The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Quigg has got to throw combos. He's landed with good shots a few times and failed to follow up with anything. He's not got the balance between respecting Frampton's ability to counter punch and fearing it and it's cost him the fight. He's got to put Carl on his arse to even stand a chance. 

Frampton on a split. Can't argue really. Quigg will be kicking himself as the rounds he threw away have cost him dearly. Cracking end to the fight though, rounds 9-12 were fantastic. 

• 4 weeks later...

I see the ever entertaining Adrian Broner is facing a little bit of jail time for robbing and beating up a young kid over some sort of bowling bet - he's always been a knob has Mr Broner, but this a new level of knobwiffery for him. 

On a not entirely dissimilar note, Eubank Jr is on C5 tonight against Nick Blackwell, I'd thought Blackwell was one they'd lined up to make Eubank look good, but his record isn't bad - is it likely to be a decent fight?

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I see the ever entertaining Adrian Broner is facing a little bit of jail time for robbing and beating up a young kid over some sort of bowling bet - he's always been a knob has Mr Broner, but this a new level of knobwiffery for him. 

On a not entirely dissimilar note, Eubank Jr is on C5 tonight against Nick Blackwell, I'd thought Blackwell was one they'd lined up to make Eubank look good, but his record isn't bad - is it likely to be a decent fight?

Blackwell is decent and a more accomplished boxer than Eubanks but Eubanks has more power, strength and is the much better athlete. I also don't think Blackwell has the power to keep Eubanks honest so can imagine Chris Jr walking him down later on in the fight and landing some big shots. 

Brook is fighting another bum later and should end that within 8 rounds. Ward fighting Sullivan Barrera in the early hours and I think Ward might struggle a little bit in that one. He's fighting a big lightheavy with power and some decent skills, although the speed differential between the two will favour Ward big time. Still, it will be good to see how Ward equips himself against a fully fledged light heavyweight. 

• Like 1

Having watched some of Barrera's fights this evening I think he has a really good chance of the upset later, he's way more crafty than I thought, has a great knack of getting his punches through in tight spaces. Also, he looks decent on the inside, and I feel Ward's much vaunted inside game will not be as effective against a naturally bigger/stronger guy who can fight inside. Moreover, Ward's significant inactivity over the past 5 years, and apparent injury issues, could count against him. 

I'm not saying I think Barrera will win, his level of opposition so far is such that there's a lot of open questions there, but what I've seen this evening makes me think he could potentially pull off the upset.

59 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Luke Campbell back to fighting bums i see

To be fair, first fight back after losing to a no hoper you'd expect him to be in at that level. But the fact of the matter is that he's just not very good and he's 29 this year, so fair to say he will not amount to shit, European level at best.

There's nothing quite like the IBF rankings, first Jo Jo Dan is 'number 1' contender now Kevin Bizier (or whatever the **** his name is). Brook is a terrific talent but at his age really needs to be stepping in with top welterweights. He's really undermining his own credibility by not taking voluntary defences against quality opponents or actively seeking to unify his title. That way his mandatory defence won't look so bad. 

Eubank fight was class, channel 5 pissing all over PPV fights, though lets hope Blackwell is ok, on his way to hospital as I speak, flash back for the Eubanks.

PPV strikes again with the brook fight. I'll reiterate what a knobber Eddie Hearn is. Can't rate Brook until Hearn lets him fight someone half decent. Bizier even looked up to his corner when he first got knocked on the floor, as if to say who the F**** have you put me in with.:)

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Eubank fight was class, channel 5 pissing all over PPV fights, though lets hope Blackwell is ok, on his way to hospital as I speak, flash back for the Eubanks.

PPV strikes again with the brook fight. I'll reiterate what a knobber Eddie Hearn is. Can't rate Brook until Hearn lets him fight someone half decent. Bizier even looked up to his corner when he first got knocked on the floor, as if to say who the F**** have you put me in with.:)

It wasn't PPV...

Â