• A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Carew
    • Agbonlahor
    • Heskey
    • Downing

Some awesome posts in here tonight.

I watched it on a decent Internet feed. Missed the first 15 mins but managed to stay glued to the rest.

Overall it was a well-fought decent game with the quality dampened down by the weather. As usual from about 15 mins before half and for most of the 2nd half we dominated it. Burnley are always very strong in midfield but we stood up to them for the most part. Really pleasantly surprised to see Downing on.

My ratings:

Friedel - 7 - Perhaps could have been out a bit quicker for their goal. But made a couple of great saves.

Young - 6 - Still getting back into it. Normally better going forward than he was today but still dedicated enough. Seemed to liven up when his old team-mate Downing came on.

Cuellar - 6 - Did everything he needed to, no major mistakes.

Dunne - 5 - Worst Villa game so far. Most likely explanation is Wednesday night. Back to normal next week.

Warnock - 8 - Player of the season so far. More to come.

Milner - 7 - Hard-working and dedicated as usual. Little more class required to really push on.

Sidwell - 5 - Normally a fan of the unsung hero job he does but he wasn't at the races today.

Petrov - 7 - Played quite well. Not his best performance and not his worst. Best footballing brain at the club. Knows zonal like the back of his hand and is a key reason we're so good defensively.

Young - 7 - Pretty good. Needs more confidence. When the keeper was out of position he could have taken it forward and square a bit more before unleashing but snatched at it, even though he wasn't far away. Thank god we have Downing for right-sided set pieces now.

Gabby - 6.5 - Always dangerous but not on fire today. Needs that to look top-level.

Carew - 4 - Didn't see him do a lot.

Heskey - 8 - Pushing for his place and has earned it IMO.

Downing - 8 - Right into it and quality shone straight through. Can't wait to see him score against Spuds.

I'm a big fan of NRC and after today he probably deserves a spot instead of Sidwell but he's certainly seeing his value go up from the Bolton result when they were beaten before they even got on the coach.

1st half was the worst we've played this season. 2nd was much, much better...

Dunne was knackered, Warnock got ripped to shreds, Sidwell was awful again and Carew hardly touched the ball...

Thank God for Emile Heskey!

I think it's a disgrace NRC didn't start, let alone come on.

He's hardly been that good in a Villa shirt to warrant such adulation.

It's MONS adulation of Petrov that warrants such comments. Sending out the message to any player he is undroppable is so wrong, as is the message he's sending NRC. The fact is, the captain of our last game was dropped after a 5-1 win.

Shocking effort. Whilst he got the goal, what the hell was Heskey doing being put at RB?

Some of these decisions are baffling.

Did you actually watch the game?

Heskey went upfront, gabby on r mid and milner at rb...just because heskey replaced young doesnt mean he played in his position...

My ratings

Friedel - 6 (at fault for goal, but after that made some good stops)

Young - 6

Warnock - 6

Dunne - 5

Cueller - 6

Young - 6

Milner - 6.5

Petrov - 7

Sidwell - 4

Carew - 5

Gabby - 6

Heskey - 7

Downing - 7

(Although both were very good, couldnt give them MOM or higher than 8 as werent on long enough)

MON (Subs) - 7

Away fans - 6 (after the goal went very quiet for a long time, and it was only a concerted effort from 1 fan, constantly chanting MON claret + blue army over and over that finally got the crowd behind the villa boys again).

Good day out irrelevant of the result, but it did feel that it was a step back in time.. 1800's anyone?

1st half was the worst we've played this season. 2nd was much, much better...

The later stages at that, I was at the game and I remember us not having a single shot on target for like 60mins or so. WE had one shot which was offside anyway so I dont count that.

Poor, very poor, Petrov a cut above the best player on the pitch. Was gutted when heskey came on as I like to think of him as "the towel", but I eat my words and thank **** he did come on.

Really frustrating game to watch, we just didn't turn up compared to last game (though also Burnley were far better than Bolton). The difference between this week's and last week's Carew was enormous. Has he ever had a particularly good away performance for us? He seems to have more motivation at VP.

Difficult to pick a man of the match. I went with Gabby in the end, held the ball up well, created a good chance for Young and had a shot tipped wide (though arguably should have scored, haven't seen a replay just live), a mature if unspectacular performance.

