PL: Sunderland a Match Thread 2009/12/15 19:45

limpid

I think that we will see NRC in the lineup in place of Downing, spreading Milner back out to the wing, but dropping into more of a 4-5-1 with Gabs falling back into an offensive midfield position.

Getting NRC achieves two objectives:

1. Getting a midfield player some rest (and one who is probably still lacking in form a bit with Downing)

2. Getting into a 4-5-1, 4-4-2 hybrid something that we all agree is pretty good for the club.

NRC has started 5 games and we have a possible 13 points from those 15 (granted wins over Fulham, Bolton, and Birmingham do not stand out, but one over Pool does and a Totty draw isn't hurting us).

I could also see us coming out with Carew over Heskey and Delph over Downing, with NRC coming on around 65-70 to replace AY or Milner.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah i am actually. Why play heskey in midfield when you have to CM on the bench who cost 8mill each??? its idiotic

I don't think it is quite so simple.

We played 442 at Old Trafford, but when they had the ball Heskey or Gabby worked back making it more of a 451 but it wasn't a 451. Then towards the end when NRC came on we were playing 451.

Yeah i am actually. Why play heskey in midfield when you have to CM on the bench who cost 8mill each??? its idiotic

Heskey offers a better option going forward when we get the ball, to help us retain it?

NRC DID come on against United, when he got the ball he just ran it downfield and lost it, he can't hold the ball up like Heskey or Carew.

I'm with you Stevenjos, I would rather see NRC play than Emile play out of position as a 3rd CM'er/part time striker. I think if Nigel plays then Jimmy could push further forward and link up more with Gabby.

I am not saying we couldn't play a second striker that links up play and also drops in to CM when they have the ball, I just don't think that Emile or JC are the right players to do this - not mobile enough or young enough now to get up and down. Luke Moore did it brilliantly a couple of seasons ago at VP when we beat Chelski though. Not sure we have the player that can do this unless Nathan can?

I'm hopping we keep the Milner,Downing,Young,Petrov midfield and perhaps add to it with NRC.

I know we need to rest and rotate but not for this one me thinks.

Heskey came off with a hamstring problem against Utd, so NRC replace him along with same defence that finished Utd game?

I really hope we win this one tonight I love the way we start each game and we go at them hard and fast ! I will be very happy with a win Fingers crossed some how wolves beat Man utd slim chances but it could happen and then fingers crosses tottenham and Man city draw Then its just stoke and arsenal to beat and we could be looking very healthy going into the year

Hang on am i dreaming again lol someone pinch me lol !!

I'm sorry but you just know we're going to lose after saturday, the worst thing that could have happened for us was Kaboul scoring late on for pompey, had they won that one I think it may have been a little easier for us, as it is we will now be seen as a real scalp........

I'm with you Stevenjos, I would rather see NRC play than Emile play out of position as a 3rd CM'er/part time striker

Yeah i'm with you also, i mean if we'd done that then we might have actually beat Man U.

I'd be delighted with a point today, it will be a tough match but hopefully we can get something from it.

Our current team has won 3 games in a row so i see no need to change things unless downing really needs a break.

Have to go 2 upfront and take the game to them.

Their defence is their weakest part of their team so defo have to go with 2 up top. I would stick with heskey as their is no point in changing a winning formula. Would also start downing and if MON feels he is not able for the whole 90 then take him off. As well untilise him for as long as we can and if he needs a rest give it to him on Sat as , on paper at least, that will be a easier game.

Reid on the left has had a good year for them along with Cana in the middle of midfield but Kiernan Richardson is defo not a left back and like flether on sat it is a position we should exploit especially with Ash starting to come into form.

Optimistic we will score so lets hope we can get 3 clean sheets on the bounce and start defending like we did at the start of the season.......

If Downing does not play, will Milner be switched to the wings again? I would not want this, would rather Gabby or one of our squad wingers go out there and keep Milner in the middle, which I think will be the secret of our continued success. MON has a hard call here, I just worry about what he will do. PLEASE KEEP MILNER IN THE MIDDLE!

By the way has anyone seen mr cascarinos write up on our match , the mans a complete arse complaining that he is suprised teams havent worked out style of play out , the man holds a massssive grudge against us even sayin our win on saturday was down to a fergie blunder not us actually playing any good

Villa prove shit pundits like this wrong and lets win the whole damn thing

Yeah i'm with you also, i mean if we'd done that then we might have actually beat Man U.

We did.

A point today is a must imo. It'll be very hard to get though - and we never seem to perform too well up in Sunderland. Good luck the Villa boys. And fair play to anyone travelling up to watch them on a cold Tuesday night.

Cascarino's preview

I struggle to comprehend that opponents haven’t worked out Villa’s tactics of getting the ball out to their two wide men James Milner and Ashley Young to deliver early balls into the box.

OK Tony....I love the comments on him at the bottom though :lol:

Cascarino's preview

I struggle to comprehend that opponents haven’t worked out Villa’s tactics of getting the ball out to their two wide men James Milner and Ashley Young to deliver early balls into the box.

OK Tony....I love the comments on him at the bottom though :lol:

its a pretty laughable preview though isnt it , i mean sour grapes or what