• Sidwell
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Carew
    • Agbonlahor
    • Heskey
    • Downing

i'm not saying i thought it was a genius decision that would work without fail but it's ridiculous to get so worked up about things before they happen.

I wouldn't class my comment of "Heskey on, Luke Young off, hahahaha" as getting "worked up".

In fact I just thought it was amusing.

Still, if ye want to lump everyone into the same bracket............

He wants to lump everyone into the same bracket.

All I can hope is that for as long as MON continues to play this system, it will eventually be found out, as it has been on numerous occasions. If we had deployed correct tactics in games this season I think we'd be sat in 2nd place.

And to be honest the only time I have seen this system work was in the first half against Man City, I wasn't as impressed with us against Chelsea, and our goals came from hideous defensive errors by Chelsea.

As someone suggested earlier, the lack of awareness of Petrov and Sidwell in the middle makes the rest of the team perform like headless chickens. Without the support next to him (in NRC), Sidwell can't run on and support the strikers. He is constantly aimlessly running about in a midfield that is doing next to nothing.

This central midfield problem is going to cost us, and whenever the right personnel have been deployed there, we have achieved good results and have looked fairly potent.

The problem is that the central midfield is super critical to any football team. We are strong everywhere else but because Petrov/Sidwell are so weak as a pair the negative impact on the rest of the team is immense. We can't get a foot in, get the ball down and play. These 2 run around like headless chickens, contribute little and the result is the defense comes under pressure and the attacking players can't get the ball.

Selecting Petrov ahead of Reo-Coker in CM after a 5-1 win is a bizzare to say the least and I am baffled that it is so clear to everyone that the team functions better with Reo-Coker in the team but O'Neil does not see it. Baffled.

We're always going to be weaker than most in centre midfield because we play with 2 wingers. It puts too much pressure on the two centre midfield players because they're doing the work of three players. One solution would be to drop one winger and play another centre midfielder. The easier solution would be to drop the terminally ineffective Sidwell, and bring in Downing to play in Gareth Barry's old role.

I think we'd be much stronger with that change.

Totally agree. I would love to see Coker and Downing in CM. Coker as the defensive midfielder, breaking up the play and putting his foot in. Downing as the playmaker.

I just cannot see what Petrov and Sidwell are giving to this team at the moment and am amazed at how untouchable they are (Petrov in particular).

I think Petrov is better in that midfield role than Reo Coker. He's just too clumsy on the ball, and gives away too many free kicks.

I think it's a disgrace NRC didn't start, let alone come on.

He's hardly been that good in a Villa shirt to warrant such adulation.

He's just capatained a side that won 5-1, their biggest win in over a year.

He's started 4 games this season, we've won all 4.

He can't get a game while no other midfielders in our team are excelling, It's not as if are midfielders are brilliant but we're not getting the results, none of our midfielders are putting in consistantly good performances, so surely he at least deserves a go to make a position his own, well I suppose he did last week but I suppose winning 5-1 and being captain just isn't enough

What else is he meant to do.

Lexicon, I'm a huge supporter of O'Neill and always have been, but why can't I critisice selections which obviously aren't working, we've started 4-5-1 twice this season away from home, won 2. We've started 4-4-2 away from home 5 times and won 0. He has the potential to be one of the greatest managers around but he's fustrating the hell out of me by simply making wrong decisions. It's that simple, I'm personally annoyed at the line up today after such a positive result 2 weeks ago.

Change the bloody record.

Sorry. Yeah everything is perfect, every decision is right and it's impossible to do any better than we have been doing. Petrov is basically brilliant while Reo-Coker despite facts is actually just a non league player.

Nobody's saying everything's perfect dude, they're just saying that you've made your point and everyone knows what your opinion is.

Sorry. Yeah everything is perfect, every decision is right and it's impossible to do any better than we have been doing. Petrov is basically brilliant while Reo-Coker despite facts is actually just a non league player.

facepalm1.jpg

I will be honest mate I half agree with what you are saying but you are ruining the site for me at the minute with the same shit in EVERY thread.

People might say to ignore your posts but it just is not possible.

At the end of the day we are 4th in the league and I want to stay positive so I guess I should just log off for the night.

Have fun.

BTW well said Lexicon

Lexicon, I'm a huge supporter of O'Neill and always have been, but why can't I critisice selections which obviously aren't working, we've started 4-5-1 twice this season away from home, won 2. We've started 4-4-2 away from home 5 times and won 0. He has the potential to be one of the greatest managers around but he's fustrating the hell out of me by simply making wrong decisions. It's that simple, I'm personally annoyed at the line up today after such a positive result 2 weeks ago.

You can bitch/criticise all you want, it's not going to change anything. We ground out a point against a team with a fantastic home record without playing well, those are the important facts. Rest assured, MON knows better than you or anyone else here - just leave him be and be happy we're 4th.

I think it's a disgrace NRC didn't start, let alone come on.

He's hardly been that good in a Villa shirt to warrant such adulation.

He's just capatained a side that won 5-1, their biggest win in over a year.

He's started 4 games this season, we've won all 4.

He can't get a game while no other midfielders in our team are excelling, It's not as if are midfielders are brilliant but we're not getting the results, none of our midfielders are putting in consistantly good performances, so surely he at least deserves a go to make a position his own, well I suppose he did last week but I suppose winning 5-1 and being captain just isn't enough

What else is he meant to do.

Stats can be manipulated to suit any argument. For instance, in the Blues game it wasn't till NRC was substituted that we scored the only goal of the game, so his contribution to that win is debatable. And that's just from the top of my head.

NRC isn't a bad player, but this adulation and hysterical calls for him to be picked is just baffling. He's done nothing in a Villa shirt to justify it.

I think that some Villa fans with an agenda are using it as a convenient stick to beat O'Neill with.

wow

Sitting pretty in 4th place.

Yep, life's pretty good at the Villa so far this season!

Just got back. Really annoyed with the selection, why the hell he had to change it after last game even to accomodate Petrov I don't know, captain or not. Thank god for Heskey.

Oh, and Burnley is a bloody shitehole. 1 toilet for the whole away end? And I'm sure anyone else who parked at that Cricket Club will know what I mean when I say it was a nightmare to get off.