No exuses it should be on our behalf .The bread and butter games we always fail to get the points and those a the games that cost you bigtime.Wigan,Blackburn,West Ham and last weeks game are all point dropped by us which for me is not good enough with the squad on the park and no exuses should be made.I dont know if it's just a mentally thing or we just switch off.

First half was not very good at all

Second half better, but still not cracking open the champers.

Did deserve a point as burnley posed as little threat as ourselves for most of the match.

Exactly my opinion. Not a great game at all.

Can't understand that the discussion about the midfield is about wether Petrov or NRC should start the games. ATM we have a player that IMO does f**k all on the pitch. Sure, Sidwell might be well placed all the time and stops the opponents attacks, but he must be the best player in the world to do good things that people never sees. Start with NRC AND Petrov and I think we'll do a lot better. And Sidwell must be paid some kind of an opposite goal bonus. The more goals you score, the less you'll be paid.

And Gabby was Villas best on the pitch for me. Ran his socks off and was part of most of the chances we created.

Terrible weather and playing a team with an excellent home record.

Poor performance but ok result.

Did the other team have different weather?

most stupid question ever?!?

Given that Burnley were the home side just perhaps they were more used to the conditions at Turf Moor on saturday.

Difficult place to go to this season, other teams that have already been there would have been happy to come away with a point no doubt. I said it would be tough and that I expected a draw before the match started so not too disappointed with the result.

Really disappointed with the formation and personnel picked though. Especially after NRC played so well last time out.

The most amazing thing for me though, is that on a ratings and reactions thread people seem to get so upset when other people express their ratings and reactions

Given that Burnley were the home side just perhaps they were more used to the conditions at Turf Moor on saturday.

Rubbish. It also rains and is windy in Birmingham.

To claim the conditions were a key reason to why we didn't win or played poorly is clutching at straws. We've played poorly for a long time away from home now.

Terrible weather and playing a team with an excellent home record.

Poor performance but ok result.

Did the other team have different weather?

most stupid question ever?!?

Yup about as stupid as claiming the whether had anything to do with it.

The other team had to play in it and seemed to manage fine, yet for us its a perfectly acceptable excuse for why we were shite again away from home!

Now I really dont think we are playing well and dont expect us top be challenging the top four for much longer this season, but in terms of our away record there are 4 teams better than us for points and 4 teams better than us for goal difference, and we are fifth in the league overall. So on that basis our away record isn't that bad at the minute

looking back, a very decent point garnered away from home to a mid table team who pick up all their points at home, and who were clearly up for the game.

this is a side that had won 5 out of 6 at home, including beating Man U and Evernot.

a respectable result.

I haven't seen the game so cannot comment on the performance, but it does sound like we were poor in the first half. A draw is not a bad result, I will not be too down hearted about that. I would have liked a win, but considering the form of the home team and tricky conditions then a draw is not all bad. A lot of teams will find it hard going away to Burnley this season.

Played shit against a side that've won all but 1 game at home this season, yet came away with something. I hear that's what good teams usually do.

It's just hilarity reading the sarcy Heskey and MON tactical genius comments after something like this. Even better for those that chose to turn their streams off.

Taken in isolation, this result would not be bad. But the performance was very poor and it is the sixth or seventh very bad performance on the road in a row and our manager doesn't seem to have a clue what to do to change it so this doesn't happen in the next away game??

Even MON must be tempted to try something different for the trip to Manure? Thought about 4-5-1 Martin - might be worth a shot?

Played shit against a side that've won all but 1 game at home this season, yet came away with something. I hear that's what good teams usually do.

It's just hilarity reading the sarcy Heskey and MON tactical genius comments after something like this. Even better for those that chose to turn their streams off.

Taken in isolation, this result would not be bad. But the performance was very poor and it is the sixth or seventh very bad performance on the road in a row and our manager doesn't seem to have a clue what to do to change it so this doesn't happen in the next away game??

Even MON must be tempted to try something different for the trip to Manure? Thought about 4-5-1 Martin - might be worth a shot?

Only Man city have lost less away games than us so far.

Only the 4 teams above us have won more away games than us so far.

5 teams have scored more goals than us away from home.

2 teams have let in less goals than us away from home.

Performances may not always be pretty for the whole 90 minutes but i don't think we've reached panic stations just yet.