The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Khan never sticks to the plan. He could box the ears off Canelo for eight rounds and get knocked out in the ninth because he turns into Billy Big Balls and wants to stand and trade. He'll lose this, not sure it's end of career because too many people want to see the Kell Brook fight. The problem for Amir is now that the fight will almost certainly be dictated under Kell Brook's terms. 

24 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Khan never sticks to the plan. He could box the ears off Canelo for eight rounds and get knocked out in the ninth because he turns into Billy Big Balls and wants to stand and trade. He'll lose this, not sure it's end of career because too many people want to see the Kell Brook fight. The problem for Amir is now that the fight will almost certainly be dictated under Kell Brook's terms. 

Khan has never thoroughly outboxed a quality boxer though. I'm no fan at all of Canelo, but he's certainly a very dynamic and cerebral puncher. I think Canelo does have the skill to land on Khan and this won't be because of characteristic lapse of concentration or deviation from the game plan on Khan's behalf. Khan's defence really isn't very good. 

I think if Khan's knocked out it will be the end, especially if it's brutal, that would make 3 very punishing KO career loses (alongside the countless times he's been on the deck). Not sure he'd carry on for health reasons. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I thought he made Zab Judah look like a bum.  I guess the caveat there is what shape Judah was in when he fought Khan, he (Judah) was a world champion but his best days were clearly behind him and Khan was just to quick for a fighter who himself had relied on superior speed for a lot of his career. Beyond that, I'm inclined to agree.  I still wouldn't be surprised to see Khan win the early rounds, I wouldn't even be surprised to see him ahead on the cards when it gets stopped. I just think it will get stopped. 

• Like 1

Spence looked absolutely sensational, what impressed me most was his mastery of distance, Algieri, if he has one punch, it is a good jab, but he could barely touch Spence with it and Spence would just move in and land with ease.

Incidentally Spence should now be in line for Kell Brook's IBF title, at this stage I'd say it's a 50-50 pick em fight, although I firmly believe Hearn will do everything he can to avoid that fight. The risk is very high but the reward not as much as other fights out there. 

I'd like to see Spence fight the winner of Thurman - Porter, I think Spence would beat of them and it would be yet another step up for him. 

• Like 1

Spence looked absolutely sensational, what impressed me most was his mastery of distance, Algieri, if he has one punch, it is a good jab, but he could barely touch Spence with it and Spence would just move in and land with ease.

Incidentally Spence should now be in line for Kell Brook's IBF title, at this stage I'd say it's a 50-50 pick em fight, although I firmly believe Hearn will do everything he can to avoid that fight. The risk is very high but the reward not as much as other fights out there. 

I'd like to see Spence fight the winner of Thurman - Porter, I think Spence would beat of them and it would be yet another step up for him. 

Was just jumping in the thread to ask how he fought. Only read up on his performance will watch it later on.

They're on about a possible match with Paquiao also.

Brook will want none of Spence imo

16 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

Golovkin V Wade tonight, but im more looking forward to seeing Roman Gonzalez on the undercard

I'm pumped to see the Gonzalez fight. His opponent, McWilliams Arroyo is a monster puncher with a bazooka left hook which he's able to generate lots of power despite often throwing it very short. His right hand also has power, but it's really his left hook which is his money punch. On top of power he comes forward and is ferocious, favouring an attack which switches from body to head. 

He lost to a top flyweight called Amnat Runeroeng but was robbed, so should be a world champion. In that fight he showed he could play chess with Runeroeng who himself is a crafty 'thinker' in the ring (but with no power). 

I think this fight is risky for Gonzalez, but I do expect Chocolatito to win, potentially by stoppage. If he circles away from the left hook then he takes away Arroyo's main weapon. If he absolutely outclasses and wipes out Arroyo then all I'd say is wow, as Arroyo is a top contender and a threat to anyone in the division. 

In terms of Golovkin, well, he will absolutely splatter the overmatched Wade. Wade's best win is a split decision nod over an old and faded Sam Soliman, Golovkin is literally going to kill this guy. It's a shame that Golovkin is seemingly too good to get a big fight. Far too avoided by guys in his own division, and there appears to be no takers in the divisions directly below or above him.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Caught the GGG fight.  He didn't quite kill Wade but he certainly beat the shit out of him. Who is going to step up and give this guy a fight?  

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

Caught the GGG fight.  He didn't quite kill Wade but he certainly beat the shit out of him. Who is going to step up and give this guy a fight?  

No idea, 'Canela' is too much of a maricon to step into the ring with GGG. The other two 'top' middleweights out there are Danny Jacobs and Billy Joe. Billy Joe would get massacred, he just does not have the power to keep GGG honest and it will be a case of when GGG catches up to him. Danny Jacobs is the only interesting fight given he's skillful, fast and has power but GGG would still KO him inside 8 rounds. 

There used to be talk of Peter Quillin but he has long been exposed and is now off the radar since Jacobs smoked him inside a round. 

Hearn is a master at doing this though

He gets an unknown quantity and this time undefeated fighter and hypes them up to be this mysterious challenger from across the atlantic that can cause AJ "Problems"

Joe public laps it up because the Sky media get behind it and fuel the hype and they fork out their hard earned money for the fight to be over in a mere fraction of the time it takes for AJ to do his prefight introduction and walk from his dressing room to the ring

But hes from MURICA and undefeated he must be good right.....

Most of the time i prefer to watch the undercard rather than the actual AJ fight itself

Edited by AshVilla

Everyone knows Hearn's MO, he enriches his clients whilst protecting them, thus minimising risk and maximising gain, when his clients rake it in so does he. His clients must love him. 

Sadly this is the era of on-the-job-training-whilst-holding-a-world-title. Hearn's strategy is similar to Team Wilder. Win a belt, increase exposure and allow AJ to develop whilst having some level of marketable credibility (IBF title). 

There's also an issue with the UK itself. British sports fans are pretty dumb, they are irrationally tribal and support athletes simple because they are British and in the case of boxing, recognisable Olympians. So they will lap this shit up, hence AJ now being probably the UK's most eminent Pay Per View star, without actually achieving anything in the pro games. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

So they will lap this shit up, hence AJ now being probably the UK's most eminent Pay Per View star, without actually achieving anything in the pro games. 

There are those for whom in professional boxing, being the most marketable is achieving something. Sadly, it seems that the aim of pro-boxing is to make an enormous amount of money, buy half a dozen Bugatti's and a plane and live like Mayweather - titles and fighting the best opposition you can find are almost an afterthought. 

I think in a way, for Joshua, he's building his career the right way, he's not had all that many pro fights, so he's learning his trade - collecting a world title helps a lot of people make a lot of money, but I don't think it affects his development path - he's a young up and coming fighter - it seems that they have world titles nowadays.

Â