• Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Heskey
    • Carew (for Heskey 63)
    • Delph (for L Young 76)

Could people please stop saying Ashley Young is world class. He's not.full-stop.

No, currently he isn't world class. However, there is a possibility that he could become world class. Lately he hasn't been performing very well, yet still manages to bag a lot of assists. When he is on form he is quality.

The main part of his game that is lacking is consistency. If he can get that plus advance as a player (such as perhaps becoming better at taking players on), then in my opinion there is no reason why he can't become world class in the future.

Didn't think our movement was good at all today on the few occasions when we did get decent posession. Even before the goal, our players would make forward runs too soon, which often left the guy in possession without a decent option and no close easy ball. It's all very well trying to strewtch the game a little, but we have to have a bit more sense and intelligence and not just dash forward in the hope that the player on the ball will find the right pass. Poor in midfield - but I was thinking only this morning that Arsenal could win the title. We'll have other bad days for sure, but we'll also have some good ones.

Nexty game to be a boring draw - O'Neill always tries to make sure we don't lose two in a row.

Actually, in the first-half Downing and Milner had a good piece of play, good movement and passing by both of them - Downing turning away from the Arsenal goal, drawing the full-back with him, and then slipping in Milner in the space behind. Jimmy was quick-witted enough to make a run into that space in the first place.

Movement is good. But we hoofed it too much.

Sorry, should have qualified that with "in the second half". That was an excellent bit of play with Downing and Milner in the first half and I was quite optimistic at that stage. In the second half, we tried to stretch the game too quickly which meant we didn't build coherent attacks. It wasn't all hoofing. Our counter attacking was nowhere near as potent as it usually is.

Agree. I think the problem whenever we got the ball was we tried to 'rush' it, getting it up the pitch as much as possible because we were trying to exploit Arsenal's high defensive line.So we tried a lot of optimistic cross-field balls or quick passes into wide areas, when at times, maybe we should have passed it through the middle.

Milner, Petrov, Downing and Heskey are capable of playing some beautiful stuff through the middle with Gabby/Young getting onto the end of those good pieces of play. Today's interchange with Downing and Milner was not too dissimilar from the passing between Luke Young, Petrov and Heskey that saw Ashley through on goal - only to hit the cross-bar - against Sunderland.

It saddens me that we are capable of playing such lovely stuff, but we just don't do it often enough.

I thought we did well in the first half, but didn't carry enough threat.

Arsenal actually played the first half in a very direct fashion and at a high tempo which is unusual for them and a compliment to us I think.

Unfortunately, in the second half we couldn't get our wingers into the game and with Vermaelan doing a good job on Gabby, Arsenal found the confidence to come at us and play their game.

Being able to bring Fabregas, Walcott and Ramsey off the bench is a signal of their strength and ultimately it won them the game. I think the final score of 3-0 flattered them a little in the end, but they deserved to win and there's no shame in losing to these. Liverpool might well have fallen off, but the top three are very much intact and Arsenal have a chance at the title this year.

I thought we defended well and that Petrov looked decent, Gabby was subdued and only Young really got involved going forwards. If we're to progress, we need a top quality striker to supplement Gabby on the evidence of today's game, we're not too far off though and I'm not too disappointed with this result.

Arsenal actually played the first half in a very direct fashion and at a high tempo which is unusual for them and a compliment to us I think.

Unfortunately, in the second half we couldn't get our wingers into the game and with Vermaelan doing a good job on Gabby, Arsenal found the confidence to come at us and play their game.

Being able to bring Fabregas, Walcott and Ramsey off the bench is a signal of their strength and ultimately it won them the game. I think the final score of 3-0 flattered them a little in the end, but they deserved to win and there's no shame in losing to these. Liverpool might well have fallen off, but the top three are very much intact and Arsenal have a chance at the title this year.

I thought we defended well and that Petrov looked decent, Gabby was subdued and only Young really got involved going forwards. If we're to progress, we need a top quality striker to supplement Gabby on the evidence of today's game, we're not too far off though and I'm not too disappointed with this result.

Top post.

The only thing I would add is the heroic performance of Dunne.

Top post.

The only thing I would add is the heroic performance of Dunne.

Seconded.

Dunney will always give 100% for Villa, we've given him a new lease of life.

