from a better trainer. He always starts fast but hits a mid/late round brick wall, believing he's so far ahead on the cards that he can go into cruise control. 

I think he beats Jack, who is just a solid, basic boxer at the end of the day, if DeGale rises to the occasion, as he often does in his big fights (since Groves), he should beat Jack handily. 

Sky were making too much of an issue about DeGale not KO'ing Medina. DeGale is simply not a big puncher, his KO win over the until then very sturdy Macro Antonio Periban and his knock downs against Dirrel (who is weak chinned and got dropped by the non-puncher Blake Caperello on Friday night) made them think he's some sort of puncher. DeGale his a fast puncher who invariably hits hard enough to keep you honest. He can whip in a hard body shot and will hurt a lot of people with fast shots from odd angles, that aren't seen coming, but a knockout puncher he ain't. 

I did expect him to KO Medina, but he proved to be a lot stronger than I thought, plus DeGale was really hitting him with slapping shots for the most part, he wasn't committing fully, going more for speed than power for the most part.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Do you think constantly switching stances is an asset or holding him back? Felt like he did it too much in this fight and ended up square on too often and his punches lacked the power.

Jack is very sturdy and solid and I feel like he should stick to one stance and box behind the jab.

2 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Do you think constantly switching stances is an asset or holding him back? Felt like he did it too much in this fight and ended up square on too often and his punches lacked the power.

Jack is very sturdy and solid and I feel like he should stick to one stance and box behind the jab.

He appears to be sturdy but then was KO'd in the first round by a journeyman only a couple of years ago now. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with DeGale switching hitting per say, maybe he does it too much given how good his southpaw jab is but I think there's an issue when he switches just to showboat rather than for tactical reasons. Otherwise it's fine. 

DeGale just lacks mental sharpness to be on his A game for the entire 12 rounds, he is his own worst enemy. 

Under 4 and a half rounds priced around 11/4, under 5.5 priced around 7/4, very tempting. Despite what Khan has said (about trading with Canelo) he will be on his bicycle throughout the fight, Canelo isn't good at cutting off the ring but if he just commits to being aggressive and punches with Khan one of those bets is worth the risk. 

Khan looked like a blown up welterweight on the scales - his legs are really skinny which may help with his strategy of running throughout the fight, but I really don't anticipate him to take the punch well. 

I expect Khan to hydrate into the low 160s, whilst Canelo will rehydrate to the mid 170s. The weight difference will be enormous. 

Â