• Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Heskey
    • Carew (for Heskey 63)
    • Delph (for L Young 76)

I thought a 0-0 was nailed on at half time but Arsenal really clicked up a gear after half time. They looked a bit too worried about our attacking threat in the first and didn't probe us enough but with Fabregas on things started flowing better for them and we just couldn't sustain the effort.

Considering they conceded 3 goals I though the defence were excellent again although Friedel looked quite shaky.

I agree the ref was a crook and I reckon Song should have been given his second yellow for his studs out tackle on Milner in the first half - he was a dirty prick and got away with plenty of dodgy stuff - including sticking out a knee resulting in a booking for Ash for diving. While the yellow was harsh on Ash, it has been a long time coming and perhaps being "outed" by the ref might be enough to get him thinking.

People are bemoaning MON's subbing of Carew for Heskey instead of another midfielder and yes, in hindsight he got it wrong, but at least it shows we were trying to win the game at 0-0 rather than simply settle for a point - and if Carew had scored it would have been regarded as a risk that paid off - it is a fine line sometimes.

It will be interesting to see how the boys respond against the Pool. Hopefully they will just shut rent-a-quote mouths and let their football do the talking.

Just on the way back. Not much in it before Cesc came on. We didn't really look at the races today. Doesn't make us a bad side.

Bring on Liverpool in a couple of days. Shame A.Young is suspended.

P.s. Can I vote for Fabregas as MOM?! :lol:

All i can say is we built ourselves up again only to get hammered and taught a footballing lesson. Liverpool will soon show that they are going to finish top 4 too.

Most people realised this would be a tough game. I think even optimistic people expected a draw at the most. The fact is that we were away from home at one of the best teams in the PL.

I'm more confident about the Liverpool game. We should beat them and I believe that we will. Arsenal are a much better team than Liverpool.

Let's say we are drawing 0-0 and Rafa sends on Benayoun for Lucas in the second-half to provide more attacking impetus for his side(as unlikely as that may be.)

What do you think MON will do? I think he will do nothing. Ireland, Jenas and Fabregas substitutions were responded in kind with ... nothing.

That's the most worrying bit. MON's stubborness cost us last season.

I fear it may cost us this season as well.

yeah it MIGHT happen, but then again he might bring heskey off for carew after an hour, and carew will score the only goal of the match, as happened against stoke.

the point about the subs is a valid one but dont go hanging the manager about our next match based on a purely hypothetical scenario.

some of the reactions on this and other sites are priceless.....

we lost to a very a good arsenal side today who scored 3 excellent goals and apparently our top 4 dream is over, we are not good enough to compete with the big 4 and it is top 6 at best for us. the doom and gloom has returned!!

crazy that beating chelsea, liverpool and man u is forgotten so quickly, that we had won the previous 4 on the bounce conceding 0 goals is forgotten, that until today we hadnt lost since the 4th november is forgotten so easily.

Maybe now people will see Delph isn't there yet.

:crylaugh:

Get off that armchair, open a can of beer and chill the **** out.

Good support by us lot today btw. Just one of those days, forget about it and move on.

A few overreactions here. We were out played by the better side on the day. Their midfield was superb, Diarby dominated the midfield, Song did a strong job as DM and then a world class player came off the bench and won the game for them.... it happens, its how we react that shows if we are up for a 4th place challenge or not.

But anyway, passing was off and we tired ourselves out. Ref gave us nothing. Was disappointed at the 3rd goal being let in.

Lets turn it around against Pool on tuesday!

Ponky = Bang on with your summary.

Villa84 = Do you actually watch games or just look at the odd result?

A decent ref today and we could have been playing 10 men for most if not all of the 2nd half! How many bookable fouls did Song do today? i lost count and then he books him for diving!!

Didn't think our movement was good at all today on the few occasions when we did get decent posession. Even before the goal, our players would make forward runs too soon, which often left the guy in possession without a decent option and no close easy ball. It's all very well trying to strewtch the game a little, but we have to have a bit more sense and intelligence and not just dash forward in the hope that the player on the ball will find the right pass. Poor in midfield - but I was thinking only this morning that Arsenal could win the title. We'll have other bad days for sure, but we'll also have some good ones.

Nexty game to be a boring draw - O'Neill always tries to make sure we don't lose two in a row.

For once I bloody hope VP is full on Tuesday to get behind the side!

I for one will be there in full voice! over for Xmas for the 1st time in ages and managed to secure tickets for the Liverpool and both Blackburn games at home! happy days!!