The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Povektin is a very good heavyweight,  power, especially in the left hook and good skills, especially on the inside (a range which Wilder can't fight). Although the height difference could end up being the deal breaker, I think if Wilder doesn't get him out there early there's a strong chance he will lose. 

Wilder is chinny and has been clipped and rocked recently by fighters significantly worse than Povetkin. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Looks like this fight will be off, Povetkin tested positive for the banned substance Meldonium (the one Sharapova) used. 

He claims he took it before January before the rule came into place. Is there a way of finding this out?

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He claims he took it before January before the rule came into place. Is there a way of finding this out?

Well, it can stay in your body for months so that would be his argument. But then, if a substance is on the banned last from January (with the ban announced in September) that means you can't test positive for it at all from that point on. So his team really should have been clued up. 

Povetkin for a long time has been one of the most suspect boxers in the game from a PED standpoint. In fact you can't view any Russian athlete with anything less than suspicion, given how institutional level doping in that country has existed for decades now. 

Whole eastern bloc to a certain extent.  It was rife in the 80s when I was growing up. I remember hearing a great joke once about a female East German shotputter (Andreas Krieger?) who had so much testosterone in her system that her boobs had turned into dicks. :D

So 'Canela the maricon' surrenders his WBC title to GGG rather than actually fight him, what a joke this guy is. He should stick to fighting naturally smaller, overmatched bums like Amir Khan.

We knew he would though. Hes saying hes still negotiating the fight though.

May have done it to stop the fight going to purse bids.

One of the top comments on /r/boxing made me smile:

One month later: "Golden Boy Promotions is disappointed that GGG would not accept our 90-10 split. It is an injustice to the fans. Canelo will instead face legendary warrior Antonio Margarito in September."

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AshVilla said:

So who wins out of Parker and Takam then

Winner becomes Joshua's mandatory that's if he beats his next bum

I like Parker. Untested but has really fast hands for a heavyweight, plus he has power and is accurate. There's lots of questions to answer and Takam I think is a great step up, Takam is better than anyone AJ has fought, he's very solid. 

If Parker can get him out of there before Povetkin did then it will be a great statement. I expect Parker to win this fight.

Â