I think its best to put this one behind us and move on to the scousers, who probably won't play half as good as that lot.

I thought Warnock just edged it for MOTM today over Dunne. I thought the defence were excellent today, which is maybe an odd thing to say after a 3-0 defeat. The midfield really let us down today. Milner looked like a llittle lost boy, and Downing had his worst game by a mile. Petrov couldn't get a grip of the game and Young was his usual infuriating self.

Anyway, ratings:

Friedel - 7 - not really his fault for the goals

Young - 6 - Least effective of the defenders

Dunne - 7.5 - Another blood and thunder display, love this bloke's defending.

Cuellar - 7 - Pretty solid considering how much possession they had

Warnock - 7.5 - Lost half a mark for his woeful pass that nearly led to a goal, but overall another quality display

Downing - 6 - Time after time made the wrong decision today.

Petrov - 5 - The Arsenal midfield want past him like he wasn't there. Looked lethargic.

Milner - 4 - Poor today, not at the races and horrible pass gave them a goal that killed the game?

Young - 4 - Worked hard, but that dive was an embarrassment to the club. Seemingly can't beat a man very often these days.

Gabby - 6.5 - worked his balls off as usual, but was feeding off scraps

Heskey - 6 - Worked hard, made some decent flicks, but usual shit attempts on goal.

Well, there's no need to go over the top but there's also no point in having a forum if we can't analyse where we went wrong, so...

MON: 3 - got it wrong today. It was fine to start 4-4-2 after recent results, and the first half wasn't too bad, but in the second half it was clear we were being absolutely dicked on. Wave after wave of Arsenal attacks through the middle should have seen another body put in there instead of bringing Carew on.

Friedel: 7 - fine

Defence: 6/7 - OK but too may long balls at times

A. Young: 4 - continues to be our poorest player of the season, regardless of the fact he's put in couple of crosses that we have scored from

Petrov: 4.5 - OK first half, got lost in the second

Milner: 5 - much like Petrov but possibly a little more involved

Downing: 4.5 - decent at times, nowhere to be seen at others

Heskey: 7 - played really well, seemed to be everywhere

Gabby: 7 - more great hold up play but didn't have support from midfield

subs:

Carew: 3 - offered virtually nothing; way to slow to react to anything

Delph: 5 - positioning was a bit suspect at times but clearly has something in his locker that will hopefully be released soon

Milner was terrible. he's been brought back down to earth thinks he's zidane or something. Ashley Young was total gash aswell who the phuck does he think he is giving everyone looks of disgust when he doesn't get it perfect into his stride. then goes and looses it cheap blatent dive in front of the referree.

the only one who was any good was stephen warnock who was excellent in possession (apart from the air shot when petrov gave him no warning)and tackling and bravery.

song should of walked for persistant fowling. but it was 88mins and wouldn't have made much difference.

I hope we bottle up the anger shake it up and bit then uncork it against liverpool on tue.

No complaints. Arsenal too good for us when they play like that.

Pretty much this!

Im also glad Ashley Young has been forced out the team for a game at least! He hasn't done anything for ages.

Yeah, ages. I mean last week's cross against Stoke doesn't count and nor does the cross vs United.

Yeah sorry I forgot those couple of crosses he did this season. World class. But seriously he hasn't got anywhere near his top form this season. He is too predictable and makes far too many bad decisions. I cant even remember the last time he skinned anyone. He is having a poor season and should have been dropped a while ago.

Who exactly for. Easy to say "drop him" but we haven't actually got any other players capable of putting in those deliveries bar Albrighton who is still very young and learning his trade.

Who for ? Are you on a wind up? Milner Right Downing left. I really can't believe you said who for!

Yeah and who in the middle?

Milner has been our best player this season and his best performances have come in central midfield for us, not sure I'd want to change that to be honest.

We have enough capable centre midfielders who should be pretty fresh for Liverpool. We cant keep expecting to just give Ash a shirt every game in the hope he can produce 1 or 2 decent crosses evry 1 or 2 games. Im not alone in this either . Pretty much every Villa fan today in the pub agreed Young needs a kick up the arse . Hopefully the lads play well enough Tuesday to give O Neill a selection headache when Young's ban ends. Hopefully his suspension will be a blessing in disguise.