• A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Heskey
    • Carew (for Heskey 63)
    • Delph (for L Young 76)

3-0 flattered them.

I didn't expect us to win today, was hoping for a draw at best tbh, it's the scoreline that has pissed me off more.

We clearly have work to do as a team, but we're going in the right direction so I'm not too fussed about this result against a very good team who are definates in the title race IMO.

This will hopefully gee us up for the Pool game, when hopefully we'll do them again.

I thought we did well in the first half, but didn't carry enough threat.

Arsenal actually played the first half in a very direct fashion and at a high tempo which is unusual for them and a compliment to us I think.

Unfortunately, in the second half we couldn't get our wingers into the game and with Vermaelan doing a good job on Gabby, Arsenal found the confidence to come at us and play their game.

Being able to bring Fabregas, Walcott and Ramsey off the bench is a signal of their strength and ultimately it won them the game. I think the final score of 3-0 flattered them a little in the end, but they deserved to win and there's no shame in losing to these. Liverpool might well have fallen off, but the top three are very much intact and Arsenal have a chance at the title this year.

I thought we defended well and that Petrov looked decent, Gabby was subdued and only Young really got involved going forwards. If we're to progress, we need a top quality striker to supplement Gabby on the evidence of today's game, we're not too far off though and I'm not too disappointed with this result.

Good post, I agree fully. I didn't think we believed that we could win today and Arsenal were very good and deserved their win. There is no shame in losing away to Arsenal and I don't suspect that this will knock our confidence too much.

I think we'll be raring to go at Liverpool and will see that game as very winnable.

Arsenal on form are a team no-one can cope with. No disgrace losing to them at all.

However our ball rentention still needs seriously work. I dont think Petrov and Milner is a viable central midfield when playing the better teams. I dont think Heskey or Carew are good enough for where we want to be either. My main worry is Ash Young, im coming away from every match massively frustrated with him. Cant seem to beat even the supposed lesser full backs, always takes an extra touch when he doesnt need to, too much diving and whinging. If we got a 15mill bid for him id be seriously tempted.

Still no need to be dis-heartened, things still look very rosy long term, and we still have a shot at a cup final and chance of grabbing 4th spot with some luck.

Got to be honest, I had written Arsenal off from winning the league this year but they really were fantastic (considering some of there absentees). It certainly isn't a 2 horse race as many are making out.

Arsenal deserved the 3 points and to be honest if we are going to lose a game there is no shame in doing so away at Arsenal. I thought the referee was an absolute disgrace today though. If I remember right 4 Villa players got Yellow Cards which all were equal to if not worse that Song's 20 odd challenges, he should have been sent off which could obviously have changed the game. Again the Fabregas freekick (as good as it was) was about 30 seconds after what should have been a Villa freekick.

Regarding Villa's performance we did alright. Milner and Downing were a bit flat, I thought Heskey was absolutly fantastic....worked tiredlessly.

At the end of the day, gutted with the result, shit ref, Arsenal deserved 3 points, good kick in the arce for the boys, lets shit on Liverpool 3-0. UTV!!

Was that the first direct free kick we have conceded to this season? Most DFKs appear to bounce straight off our wall usually. It really was a brilliant shot.

We should get everyone lined up on the goal line I reckon then rush them when they have to pass it

This will hopefully gee us up for the Pool game, when hopefully we'll do them again.

The strange thing is that if we want to break the top 4 we would have been better off drawing both games than losing today and then beating Liverpool.

Anyway, first reverse against the Sky 4 this season and first loss at the Emirates.

Roll on Tuesday!

We looked shattered tbh.

Could've rested some players (especially the ones on yellow cards) and gone for a more defensive formation but shit happens.

Fabregas was the difference, as soon as he came on we were there for the taking.

You win some you lose some, hopefully we can bounce back with a win against Liverpool but we did look **** shattered today...if we don't win then it could be a slippery slope into mediocrity once more.

Our back 5 done fine but the rest didn't turn up especially in 2nd half. Cesc is the different. We are not passing or keeping the ball well enough. We were suffering with unfit heskey.

Sky mentioned Arsene had his players training on Christmas Eve and Day and MON gave his players 2 days off. That probably made the different in sharpness.

I hope MON already given the players a reading of riot act after the game telling them their performance is unacceptable.

I can't recall an attempt in 2nd half for Villa.

Just got back from the Emirates!

Thought we battled well to start with but the first goal was the turning point.

Fair play to Arsenal they deserved the points today and I think a 4-5-1 (like last season when we won) might have given us a bit more control of the game.

Onwards and upwards hopefully and 75% of the top four is still something to smile about!

Just before the 60 minute mark they were at the edge of our box and Petrov was too tired to run 10 yards to chase their player, they were putting more and more pressure on us and we needed a substitution, MON brought on Carew for Heskey and I turned the TV off. They deserved the 3 points on the hour of the match I saw.

Cannot complain too much as we have had a good run but sometimes MON needs to make substitutions based on the game rather than his play by numbers routine.

Bring on Liverpool.

MON needs to make substitutions based on the game rather than his play by numbers routine.

Bring on Liverpool.

Same old problems rearing their head again. Just hoofing the ball at random corners of the pitch to invite more and more pressure from Arsenal. If not surrending needless possession to Arsenal through hoofing then presenting it to them with passes. WTF was Milner doing passing STRAIGHT to them while we were looking to attack?

Also thought they actually outbattled us, for them being a supposedly physically weak team. Milner, Downing, Young all losing the ball or being robbed by them. Defence and Gabby apart, we were losing to them physically as well.

Oh, and their **** referee - Fabregas combo combined to a really devastating effect.

Why was Luke Young taken off for Delph? Strange one I'd say especially with NRC or Sidwell on the bench, though it should have been Downing off and him on.

Chasing the game. O'Neill obviously felt he might as well try and score as much as keep the score down so made an attacking change.

NRC was never going to help us score or get back into the game, and Sidwell... well... yeah. He's got a good shot but it's always a foot to the right of where it should be. So on comes Delph, who might be able to conjure something from nothing as well. He might have been banging in some rockets in training, who knows.